Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diesel emissions from parking heater

We have a listed building and have done absolutely everything we can to achieve energy efficiency but are rated D mainly because we have an oil boiler. The only thing we could do to improve it would be to add solar or a windmill but they won't let us.

Back on topic! I contacted a couple of Eberspacher dealers yesterday, neither had heard of the catalytic converter or were willing to get one for me.

The house we live in had no central heating or loft insulation when we moved in. The old lady who lived here until she died had the gas cut off in 1968 after the gas explosion on the 18th floor at Ronan Point. How she survived with just a fan heater in her bedroom and the living room I'll never understand. Perhaps that's why she didn't survive.

Ronan_Point_collapse_closeup.jpg
I had never heard of this before, apparently the tower block was only two months old. The building regs changes introduced as a result of this collapse are credited with preventing Grenfell tower.

We have a listed building and have done absolutely everything we can to achieve energy efficiency but are rated D mainly because we have an oil boiler. The only thing we could do to improve it would be to add solar or a windmill but they won't let us.

Back on topic! I contacted a couple of Eberspacher dealers yesterday, neither had heard of the catalytic converter or were willing to get one for me.
I own flat in a listed building with single glazing, no loft insulation, stone walls with no wall insulation and a new gas boiler which is rated C. It’s a black art.

I own flat in a listed building with single glazing, no loft insulation, stone walls with no wall insulation and a new gas boiler which is rated C. It’s a black art.
Flats are easier as they benefit from the flat(s) below, above, to the left, to the right and/or to the back.

Flats are easier as they benefit from the flat(s) below, above, to the left, to the right and/or to the back.
There is a flat below and that’s it. I think there must some variation between assessors.

V had a maisonette in Coventry with a flat underneath hers, it never needed much heating as the heat rose from downstairs I suspect.

The house we live in had no central heating or loft insulation when we moved in. The old lady who lived here until she died had the gas cut off in 1968 after the gas explosion on the 18th floor at Ronan Point. How she survived with just a fan heater in her bedroom and the living room I'll never understand. Perhaps that's why she didn't survive.

Ronan_Point_collapse_closeup.jpg

It amazes me looking at that, that only 4 people died. Apparently they found newspaper in the joints where cement should have been.

I had never heard of this before, apparently the tower block was only two months old. The building regs changes introduced as a result of this collapse are credited with preventing Grenfell tower.
This should end ‘credited with preventing Grenfell tower collapse.’

I've just been reading up on it and it seems corners were cut by those building it. Grenfell wasn't gas related though, it was electrical fire, and although there was gas in the building it was shut off early on when the fire started to stop it having more fuel.

I've just been reading up on it and it seems corners were cut by those building it. Grenfell wasn't gas related though, it was electrical fire, and although there was gas in the building it was shut off early on when the fire started to stop it having more fuel.
Following the Ronan collapse, changes were made to structural building regulations which are credited with preventing the collapse of Grenfell according to Wiki. The fire at Grenfell was started by a fridge freezer, and the compartmentation design features failed to contain the fire.

It's not a black art it's just bonkers! Fortunately Listed buildings normally don't need an EPC ratiing, we had ours done when we were trying to get solar fitted to the shed roof as you need a D to get the feed in tariff. In the end the planners were being so difficult we gave up.

It's not a black art it's just bonkers! Fortunately Listed buildings normally don't need an EPC ratiing, we had ours done when we were trying to get solar fitted to the shed roof as you need a D to get the feed in tariff. In the end the planners were being so difficult we gave up.
I was told by the letting agent it’s easier to get an EPC than to demonstrate you are exempt. It’s another grey area. Owning a flat in a listed building is troublesome as even internal changes need plans and consent. I had to get an architect to help me replace my kitchen.

EPC level E is pretty poor, 97% of homes already score at that level or higher, and properties even with solid walls should be quite easily brought to at least that standard through decent roof insulation, draught proofing, boiler, and LED light bulbs. IMO, making landlords achieve at least that very basic level E standard is long overdue. I gather it will probably move to level D, but not until 2025. I agree that an eventual move to level C will require more expensive retro-fits in quite a lot of cases.

