Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW bike rack or not?

J

jet4415

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
This is a brilliant site.
Very excited as have just put a deposit down on 2015 T5 California but am now having second thoughts about asking for the £585 VW bike rack to be included in the spec. We will use our bikes when we go away and locally but at most once each week.
Just wondering:
1) Is it easy to take on and off? We have space to store it in the garage.
2) If I become a VIP member on this site can I get it cheaper than £585? Seems a lot for a bike rack and feel I got carried away.
3) The Atera one is cheaper but is it easy to fit?
Need to decide as order is going ahead and will have to ring on Monday to change order so any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

1) Is it easy to take on and off? We have space to store it in the garage.
2) If I become a VIP member on this site can I get it cheaper than £585? Seems a lot for a bike rack and feel I got carried away.

You already are a VIP Member, if you call Steve Mann at SMG Cowfold you will get 10% discount and they will ship it to you, also Banwy do good deals on bike racks.

very popular for drying clothes also....:D

Last edited:
I just fitted a VW rack from Banwy. The price was good and it is easy to fit.

The van just looks 'wrong' without it.

See nothing "wrong " on mine not having a bike rack ....
I never go on cycling vacation so why would be having a bike rack , certainly noting "wrong" not having a bike rack .
Don't say i never buy one , but for the moment we travel with our dog and we do a lot of walking....;)

Last edited:
Thank you for all your replies. A Banwy it shall be I think and spend the difference on something else for the van.

We bought ours from Banwy. Arrived promptly and easy to fit. It is an excellent quality rack and well worth the extra on the alternatives in my view. Also great that it doesn't interfere with lights so no need for a back board etc. Banwy price is very good too.

See nothing "wrong " on mine not having a bike rack ....
I never go on cycling vaction so why would be having a bike rack , certainly noting "wrong" not having a bike rack .
Don't say i never buy one , but for the moment we travel with are dog and we do a lot of walking....;)
Agree....it's not a question of looking 'wrong' it's what suits individual circumstances...we have VW rack as we cycle but the California looks great whatever the configuration....bike rack or not!

This is a brilliant site.

3) The Atera one is cheaper but is it easy to fit?

Very easy to fit and remove. Takes me under 5mins to put on and even less to remove. As std it takes 3 bikes, but you can get a 4th tray and arm. 4 adult bikes would be a struggle I feel though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 2014 Generation imported from EU. It's pretty well "loaded" and has the VW 4 x bike rack. The rack is far too high for me and I only need to carry a single bike, two max. if both road and MB would be going. Tow hitch rack is unsuitable for my purposes due to what (I think) is known in 4x4 circles as the approach angle. What I am looking for is an elegantly designed, light-weight, tail-gate mounted, 1 or 2 x bike rack which mounts the bikes about a foot lower than the VW 4 x bike standard T5 version. Height is of paramount importance because it slows down the loading/securing process particularly on these days when you just want to throw the thing on and drive ten miles to your favourite glen for a blast. These are absolutes, I am not interested in trailers or roof racks. I have seen that perhaps Fiamma have something like this for earlier versions, but maybe not the T5? I don't care whether it obscures the number plate, I can deal with that. Hopefully someone can educate me. For the record, as a devout petrolhead and design lover, I like the shape of the T5 and I think the both the VW rack and side canopy ruin the aesthetics: I'd rather have simple, light alternative items that are easily removeable by one person. Thanks in advance.

Have a look at the Altera Linea tailgate rack. As standard the bikes sit at the same height as the VW one but I recon that it would be possible to drop the platform by 20cm if two new holes were drilled for the pivot points. Prob need to get an engineering company with a pilar drill to get the holes accurate. Upper mounting arms that clamp onto the bike frame will be further away so prob need to use the medium and long ones only. The 3rd wheel tray can be easily unbolted if you don't need it. Lower down the lights and number plate will be obscured so a lighting board needed.
Any lower would be possible but involve moving more parts and probably a new inner frame being fabricated.
The Altera is easy and quick to remove/fit by one person.
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Owen,

Looks like the solution.

rmaxibiza

image.jpeg I am happy with my Fiamma rack
Takes minutes to put on and off
I have it as a 3 at the moment, but will take a rail off and make is smaller and neater when we are two in the not to distant future
It was half the price of the VW rack
I will take a better pic if you are interested

Thanks I will look if you'd oblige with a better pic. As I said I already have the VW rack onboard and it's the height that's the real problem. Best rmaxibiza

I have a 2014 Generation imported from EU. It's pretty well "loaded" and has the VW 4 x bike rack. The rack is far too high for me and I only need to carry a single bike, two max. if both road and MB would be going. Tow hitch rack is unsuitable for my purposes due to what (I think) is known in 4x4 circles as the approach angle. What I am looking for is an elegantly designed, light-weight, tail-gate mounted, 1 or 2 x bike rack which mounts the bikes about a foot lower than the VW 4 x bike standard T5 version. Height is of paramount importance because it slows down the loading/securing process particularly on these days when you just want to throw the thing on and drive ten miles to your favourite glen for a blast. These are absolutes, I am not interested in trailers or roof racks. I have seen that perhaps Fiamma have something like this for earlier versions, but maybe not the T5? I don't care whether it obscures the number plate, I can deal with that. Hopefully someone can educate me. For the record, as a devout petrolhead and design lover, I like the shape of the T5 and I think the both the VW rack and side canopy ruin the aesthetics: I'd rather have simple, light alternative items that are easily removeable by one person. Thanks in advance.
you need a bones rack - simple lightweight and good for two bikes

Hmmn, certainly looks fast, small and no bother. Just looking for a picture of it on a Cali. Thanks.

View attachment 12066 I am happy with my Fiamma rack
Takes minutes to put on and off
I have it as a 3 at the moment, but will take a rail off and make is smaller and neater when we are two in the not to distant future
It was half the price of the VW rack
I will take a better pic if you are interested
Hi Cyclopath, would love to see some more pics (you know what I'm like with pics :rolleyes:) we will be getting a bike rack at some point as our family becomes more mobile! How would it look with a two ft tall pink bike with tassels on it is the real question I need answering?! ;)
Love the pic BTW and loving the poppy on the window cover as well :thumb

View attachment 12071 image.jpeg Here is my rack, set up for 3
I will remove the rear rail, and rear cross bar when I go down to two, to make it smaller. It won't obscure much of the rear window when not in use then.
I have added a side pic. The rail mount on the main frame could eaisily be lowered by removing the bolt, and drilling the hole lower down.
You could get it just above the number plate, so you didn't need an additional number plate , and all that hassle.
I was going to do that, but i find it works just fine as it is

And as for a pink bike with tassels.......it would look amazing

This is T6 there right? And I want that rack )
Die%2BAbholung%2Bunseres%2BVW%2BT6%2BCalifornia%2Bin%2BHannover%2B-%2BYouTube%2B-%2BGoogle%2BChrome%2B2016-02-25%2B17.54.19.jpg