Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vw assistance renewal

Freeley

Freeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Has anyone else had their renewal through since it changed from RAC to AA?
Just had mine through and it said that "your vw assist breakdown cover is due for renewal" or words to that effect.
No mention that it is no longer anything to do with vw anymore which I thought was a bit naughty.
Is there any reason to cancel and go with the official breakdown vw cover or shall I just stick with this policy?
I've got the same cover by the looks of it and the renewal price is the same as last year.
Just wondered whether there was any advantage to keeping it vw official?
The European cover is the most important element for us especially as we're going away next week during the renewal period.

Funny you should mention this Jason as RAC has been pestering me this week as my renewal is due in a few weeks

I think the RAC are trying their luck saying we can renew with them for the same price, they are also claiming the service has not changed ( which it has ,as it is now run in partnership with the AA)

To renew and get the proper VW Assistance I would call VW and get it with them as you still have the chance of a VW technician coming out to you plus the added benefit of being covered in Europe ( which RAC charge extra for )

Ah didn't realise the euro cover was extra, that settles it then.
Cheers Martin.

Just had my VW Roadside Assistance in partnership with AA renewal for my 1 year old VW Polo and it says,

-Specially trained Volkswagen technicians-

I thought all that finished with swop from the RAC to AA. I rang up and the person was most insistent that the VW techs came across to the AA. Anyone know any different?

snowy55 said:
I thought all that finished with swop from the RAC to AA. I rang up and the person was most insistent that the VW techs came across to the AA. Anyone know any different?

That's what I was told by a technician a few weeks ago, he said all the original VW techs had all been employed by the AA now.

We will renew with VW. If any light comes on the dash ring em up and they come to you and diagnose it, even on the driveway.

What is the cost of vw assist after year 3 ?

When my VW assist cam to an end I 'renewed' it with RAC. I get the same cover as VW assist including european cover. Also priced up AA cover but was over twice the cost of the RAC.

Meoncoast said:
What is the cost of vw assist after year 3 ?
I got it for £125 per year providing I signed up for 2

Just looking through my RAC policy booklet now - european cover is included but on page 7 it says there is a supplement of £340 to cover "a motor caravan or minibus which must be under 11 years old"
So is a California a motor caravan? If it is then this is going in the bin....

And how do you actually go about taking out the offical VW Assistance (with AA)?
It has all the info on the VW site and phone numbers for enquiries or if you've broken down, but no way of actually taking out a policy that I can see?

When mine ran out, I added on the breakdown for Europe through Comfort insurance which is done by the RAC anyhow.....

Freeley said:
Just looking through my RAC policy booklet now - european cover is included but on page 7 it says there is a supplement of £340 to cover "a motor caravan or minibus which must be under 11 years old"
So is a California a motor caravan? If it is then this is going in the bin....

Just checked my details & yes the booklet does say that. However in my "Welcome to the Club" letter under "Level of membership" amongst others it states "European Cover"
I will be ringing them tomorrow to check I'm covered, if not I will not be a happy camper.

Martin said:
https://volkswagen-vans.co.uk/owners/roadside-assistance/

0800 77 71 72

Cheers Martin.
First call tomorrow will be to RAC to check euro cover, but think I'll be going with VW anyway unless they quote me a silly price.

Let us know how you get on Jason, also ask them about dedicated VW technicians, if they still exist or not.

snowy55 said:
Just had my VW Roadside Assistance in partnership with AA renewal for my 1 year old VW Polo and it says,

-Specially trained Volkswagen technicians-

Martin this is what I was told when I rang up

But with reference to Simon's membership of the AA would you get the dedicated VW tec support via normal AA membership?

Well I never even bothered asking the RAC about the £340 supplement in the end - I rang vw assist first and they quoted me £145 for 2 years via direct debit so I took it out with them. Cancelled RAC renewal afterwards. Looking at the renewal letter again it's not on at all how they've worded it, unless you knew that they'd lost the vw contract you'd think it was still vw assist.
And vw confirmed that their technicians had moved to AA.

I spoke to VW today aswell to sort out my renewal, I also advised them what RAC are doing.

Beware if you get a renewal letter or phone call from RAC

On a new California the VW Assistance lasts for 3 years according to the brochure !

"Sometimes, the unexpected happens.If it does, your new Volkswagen comes with an unlimited-mileage recovery and assistance package. It lasts the samethree years as your warranty and operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.Cover is available across the UK and most of Europe. Our fully trained technicians can diagnose most problems at the roadside and they use Volkswagen quality parts."

But on the VW Assistance website it states

"If your Volkswagen is under one year old, you have Volkswagen Roadside Assistance provided free of charge. Touareg and Phaeton owners have three years’ complimentary cover."

So which is it for the California.

Mine runs out on the 15th; I'll give them a call too.
I have three months AA cover carried over; does the cover have to run without a gap?

Which had a a bit in about warranty this month which states VW only one year.
I spoke to the dealer about this and he confirmed that is for the car section, Cali is definitely covered for 3 years.
Did have me worried though as we recently found out that my daughters two year old Abarth 500 was only one year just after she returned from a 10k mile trip round Europe.

Only one year?! Lovely cars but that's insane!

An RAC bloke came out when I had to get an EGR fault code sorted; tried to sell me European cover (proper hard sell) that I already had. I was also sold a battery I didn't need by them years ago; never again!

Back