Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California Fridge

L

leetridini

I have a problem with my fridge, when I switch it on, you here a click under the fridge but the fridge does not switch on, the amber light goes back to red. Has anyone else had this issue? I have just got a cost for a replacement fridge from VW and it is not cheap. VW also can't tell me what brand and model fridge the California has on board.
Thanks Lee

Yes try with engine running or with EHU to be sure, could be your batteries.

Sounds like it could be compressor, if you have tried all above. Penguin refrigeration could help, you will need to do a search.
+ sidepod had his repaired quite recently by this company.

What is the model and year?

Reset the control panel ....been mentiont before by others having this .
Hold the "back" button for longer peride (15 sec or so)
Switch the panel complete of using the leftside button .
Back on , see if any change.

Try on hoop-up , engine running ,....

Don't buy a new fridge, you probably just require a new Danfoss controller. Penguin refrigeration can supply you one on an exchange basis. Our previous T5 conversion had a Cali kitchen and fridge in it, approx. £100 and it was fixed.

How much is a new fridge?

had this under warranty and the dealer replaced the fridge ....

Danfoss controllers fail on the fridge. Penguin in Havant are extremely helpful and fixed mine for about 135 including fitting. It is fairly simple to do after watching just a little fiddly.

Beware of the 10amp fuse under the seat. I had the controller replaced and it still didn't work. Penguin couldn't work it out as fridge was OK and suggested panel issue. I checked all fuses at home and one had blown. Suspect when controller fails it takes the fuse with it.

Another shout-out for Penguin Refrigeration in Havant. Our fridge failed at the start of the recent hot bank holiday weekend. Priceless timing! Yesterday I took our Cali to Penguin and they could not have been more helpful.

Sure enough it was the Danfoss controller that had failed &, in principle, it's just a matter of swapping it out for a new one, In practice, it's a pig of a job due to the very restricted access in a Cali. They took some additional time & did a little 'R&D' to work out how the job could be done in a more predictable manner.

Penguin have got slightly mixed feelings about their growing reputation for fixing Cali fridges but, if you've got a Cali fridge problem, they're your people to call...

Is it possible to have an area on the site that lists suppliers such as Penguin Refrigeration with contact details? I know there can be certain issues such as being seen to promote or endorse certain suppliers but it will be worth it if it's made clear of the conditions of use of these suppliers.

Another endorsement for Penguin Refrigeration in Havant. Breeze VW in Poole told us we needed a new fridge (circa £1,400). Having read this thread we headed off to Havant and, sure enough, Penguin replaced the Danfoss Controller (£160) and all is well. What annoys me is the the VW main dealer (Breeze), who has always serviced our Cali, could do so little to help. They were even unable to suggest someone else who could. Thanks are owed to this forum, and the posters above, or we would have had a life of warm beers!!

It’s almost as if they’re just in it for the money!!

Hi guys, I had the same problem as @Lee and got a new controller from Penguin. Replaced it and the fridge is running again but now it runs all the time. When I push the snow flake button it’s turns red and just red. In the display the fridge icon just blinks every second ind red color..... I did check all the fuses but no one is broken. Have any one heard of this? VW in Denmark don’t know what to do but replace the fridge just like the UK VW.... OMG no service there. The car is a T6 from 2016.
Thanks Folke from Denmark

Hi,
We have had the same problem as @Folke Nørgaard and @leetridini for a few days now. THe fridge was working perfectly fine and suddenly we found it off. We try to switch it on and the symbol remains lit for a few seconds and then turns off. We are based in Switzerland and have no clue of where to go. Ours is also a T6 Ocean from 2016 and we already had to change the robinet for 300 CHF...I don't want to imagine the price for the fridge...

Hi Ana,
Ohh no.... so sad to hear! We to had to get a new robinet some time ago... We're running on our good old fridge again and this is what we did - On our vacation in France we ordered a new Fridge Controller "see invoice attached + picture" at Penguin in UK (web@penguinfrigo.co.uk) received it in France and replaced it. It's only one screw away to replace but there's not to much space but it's possible. It's hidden in the left locker under the stove behind a grey round hatch. When that's done the fridge is running again BUT it can't stop but it's cooling again. What you now have to do is to reset the Control unit - Follow this link (
) It would properly show the code 3100 or 3200 or both... Think it's those numbers excuse me if I'm wrong... Some time ago. The point is that you need to reset to get them away. This can take a couple of times. If you can't do it you need a computer to do it. All Auto repairs are having one and they should be able to do this action. If you buy the fridge controller at VW they charge you 3 - 4 times more + laber. It's a bummer really and on vacation even more! While you wait buy a cheap 12V cooler put in some beers and enjoy the mountains;-) I'll be in Zermatt in the evening at the 24th of Sep. and could replace the Fridge controller in no time but can't promise that I can help with the control unit since they have there own lifes "Computers".... AND that's a long time to wait;-) Good luck! And all repairs are cheaper in Austria;-) Have a good time!

IMG_7935.jpg

Attachments

• Invoice INV-15641 for Z-FolkeNorgaard.pdf
    68 KB · Views: 27
Hi @Folke Nørgaard, thank you for your answer! I sent an email to Penguin to see if they can help us solve the problem. They sent us the troubleshooting checklist but we haven't been able to go very far with it XD. We will see what they say and order the replacement (hopefully is the same as in your case and we can solve it). On the 24th of September I will be in Italy but thank you so much for your offer. I'll let you know how everything ends!

Hi Ana,
I currently have my 2016 T6 Ocean in Geneva so if you are nearby you are welcome to come and try a comparison test, as my fridge button shows red to start with the cooling level (1-7 or so) and then J have to press fridge button again to get it operating.

Hi @ana_t6,
Cool. Remember to move the CPT unit from the old controller to the new one. Are you guys one instagram? Could be fun to follow your adventures?
Have an safe journey!
-F

IMG_7935.jpg

Thank you all for your help! In the end, while we were doing the tests that Penguin told us to do it started working again and until now everything seems to work fine. Let's hope it keeps like this. Have a nice weekend!

P.D. yes, we are on Instagram but it is more mountain than van, but feel free to follow! _ana_cr_25

Hi everyone,

I have a similar problem with my fridge in a 2014 california.
It turns on , I can hear the compressor running and it gets warm but the fridge does not get cold.
Leisure batteries are good , I've checked faults with control panel.
I had a nice guy at Van55 in Gloucester have a look and he seems to think it might be out of refrigerant. Is penguin the only place I can take it to? Anywhere closer to Gloucester? I know they are rated , but a long way to go. However happy to do so to save the 1500 quid vw have quoted. Has anyone had the gas recharged? If so the cost.

Thanks in advance.