Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack trunk

HappyGus

HappyGus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi,

I've baught, following your advices, an Atera Genio Pro for my VW T6.1.
Quite happy with it.

I plan to leave for one month, and we would like to take our inflatable kayak. Is there a way to mount some kind of "bike rack trunk" on the bike rack(without bikes obviously).

Do you know if such thing exists?

There are existing threads on here about these.

There is a 60kg weight limit on the vw bike rack. So trunk will need to be light as possible.

There is a Brandrup cloth version, but I would personally go for the aluminium trunk version.

I would attach the obligatory EU waning sign directly yo the rear face.

I would remove the bike rails and attach the trunk directly to the bike frame.

Also look to fit security bolts to replace the standard fixing bolts (again many threads on here).

I would remove the trunk for the ferry/Eurotunnel in order to reduce overall length and travel in the smaller vehicle band. Trunk inside the van and bike rack collapsed for the journey.

I would also consider fitting a motorcycle alarm to the trunk which will detect and alarm should anyone tamper with it.

Mine is one on the tow bar(atera genio pro). Do you know how such trunk are called? I'm not sure what to look for?

Atera don't appear to produce any bag or box options for their carriers.

You would either have to use a universal roof bag strapped to the Atera Carrier or look for an Alternative Carrier such as the Thule Easybase.
Thule do produce a bike Carrier that has luggage bag options, but would mean starting over.

I picked up Thule Easybase for about £100 and a bought a new bag for it. There is a box available but that has storage issues.
Later picked up a Fiamma Motorhome bike rack for £16 and used parts from that to fit onto the Easybase for bike transporting.
Negative being that it is fixed position on towball, no tilt action.

Hi,

I've baught, following your advices, an Atera Genio Pro for my VW T6.1.
Quite happy with it.

I plan to leave for one month, and we would like to take our inflatable kayak. Is there a way to mount some kind of "bike rack trunk" on the bike rack(without bikes obviously).

Do you know if such thing exists?
I have a givi outback trekker 110l very good but expensive! Or fiamma do loads of Motorhome white boxes

I’d just wrap up the inflatable kayak in a green tarp, then cam strap it to the rack, but I’m cheap like that

Hi
This is the best and only rack there is for Californias.
There was indeed a recall on the Atera Genio Pro.
I have one for sale that is Brand new and boxed and came direct from the manufacturer so no issues on recall.
This rack is currently are impossible to get hold of in the UK as anyone who has looked will know.
The RRP is £572.50. i will sell this to the first person that offers me £550!
Based close to J9 M25 for pick up.
PM me if interested

You should put it in accessories for sale tends to get a better response.

Is that the same as this one from the roof box co?

Atera GENIO PRO folding bike carrier (2 bikes) no. 022780

The Genio Pro is Atera's most innovative bike carrier yet.

Our Price
£474.95

Yes I realised it should go in accessories for sale after I posted this. Thanks.
I have listed this now in Items for sale.

Yes, the rack is exactly the one you have stated.
The problem with this rack is that as i found out to my cost, it is impossible to get hold of in the UK so whilst as you indicate, it is listed by the Roof Box Co. they have been out of stock since September last year and are only likely to get stocks later this year, if the current EU problem of shipping goods eases. Almost certainly it would appear that this will be at a higher price than they are currently advertising.

Back