Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vikky (V*1*KKY)

A

Ant Clerici

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We collected our Blue Cali on Friday from South Hereford: muddy tyres, bacon sandwich and a cuppa on the way home! I've worked out how to park within 50mm of the garage doors (occupied by a couple of bikes). Looking forwards to trying it out......one question (I guess I know the answer) when I learnt to drive in a 1970's VW we always waved/flashed other campers but not now?

Hi ant welcome along. You may get the odd wave from other T5's
Enjoy

Oh I get lots and lots of waves :D

Mostly by people with water leaks, burst boilers, flooded drains.... they think I'm the plumber arriving :(

Little chance of me flashing light from here...

So i just say , hi and welcome....

Wave to the California's and you might well get a wave back. However with the others you may get the finger rather than a wave. It's the converted "twin sliders" that can cause a problem.:D

Got a wave today from a Natural Grey Cali near St.Annes on Sea.:thumb

We collected our Blue Cali on Friday from South Hereford: muddy tyres, bacon sandwich and a cuppa on the way home! I've worked out how to park within 50mm of the garage doors (occupied by a couple of bikes). Looking forwards to trying it out......one question (I guess I know the answer) when I learnt to drive in a 1970's VW we always waved/flashed other campers but not now?
Hi Ant Clerici (what does it stand for?) and welcome.

Unfortunately it's not easy (for some) to distinguish a Cali from the many other T5's and there are too many of those to expect a wave (although I and others on this forum can spot them from afar). In 5 years of Cali ownership I can only recall one wave and that was from a conversion....

Colin

Get and give waves on a very regularly. Normally other campers (usually the awning helps the spotting of another campervan and being on driver's side makes the spotting of a Cali more likely) Also around here plenty of non camper t5 and sometimes t4 waving.
Welcome to the forum

When I'am concentrating on safe driving & miss lots of things passing my wife just shouts WAVE so I just wave on order. She then says did you see that Cali then I say what Cali......lol

Steve & Gill

Thanks everyone.....first trips planned to Suffolk, then Shropshire.....then.......?

Hope you enjoy your new Cali, we wave and have been waved to a few times. Ours is harder to spot as we do not a awning.

Thank you to a fellow T5 owner who gave me a hearty wave on my first journey with Fred....on taking delivery.
It brought a huge proud smile to my face...I was 'in the club'!
Now I challenge myself to give hearty waves and see if I get a reaction! It usually works!

I get more people wave from non camper T5's than in California's. Possibly because my van looks like a Sportline.

I got frantically waved at by another natural grey - possibly a Caravelle or Transporter (couldn't tell) in Bushy Park last week - its usually me doing that, so felt quite pleased to have had it done to me for a change..!

We got our very first wave from a red Cali overtaking us whilst driving north in
France on our way back from Easter hols:)

We tend to find that the blinged T5 owners wave the most. I think because they are about the T5 rather than being camper first and T5 owners second. We do keep score of waves offered vs wave reciprocated. Just for fun you understand. Bonus points if you get a Splitty or a Bay to wave.

An update - first night in Vikky last weekend was great even though it was f,f,f,f,freezing outside. Had some Cali waving activity :thumb Remoska worked well. New windscreen (thank you Biffa :mad:) bedded in. Thank you to the forum for endless tips and guidance ;) Next Shropshire and Morecombe Bay then maybe the Netherlands.....

Back