Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW confirms plans for ID California electric camper van

Nice thorough review of the ID Buzz. Low roof line unless the reporter is exceptionally tall.

I’d imagine once they start selling this as a California it will be huge money, 90-100K. All relative but I expect it to be very expensive.

I assume that long wheelbase will mean longer floorspace to have bigger batteries, so range will go up at the same time?

I’d imagine once they start selling this as a California it will be huge money, 90-100K. All relative but I expect it to be very expensive.
You can spunk untold amounts on the latest ICE California, it's the the TCO that matters, and just avoiding the VW dealer / servicing network in Sweden would be worth the initial premium alone

I’m watching the Jonny Smith YouTube right now - cannot bear the carwow fool:

• They’re talking about a LWB version to follow-on (SWB is wider, but shorter than a T6) which will surely be the California base vehicle?

• Coming with a single 77KW / 204PS at launch (WLTP 400KM / 250 miles) but both a smaller & a larger power option to follow

• Launch pricing to be similar to new Multivan (eg: from £53K) so a Cali seems possible at £80K like the current IC Ocean

• Debut is March 9 with deliveries of Cargo van & Buzz MPV from September / October

I’m watching the Jonny Smith YouTube right now - cannot bear the carwow fool:

• They’re talking about a LWB version to follow-on (SWB is wider, but shorter than a T6) which will surely be the California base vehicle?
The SWB interior looks significantly narrower than the 6.1 on the videos. I use the 3 seat bench in my 5.1 with 3 full sized six foot mountaineers on 3 full width seats, and they have shoulder room to spare. Not the case here where the middle seat is much narrower, and wouldn't change on the LWB version. If it's wider outside but narrower inside, I don't see that as progress, and it would certainly be a drawback for a California, whose interior width is crucial.

The VW chief of design also says in another video that they were not able to achieve the short front overhang of the show Buzz, which was 3-4 cm shorter than the production model. I thought something looked strange.

I hope to be proven wrong when I see it it the flesh, but I'm afraid this is another Caddy/Multivan situation: the long nosed ID 4 has had a slanted windshield tacked on in front of the structural A pillar to make it look like a van, in order to save costs. Just look how far back from the front bumper the driver is actually sitting. Then imagine if the windshield were placed at the angle of the front door window frame. And if you look at the videos, the forward vision with double A pillars on each side is...well, not ideal is being kind.

Can't wait to actually drive one.

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 12.32.01 AM.png

Last edited:
This is the double front passenger seat on the ID Buzz cargo, which has a body wider than a T6.1. Unless VW are planning on bringing back child labor, I really don't see the point.

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 2.39.18 AM.png

I'll reserve judgement til I've driven one, but am sure my 2016 diesel Beach will happily last another 5-years until there's a LWB Buzz with a larger powerpack than launch-version bringing greater real-world mileage than the 77KWs claimed 400KM / 250 miles.

I'd prefer a factory California Buzz, but 'someone' will insulate, add blinds / heater / folding 2-berth bench bed & that'll do us just fine.

I love it, although this angle is the absolute worst. This chap claims they told him 2024/25 for California Buzz.
2FC07BD1-585D-4E46-B694-6D900012183B.jpeg
28BF553A-90EF-4483-B1E2-B7C4849AFE29.jpeg
They do seem to have only allowed people over 6’4” to drive it. Jonny whatsisname and the German Chappie are all giants aswell.

Will it have swivel seats..?

I think it looks ace - but a deal breaker for us will be if the front seats swivel… they did in the concept and they talk about that on VW page too…

From what I have seen they don’t look like swivel seats - I wonder if they make it an option and possibly only on the LWB..

We put a deposit down 18months ago for one of these where we previously brought our now sold Beach. The Beach was such a great day van and we hope this could be too..

The wrap on this pre-production version is quite psychedelic.

It helps take the ‘edge’ off the very short bonnet. I used to think our i3 had a short bonnet, but the Buzz is extreme!

7DD297E3-4EF8-43D0-A1DE-BDD3CC987FCC.jpeg

I've always thought the BMW i3 as a bit of a pig, but in this picture, in this colour with the large wheels l think it looks a bit edgy.
Short noses are putting you a lot nearer the danger point and a front end accident, a bit like the old T2's

The wrap on this pre-production version is quite psychedelic.

It helps take the ‘edge’ off the very short bonnet. I used to think our i3 had a short bonnet, but the Buzz is extreme!

View attachment 89508
I would really like an i3. Along with the i8 they feel like a future classic as the first real electric car. I doubt many early Nissan Leafs still exist. As a small runaround I would really like one. Funky interior.
We're a family that a 100 mile range would work fine - anywhere further we would go in the Cali. The Mazda MX30 is aimed at us I guess.

@SusiBus the BMW i3 can be like marmite.

The first time I seen one I had similar thoughts to you. It then grew on me a lot, with lots of quirky design features (carbon fibre monocoque, no B pillar, opposite folding back doors, opposite direction door handles, centre sweeping wipers) to make it feel quite different to ‘traditional’ cars, at least those I’m familiar with.

It remains the most fun car I’ve driven.

Alas, we outgrew the i3 as a family and it had to be replaced with a larger car - a VW Touran, which is nice, but definitely less fun. I’m potentially interested in replacing the Touran with an ID Buzz, but would need to go on a similar journey as I went on with the i3 regarding its looks.

Some interesting features like the drop down towbar. The battery does cause some noticeable incursion into the living/storage space by raising the floor pan.

I’m interested in this latest van (buzz) purely as an MPV/everyday vehicle.
Happy to keep the Derv Cali as the ultimate touring machine or possibly change into something bigger, especially if the Buzz has some interesting (fingers crossed) multivan purposes like swivel seats and folding seat into bed, additional heating etc etc. Could then use the Buzz for local stuff and overnighters, where I just want to get my head down after a surf or a quick night stop somewhere.

T6.1 Caravelle is no more… Introducing the new T7 Multivan… No diesel option SWB and LWB versions (but both with the same wheelbase?)

Last edited:

T6.1 Caravelle is no more… Introducing the new Multivan… No diesel option SWB and LWB versions (but both with the same wheelbase?)
From listening to the YT vids for the Multivan it appears the chassis is the same but VW extended the floorpan past the rear axle by several inches to create the 'LWB' model. Typical cost-saving VW MEB limitations in action.

ID Buzz to be revealed some point tomorrow… Has anyone on here put down a deposit of interest?

Back