Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vw Cali beach 2014 radio (head unit) broken?!

Alison Horton

Alison Horton

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
hi all
Firstly I’m very pleased to finally be on this website. Secondly my Cali beach is the best purchase I have ever made. However today I was saddened to hear my radio (which is completely dead) will cost over £500 to fix. I honestly nearly fainted. prior to buying this van I was used to car s costing 500 quid not radios.... I really thought it was a fuse....is it normal for a radio to break after less than 3 years and cost 700 pounds the vw garage managed to get 30% off as a good will gesture?!?
Has anybody had this experience please?
Best wishes
Alison

hi all
Firstly I’m very pleased to finally be on this website. Secondly my Cali beach is the best purchase I have ever made. However today I was saddened to hear my radio (which is completely dead) will cost over £500 to fix. I honestly nearly fainted. prior to buying this van I was used to car s costing 500 quid not radios.... I really thought it was a fuse....is it normal for a radio to break after less than 3 years and cost 700 pounds the vw garage managed to get 30% off as a good will gesture?!?
Has anybody had this experience please?
Best wishes
Alison
If that is VW pricing, all they will do is replace the unit, not repair it.
It is rare for such units to fail so totally after such a short period, certainly very few if any such posts on the Forum.
Firstly I would suggest getting a good auto electrician to check the power supply to the unit to rule that out. I very much doubt if VW have done this unless they are an exceptional Dealership.
If the unit is totally dead then you could replace with a 2nd hand unit, don't forget the code, or an alternative replacement from someone like Kenwood.

Lastly, which unit do you have? RNS510 or something else? DAB radio etc? Reversing camera and/or sensors.

If you have a reversing camera or sensors - do these still work?

If that is VW pricing, all they will do is replace the unit, not repair it.
It is rare for such units to fail so totally after such a short period, certainly very few if any such posts on the Forum.
Firstly I would suggest getting a good auto electrician to check the power supply to the unit to rule that out. I very much doubt if VW have done this unless they are an exceptional Dealership.
If the unit is totally dead then you could replace with a 2nd hand unit, don't forget the code, or an alternative replacement from someone like Kenwood.

Lastly, which unit do you have? RNS510 or something else? DAB radio etc? Reversing camera and/or sensors.

If you have a reversing camera or sensors - do these still work?

Thank you very much WelshGas for your reply.
Bizarrely the radio started working again and had done for 2 days?!? It is a cd/dab radio with parking sensors and everything is working normally.
I phoned the dealership who said the head unit was broken as I was worried when it started to work again there might be an electrical fault. They said it was perfectly fine to drive and there must be a problem in the Head unit shorting out /a connection problem.... ?!? The plot thickens.... I think an auto electrician is a good idea but am now waiting for a case manager to call from VW I have lost confidence in my vw dealership £105 to clean my van ? Best Alison