Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW confirms plans for ID California electric camper van

I’m being too harsh.
Hold on, what’s the price of a converted Buzz…

He and I have different interpretations of the phrase “groundbreaking “!!

An ID Buzz campervan
I stand by every disparaging and pithy statement I have ever made about the Buzz Hysteria after seeing this. Very nice try though. Both extremely clever and pointless at the same time. The pop top specifically just seems somewhere to stand but for no practical reason. As a 79 - 91K camper for one though, fill your very expensive boots.

Last edited:
Two things strike me as odd about this...

1 - Why wouldn't you run everything off the mega battery already built in?

2 - Why can't third party installers seem find a new alternative to that sh*tty blue carpet they stick everywhere?

I also think that the pop top is a great idea - as you when you are runnning out of electricity you can position someone in it to act as a 'charger spotter'.

They can spot likely targets from far further than your average low down Joe.

It's fantastic that the future is already here.

Two things strike me as odd about this...

1 - Why wouldn't you run everything off the mega battery already built in?

2 - Why can't third party installers seem find a new alternative to that sh*tty blue carpet they stick everywhere?

I also think that the pop top is a great idea - as you when you are runnning out of electricity you can position someone in it to act as a 'charger spotter'.

They can spot likely targets from far further than your average low down Joe.

It's fantastic that the future is already here.
They won't be allowed to jack into the battery from an OEM standpoint. So unless a VW conversion, no option but to have a solar battery pack.

I love it! It is actually perfect, a vehicle that was long needed in the campervan market.
I hope it will be a success and they sell hundreds of thousands to people ditching their ICE camper vans and motorhomes. That will finally kill their enthusiasm for camping, they will lose a small fortune of money in the process and they will go back for good to the old trusted hotels to be reached by plane, and the few that stick to it won't make it very far from home anyway without shortening their holiday time. Then finally campsites won't be always fully booked and prices of pitches may come down too.

It’s really gonna need to have a longer range than 200 miles for us to consider. Also I would really like to be able to change it via the electric hookup in a campsite…. But I just can’t see how that will work without loads of campsites in uk and eu upgrading their electricity capacity delivery. On a number of campsites we have gone to in recent years the campsite hook up trips out if you try and boil a kettle.

I really want electric camper vans to be a success but I think it’s gonna be a faff for a few years……
I am thrill and excite - really wish buy electric california when is ready.

I have friend and he and wife they are own and living camping site. I having last week talking he of electric camping vans, electric car - for purpose charging,

and he tells to me - they are not make charge place electric campers - it is cost eu30k + make such system, and it many years take re-take this money charge fee + extra make pay charge system.

He tells he talk other camping place owner and is many say same - is cost too much and is not worth make charge place in they camping area.
He say, is same ask camping place make gasoline station camping site - for owners not must drive somewhere else replace fuel - is make understand perfect clear i think.

So electric car and camper must driving to charging place outside make battery replenish.

I still desire purchase id california!.

I’m being too harsh.
Hold on, what’s the price of a converted Buzz…
i have price of convert id buzz make profesional camper is eu 98,000.00 and is look great, but i am wait Vw makes and i can having long time guarantee so when i am kaput in mountain other country, Vw assist will rescue me.
This most important reason i am not buy convert van and i am like buy genuinely Vw make entire priduct.

I love it! It is actually perfect, a vehicle that was long needed in the campervan market.
I hope it will be a success and they sell hundreds of thousands to people ditching their ICE camper vans and motorhomes. That will finally kill their enthusiasm for camping, they will lose a small fortune of money in the process and they will go back for good to the old trusted hotels to be reached by plane, and the few that stick to it won't make it very far from home anyway without shortening their holiday time. Then finally campsites won't be always fully booked and prices of pitches may come down too.
not come down prices - is costs opertion camp sites all across is rise, costs materials and emplyess salary, energy, - everything is up - camping site price not reduce.

They won't be allowed to jack into the battery from an OEM standpoint. So unless a VW conversion, no option but to have a solar battery pack.
Does the Buzz not have V2L or V2H. It should have to keep up with the competition and looking for V2G. Especially for the price.

Can't wait to spend my holiday trying to find a Ev charging point.
Saying this as I charge on my fourth attempt . Either in use or closed for repair.
Having said that it's a 75kw fast charger on a Pub carpark, oh no the Pub's closed☹️
Love my EV when charging from home but every long journey is problematic, filled with frustration and delays.
It's not particularly cheap 79p Kw, £47 to cover approx 200 miles.
If charged from home 12p kw, £7.20
Given most EV camper charging will take place away from home base it soon becomes very expensive given the likely efficiency of a fully loaded camper.
THIS is the exact reason that I'm looking at the Multivan PHEV for my new camper: It's longer (by around 25cms) and the ability for the alternator to charge the leisure battery while driving, while also charging my Bluetti AC200MAX, is just too good to pass up in my view.

We need an EV camper to use the vehicle-to-load technology that Hyundai, MG and Kia offer with an in-vehicle 3-pin plug allowing upto 2600W draw from the main traction battery.

THEN I would consider an EV camper. With a 370W flexi solar panel on the roof. Not before.

Back