Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diesel emissions from parking heater

Don’t even know my heater is On until I open the door and it’s warmer inside . There is an initial noise on startup and then just the tic tic of the pump. Fumes, well the lady of the house has a better nose than I have and she doesn’t notice any fumes.
I use my heater, probably more than most and therin lies the problem.
Occasional use - problems.

Don’t even know my heater is On until I open the door and it’s warmer inside . There is an initial noise on startup and then just the tic tic of the pump. Fumes, well the lady of the house has a better nose than I have and she doesn’t notice any fumes.
I use my heater, probably more than most and therin lies the problem.
Occasional use - problems.
Yes, I’ve heard you should run it for at least an hour a week. Anyone got any views on that idea?

These heaters seem to be variable in their fume performance. My first Cali a 2016 Ocean stank to high heaven and we even had a complaint while running it in a pub car park to keep the frost off. Our current California, a 2019 Ocean, smells a lot less and others may not find it a problem but I still do. In an attempt to reduce the smell I have run the heater a lot, including a 5 hour stint on 10 but it has made no appreciable difference. One other thing of note, this one is much louder in the ticking department so perhaps quality control is not one of Eberspachers strong points.

Having less kids is the biggest change people can make.
Hardly. Most people already have children and grandchildren, it might be better for the planet to kill them off but it's currently not legal.

Hardly. Most people already have children and grandchildren, it might be better for the planet to kill them off but it's currently not legal.
Perhaps most people’s children could have less children.

If we could educate those children to properly care for the planet AND it’s resources that would really be a great start.

Sweden had a programme of compulsory or coerced sterilisation of children considered educationally subnormal right up until 1976. Finland was no better. Even to this day it has a marked cultural effect on how parents view their child’s or children’s education. It always annoys me when educationalists point to the Swedish or Finish model of education as a fine example of how it should be done when there has been such a shameful past, wiping out a generation of innocent low IQ children from reproduction.

For the moment it is young people who show the way to others
Unfortunately not. They wish to STOP things but have absolutely no ideas on how to REPLACE things. eg: Ban Fossil fuels - OK. You now have X number of people out of work, How do you Support them and their families?
Easy - Let the Government support them - But the Government can only spend what it raises through taxation so we will tax your parents more which will mean your family income will drop and your standard of living fall. Is that OK with you?
Oh, and by the way the developing countries and others are Not going to change until they have the same standard of living as you - why would they.

We need Research and Development to provide viable, clean alternative power to replace Fossil Fuels. Solar and Wind are stop gaps as are electric vehicles. The Pollution from these " Alternatives " is frightening in itself and will cause significant problems in the very near future.

Ideally we need Fusion Power so that we can stop using Fossil fuels for power generation and for heating etc:.

Ideally we need Fusion Power so that we can stop using Fossil fuels for power generation and for heating etc:.

Chasing fusion power may well turn out to be a little like the alchemists chasing gold.

Hydro, wind and solar are proven technologies. They can probably become cleaner. Tidal appears to be under utilised.

You now have X number of people out of work, How do you Support them and their families?
Easy - Let the Government support them
[/QUOTE
Straw man argument, renewable energy is the fastest growing source of new jobs in industrialized countries.

your family income will drop and your standard of living fall. Is that OK with you?

Not true (see above), but even if it were, yes, if it means not leaving a living hell of a world to the next generation. It becomes a moral issue, like generating power for the 40 year life of a fission nuclear plant and leaving waste which is the deadliest substance known to man for hundreds of thousands of years.

Last edited:
There are already reports about the actual pollution caused by the wind and solar industries and concerns about battery production and recycling. No country/population is willing to drop their standard of living , especially not the kids demonstrating who are still hanging onto their mobile phones and technology.
R&D is the way forward and the present dash for solar and wind power together with electric vehicles is just storing up unknown problems for the future.

To be expected.

To be expected.

Wind, solar, hydro and tidal are cleaner than coal, gas and, arguably, nuclear. Batteries at end of life are mostly recyclable.

Of course research and development has its part to play but we cannot sit on our hands doing nothing while we await fusion power or the invention of perpetual motion. Change is required, and if just incremental it is better than nothing. Cost will be less than doing nothing and must be paid whether or not the young have mobiles in their hands.

