Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Visiting the UK in June. Looking for tips

Kurt, if you are visiting Northumberland coast, a visit to Craster to sample the smoked seafood and then a walk along the spectacular coast to Dunstanburgh castle is worth consideration.

Kurt, if you are visiting Northumberland coast, a visit to Craster to sample the smoked seafood and then a walk along the spectacular coast to Dunstanburgh castle is worth consideration.
Thanks Steve! That one just got pinned on the google maps. Here's an overview of what I pinned sofar. Love that you can look at photos of all the places on google maps.44407

Your going to need to come back again to do that lot in 20 days.

Seriously, do some point to point travel times to give you an idea of travel times between each place and the next point, your going to have to pick some favourites and base the other site visits on the other places around the the favourites and the route between each place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely I won't be doing all of them. Eventually I'll be picking my favourites and leave some others for another time. We'll be driving North fairly quickly and spent most of the time in Yorkshire and Northumberland.

You can camp at kielder castle car park overnight. It's a cracking spot. Just a small car park fee to pay. There is toilets but not sure about showers? A must visit is the observatory near by. If you like walking and it sounds like you do you can walk dead water fell from there. And theres a pub too.
on hadrians wall route near the sycamore gap is a pub called 'the twice brewed inn' . you can camp free in their car park if you eat in the pub. showers available and the food and real ale is great.
[/
Re South Scotland - Edinburgh is worth a visit
we go to Edinburgh regularly. The site we use is Morton Hall.
There is a bus stop near the site entrance and the bus takes you right into the centre in around 20min. We buy a family day ticket at the site shop. That also lets you use the tram in the city. No need to to have your car in the city.

Good hard standing (but don’t forget your levellers) with hookup, showers clean and decent pressure. Excellent pub on site to have a swift one before bed.

Little video of our trip to Northumberland early this year. Gives you some idea of what it's like.

We liked Westfield Paddocks campsite for a one-night stay: you can walk to the (very fine) beach at Seahouses, and it's close to Bamburgh Castle and Lindisfarne.

It is adults-only, and no toilets or shower - we had a loo tent - if they'd had a facilities block we probably would have stayed longer.

IMHO Edinburgh is quite a trek north (A1 not that exciting either) from the borders if you're short on time. I would return and do Scotland as a separate trip on its own. Take the time to explore the beautiful NE England area instead.

We live in Newcastle and not aware of any campsites, Whitley bay as mentioned above will probably be best. If staying slightly north towards berwick try Paxton house the site is in the old halls walled gardens so pretty nice no toilets though.

Northumberland had loads of castles/stately homes etc so if you intend to visit a few a national/scottish trust or English heritage membership is probably worth considering as they add up quickly.

Apart from the castles etc, a few not so common places to visit are corbridge Roman fort, Belsay hall, wallington hall, or aydon castle.

Cheers
Chris

Back