Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Views of the outdoor cooker market

Taf Powell

Taf Powell

Wandering Dood
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I was hoping to view cooking gear in the club shop today: but I am redirected to 'Campervanbits' site. These people seem to have limited ranges of gear. Have I missed something?
Back to the main point. The Cadac cooker seems well liked. I am a Weber bbq fan chez moi and wonder if the club grill-meisters have a view on the pros and cons of the Cadac Pro 2020 or Safari versus the Weber, e.g. the Q2000 (link: https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecues/gas-barbecues/q-series--/53010374.html )? Big price difference I know, but the Cadac Safari looks a tad small, and the Pro 2020 a tad lightweight. The Weber has scale and robustness. Does the Cadac perform?
BTW lots of gear of all kinds out of stock. Obs everybody's getting ready to break out! Waiting for surgery to repair a leg - then Molly (doodle) and I'll be joining them!:cool:

I am really pleased with my Primus Tupike.
It wasn't cheap but
1) it can use any gas cylinder (via range of different adapters)
2) really good control of gas (e.g. simmering)
3) looks beautiful

I own 3 barbecues - two charcoal and one gas.

A proper weber master touch charcoal one with an extension ring for home entertaining - this one is use to smoke joints of meat for numerous hours.

A weber go anywhere charcoal for taking to the beach - great for small social occasions or where every family brings their own small BBQ

A cadac safari chef for the Cali - with pizza stone. Has both campingaz and disposable cartridge regulators so this is the stock "cook outside" option for the van. Charcoal is too much of a faff to heat, cool and carry the fuel for so despite my dislike of gas BBQ, it wins all the prizes. -edit - note it IS tiny - if we were more than 2+1 I would be looking at a bigger version of the cadac.

Horses for courses

I am also a multi BBQ owner and I use the Cadac Safari Chef in the van with the small gas canisters. I bought it after seeing some good reviews on this forum and I haven’t been disappointed. the fact that all the components fit in such a small, tidy bag is a genuine bonus and the cooking pans and griddle are extremely easy to clean. It was a good purchase for me.

I have not dragged a BBQ out with me so far, but we have a small Weber I would try it with.

Probably way off what you are thinking about, but... For actual cooking I am a bit of a Coleman enthusiast, and therefore use old stuff that burns camp fuel (not unleaded petrol, but the same thing really and you can use UL if you are desperate).
I have a 2 burner stove circa 1968, or a much larger 3 burner stove from the early 60's. They are awesome. Additionally, I have a range of 1 burner stoves that go from old (1947) to modern (2013), which also use camp fuel. I'd much rather have liquid fuel than gas which you can't see, don't know why! At a minimum I find you need 2 burners whether 2 x single, or 1 x double. Three is luxury and makes cooking for 4 and making tea, etc. much easier.

I have looked at the Biolite camp fire thingy, but in the end I'd probably take the Weber rather than pay £200 for something that does the same basically.

Dear kp64zl (trying to work on the cryptics/pronounciation of that), steve_b, HB19, and Swiss Cheese, you capture the spirit of this amazing club. In a few hours come 4 different and entirely valid opinions that has made me think out of my box - or begin to, I am a bit of a dim wit like that. Thanks and have a great summer soon. England and Switzerland are unlocking a bit quicker than Scotland it seems.
Taf

To add fuel (pun intended) to your thoughts, here are photos of:

a) my two burner cooking 2 x steaks and mushrooms in the snow near Lenzerheide
20200215_175650.jpg
b) the three burner stove doing a full cooked breakfast, including warming up croissants in the oven
20200422_090427 (1).jpg

To say I'm jealous doesn't do justice to my feelings, Swiss Cheese.:oops:
Taf

I am really pleased with my Primus Tupike.
It wasn't cheap but
1) it can use any gas cylinder (via range of different adapters)
2) really good control of gas (e.g. simmering)
3) looks beautiful
kp64zl, is not the gas hose for the tupike short to fit a campingaz 907? Have you tried with one?

kp64zl, is not the gas hose for the tupike short to fit a campingaz 907? Have you tried with one?
Works fine - but I bought an extra long hose from primus for the occasions when more length needed. Also got the POL adapter that fits on UK Calor Propane cylinders as so much cheaper and easier to find refills for. I now Have a set of adapters to cover most Europe gas cylinders. So not tied to campingaz

Hi Taf

On EHU we use a double hotplate and electric griddle as a barbecue, when not on EHU we use a Trangia.

Probably way off what you are thinking about, but... For actual cooking I am a bit of a Coleman enthusiast, and therefore use old stuff that burns camp fuel (not unleaded petrol, but the same thing really and you can use UL if you are desperate).

Nice setup! I have used a Coleman 424 with my VW T1 for about 15 years. On a number of occasions I disconnected the fuel line from the engine to fill up the cooker. And on one occasion used the fuel from the stove and bottle for the stove in the fuel tank to get me one mile to the fuel station (fuel gauge stopped working).

With the beach I have just got a Jetboil, as the most common use for the stove was just heating water for hot drinks. I am considering getting a new gas stove (I like that Primus Tupike) as I never enjoyed filling up the stove with fuel. I do have one of the single hob campingaz stoves that uses the aerosol shaped disposable canisters

For BBQs I have a Weber Q100 and a Safari chef. The Q100 is very large for transport and rattles a lot so needs bits of cardboard jammed into it. We have only used that when we are cooking for a few other people as well. I might see if I can get a eurocrate for it to fit into,

We use 2 x £10 stoves that take a small gas cylinder which you can buy for £1 each..Last year we were away for 3 weeks and apart from occasionally using the van cooker we used about 6 x £1 cylinders..we have found them perfect for us and when the cookers start to look a bit tatty we just buy new ones. But they do tend to last a few years..

As above ...

I have a few camping gas bistro stoves, I use them at home when both my Weber mastertouch kettles are fired up, great for simmering stuff when the BBQ's are occupied, and I always have a couple in the van. I bought half a dozen when they were on offer at £7.50 each from Blacks, pay full price and it's a walloping hit of £12.50.

In their own carry boxes, the size of a small flat attache case, slips between my two Vango carry boxes in the boot along with my £20 quid eurohike roll-up camping table which I cook on and a few spare canisters, a pound each, can be tossed anywhere. The easiest stove ever to set up and get burning, slot in canister, put heat setting to max, push setting lever down to spark the piezo and away you go.

Always, even in winter, have one with me: Very useful emergency standby for my gas bottle should it ever run out on me.

We use 2 x £10 stoves that take a small gas cylinder which you can buy for £1 each..Last year we were away for 3 weeks and apart from occasionally using the van cooker we used about 6 x £1 cylinders..we have found them perfect for us and when the cookers start to look a bit tatty we just buy new ones. But they do tend to last a few years..
About € 1.20 over here, great little stoves better burner than the Cali hob and the gas per/kg is half the price of 907 (€ 25 refill in Italy/France)

About € 1.20 over here, great little stoves better burner than the Cali hob and the gas per/kg is half the price of 907 (€ 25 refill in Italy/France)
You are quite right..We avoid using the Cali stove as much as possible..Gas 907 refill in Spain last year €18 ..

Back