It's an example, I think, of where 'market failures' can't be addressed effectively by voluntary schemes and things only change when commercial suppliers (landlords in this case) are forced to act by mandatory regulation. The same is true with vehicles, domestic appliances etc.
Off topic...
I’ve looked into this now, and there is an unconfirmed proposal to increase it to D by 2025. The current cost cap for landlords improvements is £3500 to bring it up toward an E, so assuming a similar cap is applied to bring it to a D, I would need to increase their rent by £65 a just month to cover this cost. The energy savings for the tenant are tiny.
A mandatory electrical installation report is also about to be legally required (EICR), mortgage interest payments are now taxable, and there is no 10% wear and tear allowance. An additional 3% stamp duty is also payable on purchases.
I have no problem with providing a good standard of let, but renting is going to become even more expensive.

Off topic...
I’ve looked into this now, and there is an unconfirmed proposal to increase it to D by 2025. The current cost cap for landlords improvements is £3500 to bring it up toward an E, so assuming a similar cap is applied to bring it to a D, I would need to increase their rent by £65 a just month to cover this cost. The energy savings for the tenant are tiny.
A mandatory electrical installation report is also about to be legally required (EICR), mortgage interest payments are now taxable, and there is no 10% wear and tear allowance. An additional 3% stamp duty is also payable on purchases.
I have no problem with providing a good standard of let, but renting is going to become even more expensive.
and the landlord now has to pay any letting agent fees previously borne by the tenant.

and the landlord now has to pay any letting agent fees previously borne by the tenant.

On the plus side, rental income is still exempt from National Insurance. I still find it odd that a landlord with a taxable income of £40,000 pays less in total tax than someone who works for their £40,000 of taxable income.

On the plus side, rental income is still exempt from National Insurance. I still find it odd that a landlord with a taxable income of £40,000 pays less in total tax than someone who works for their £40,000 of taxable income.
Agreed, although capital gains tax is now increased.

What happened to to original thread,?
it’s turned into a building regs & EPC debacle. Ronan house etc
I love it when a thread goes off at a tangent, then some one posts “off topic” but then goes off on another (third tangent) when someone tries to bring it back to the original thread everyone carries on with the two tangents and ignores the original threadWhat has EPC et at el got do do with a California specif thread?
It’s just not relevant to the original intentions of the question and intended thread, or indeed VW Cali :talktothehand

If you are that concerned about the emissions, why are you driving a two-and-a-half ton diesel van?

Asking for a friend.

What happened to to original thread,?
it’s turned into a building regs & EPC debacle. Ronan house etc
I love it when a thread goes off at a tangent, then some one posts “off topic” but then goes off on another (third tangent) when someone tries to bring it back to the original thread everyone carries on with the two tangents and ignores the original threadWhat has EPC et at el got do do with a California specif thread?
It’s just not relevant to the original intentions of the question and intended thread, or indeed VW Cali :talktothehand
It evolved. Are you the the thread police?

If the post above was aimed at my comment as to why a perfectly reasonable question is asked in a new thread and it get buried in total dross

I did not raise the question, although I thought it was an intelligent and lateral question.

I did not say I was interested in the emmisions, I was intrested in where this thread would go ! Massive difference

Presumably you would be happy to ask a perfectly reasonable question, only to have the thread destroyed talking off topic totally unrelated to this forums main topic !

Here’s the forum you want

Made my point ?

If the post above was aimed at my comment as to why a perfectly reasonable question is asked in a new thread and it get buried in total dross

I did not raise the question, although I thought it was an intelligent and lateral question.

I did not say I was interested in the emmisions, I was intrested in where this thread would go ! Massive difference

Presumably you would be happy to ask a perfectly reasonable question, only to have the thread destroyed talking off topic totally unrelated to this forums main topic !
So you are the thread police?

At Last.