Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Beach Sell Or Keep?

P

PhilSut1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I've got a dilemma about whether to sell or keep our Beach and would appreciate any perspectives. We've got a 2017 Beach we've had since new and have used it for many great family holidays to Europe and camping weekends. Now our sons are mid teens they are less keen on long trips away in the van and with GCSEs and A Levels coming up, weekend camping trips will be few and far between. By the time they've both left home in 5 years or so I will be nearing retirement and looking to upgrade the Beach to an Ocean or Motorhome for retirement trips with my wife. Currently, we also use the Beach as our family car. My dilemma is whether to sell the Beach and buy a car for 5 or so years until we buy a new camper van / motorhome or whether to keep the Beach and use it mostly as a car but also very occasional camping trips. Will I actually lose more money on depreciation in the end if I sell the Beach and buy a car than if I just keep the Beach to use as a car?

Buy a small hatchback (one the kids can learn to drive in(and you can use)), and buy a motorhome to tow the hatchback on Holidays
A 2017 Beach is worth about £30K on trade in at present.....mine was

I've got a dilemma about whether to sell or keep our Beach and would appreciate any perspectives. We've got a 2017 Beach we've had since new and have used it for many great family holidays to Europe and camping weekends. Now our sons are mid teens they are less keen on long trips away in the van and with GCSEs and A Levels coming up, weekend camping trips will be few and far between. By the time they've both left home in 5 years or so I will be nearing retirement and looking to upgrade the Beach to an Ocean or Motorhome for retirement trips with my wife. Currently, we also use the Beach as our family car. My dilemma is whether to sell the Beach and buy a car for 5 or so years until we buy a new camper van / motorhome or whether to keep the Beach and use it mostly as a car but also very occasional camping trips. Will I actually lose more money on depreciation in the end if I sell the Beach and buy a car than if I just keep the Beach to use as a car?
Personally I would keep it unless it's only going to be used for short runs to the shops or school run. Depreciation on a new vehicle is bound to be greater over 5 yrs than on the Beach over next 5 yrs.

If its running well with no problems then I’d keep it. Cali’s are brilliant as a daily and so versatile. You’ll probably miss it if you sold it.

It’s easy to see what you’ll loose by selling the Beach and getting a small car. But I’m not quite sure what you’ll gain. Is it just about saving a bit on running cost by having a lighter, more economical vehicle? Is this really worth sacrificing all the flexibility the Beach gives you?

I assume the Beach is paid off by now. So it’s “free” so to speak. Unless there’s some kind of significant quality-of-life benefit to swapping it for a small car, I’m a bit puzzled at why you would want to get rid of it seeing as you’re still using it as a camper. The fact that the kids have outgrown their “camping trips with the parents” phase will only make the beach even more comfortable as you won’t have to deal with the kids being here too.

Keep it, depreciation slows as camper vans get older. Any car will depreciate at a far greater rate.

If you plan to get an Ocean, now is a good time to purchase a new stock one with the 0% finance deals people have spoken about on here. And in 5 years time the bellows saga should be well behind us!

Largely depends how you would do the buying and selling. If you do all the selling and buying privately, it may be worth the chopping and changing. If you plan to use dealers for all the transactions to make life easier, it will cost £thousands and you'll be effectively going backwards. Best to keep the poorly used Beach in that case as the additional running costs (over a car) will be negligible Vs the margin the dealers would have taken from you.

If you plan to get an Ocean, now is a good time to purchase a new stock one with the 0% finance deals people have spoken about on here. And in 5 years time the bellows saga should be well behind us!

…or keep the older van with the watertight roof, and more cash in your pocket.

Last edited:
It is personal choice…. A smaller, cheaper car will cost less to run, but costs might depend on the mileage you do and if any mechanicals. If you get a bigger newish car, then it will likely cost much more than the Beach and cost the same/more to run but perhaps not be as practical. Depreciation is also likely to be more if it is newer. I’d forget all that, however, and imagine how you’d feel watching your Beach drive off with its new owner for new adventures and knowing that you can’t do that anymore….

Ask yourself a question.

Could I replace the Beach like for like for what I sell it for ?
(in the near future )

Back