Wind, solar, hydro and tidal are cleaner than coal, gas and, arguably, nuclear. Batteries at end of life are mostly recyclable.

Of course research and development has its part to play but we cannot sit on our hands doing nothing while we await fusion power or the invention of perpetual motion. Change is required, and if just incremental it is better than nothing. Cost will be less than doing nothing and must be paid whether or not the young have mobiles in their hands.
So I trust your various properties are fully insulated and all electric to enable your tenants to do their bit for the environment as all good landlords should be doing.;)

So I trust your various properties are fully insulated and all electric to enable your tenants to do their bit for the environment as all good landlords should be doing.;)
Spent £6,000 upgrading double glazing in one last year. All boilers <5 years old and by pure coincidence serviced on Saturday, as there are annually. Would love to install solar but against the freehold.

Spent £6,000 upgrading double glazing in one last year. All boilers <5 years old and by pure coincidence serviced on Saturday, as there are annually. Would love to install solar but against the freehold.
Well done.

The minimum allowable EPC rating for let properties is set at D this year, which is not easy to meet without double glazing, lift insulation, efficient boiler. The government target increasing it to C by 2030, which can be pretty hard/ expensive to achieve on older properties as it often necessitates internal wall insulation, which is a big deal to install.
A city in America is about to bm the use of natural gas for domestic heating, so that may be the next target.

The minimum allowable EPC rating for let properties is set at D this year, which is not easy to meet without double glazing, lift insulation, efficient boiler. The government target increasing it to C by 2030, which can be pretty hard/ expensive to achieve on older properties as it often necessitates internal wall insulation, which is a big deal to install.
A city in America is about to bm the use of natural gas for domestic heating, so that may be the next target.
In Australia, new builds seem to be all electric, apart from the obligatory Barbacue for some strange reason.

The minimum this year is E not D.

The minimum this year is E not D.

EPC level E is pretty poor, 97% of homes already score at that level or higher, and properties even with solid walls should be quite easily brought to at least that standard through decent roof insulation, draught proofing, boiler, and LED light bulbs. IMO, making landlords achieve at least that very basic level E standard is long overdue. I gather it will probably move to level D, but not until 2025. I agree that an eventual move to level C will require more expensive retro-fits in quite a lot of cases.

It's an example, I think, of where 'market failures' can't be addressed effectively by voluntary schemes and things only change when commercial suppliers (landlords in this case) are forced to act by mandatory regulation. The same is true with vehicles, domestic appliances etc.

EPC level E is pretty poor, 97% of homes already score at that level or higher, and properties even with solid walls should be quite easily brought to at least that standard through decent roof insulation, draught proofing, boiler, and LED light bulbs. IMO, making landlords achieve at least that very basic level E standard is long overdue. I gather it will probably move to level D, but not until 2025. I agree that an eventual move to level C will require more expensive retro-fits in quite a lot of cases.

It's an example, I think, of where 'market failures' can't be addressed effectively by voluntary schemes and things only change when commercial suppliers (landlords in this case) are forced to act by mandatory regulation. The same is true with vehicles, domestic appliances etc.
I let a stone walked house in Wales with double glazing a new efficient Worcester boiler, 300mm of roof insulation and it just scraped an E. I was told it was because it’s an oil fired boiler, which brings the rating down. To achieve a D would need very expensive changes.

I let a stone walked house in Wales with double glazing a new efficient Worcester boiler, 300mm of roof insulation and it just scraped an E. I was told it was because it’s an oil fired boiler, which brings the rating down. To achieve a D would need very expensive changes.
The house we live in had no central heating or loft insulation when we moved in. The old lady who lived here until she died had the gas cut off in 1968 after the gas explosion on the 18th floor at Ronan Point. How she survived with just a fan heater in her bedroom and the living room I'll never understand. Perhaps that's why she didn't survive.

Ronan_Point_collapse_closeup.jpg

Like many of us in this forum (risking generalised assumptions about the average vintage of Cali owners) we didn't have central heating when I was a youngster. Just a two-bar electric fire, and put on more layers I suppose.

That's one way to reduce energy losses from a house... don't put much in. But we're all woossies now and I for one wouldn't go back.