Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW e-Transporter & e-California

I can't think fleet managers will be interested in that. In fact I can't really see many people at all wanting one. Even a small milk round could easily exceed the stated range.
You would never see the 82 miles. The Golf GTE we had did "up to 31 miles" but we were lucky to get 20!

£50k for the van! For a Cali? Dosn't matter, I won't be buying one with only "upto 80 miles" per charge.

Unless my decimal place has slipped my trip to Aberdeen from Sussex would need approx 8 overnight stops if I was to recharge via a domestic supply. Or 10 x 45min stops to do fast charges... if there’s no queue.

Taken from a VW dealer website:

Impressive Capacity.
The e-Transporter is not just notable in terms of its load capacity, it’s battery system is also remarkable. It’s designed to be scalable so that it can meet application requirements and a range of budgets.

There are two lithium-ion batteries inside the vehicle: the first has an energy capacity of 37.3 kWh, and the second has an energy capacity of 74.6 kWh. As a result, you can travel between 208 and 400 km, meaning you can cover an impressive distance before needing to recharge.

Impressive Capacity.
The e-Transporter is not just notable in terms of its load capacity, it’s battery system is also remarkable. It’s designed to be scalable so that it can meet application requirements and a range of budgets.

There are two lithium-ion batteries inside the vehicle: the first has an energy capacity of 37.3 kWh, and the second has an energy capacity of 74.6 kWh. As a result, you can travel between 208 and 400 km, meaning you can cover an impressive distance before needing to recharge.
Another dealer error maybe?? VW themselves quote the range with fully charged battery as up to 82 miles. Regretfully would think VW is correct.

Impressive Capacity.

the Tesla Model S has a battery capacity of 100 kWh, weighs 2.25 tonnes and can do 348–390 mi (560–628 km), so this sounds like it could be about right to me. (i.e. 75 kWh might get a 3 tonnes about 220 miles?)

the Tesla Model S has a battery capacity of 100 kWh, weighs 2.25 tonnes and can do 348–390 mi (560–628 km), so this sounds like it could be about right to me. (i.e. 75 kWh might get a 3 tonnes about 220 miles?)
People are using Tesla’s as taxis in Stockholm.

Impressive Capacity.

The ABT Website says it has a 37.3 kWh battery, range ~80 miles
It could 'eventually' be fitted with a 74.6kWh, 'if there is enough demand', which would increase the range to ~150 miles

Since ABT convert directly from the VW production line, and it all goes under floor, there is nothing to stop them fitting this to Caravelles and Californias

Unless my decimal place has slipped my trip to Aberdeen from Sussex would need approx 8 overnight stops if I was to recharge via a domestic supply. Or 10 x 45min stops to do fast charges... if there’s no queue.
Might be a good time to resurrect Coaching Inns.

No thread hi-Jack intended....just a comment in passing about Tesla. The range varies ‘a lot’ depending on driver, routes, weather and charge history of the vehicle. As well as alleged range being wildly optimistic I’ve seen a Tesla S Long Range get as much as 310 miles on a charge with one driver...and the same car, next charge with a different driver get as little as 250 miles. Air Con consumes energy also.
Anyway, that’s the end of the hi-Jack. You’re free to go, nothing to see here....

From what I understand with Tesla vehicles. They recommend only charging to 80% capacity for regular use. Charge to 100% only if going on the occasional long trips. This will prolong the battery life.

So the California doing regular long trips would probably need charging to 100% often to achieve the max mileage quoted.
If the battery technology is similar to Tesla's then this would not be beneficial to the long term life of the batteries.

Fuel cells are the answer, electric is transition technology.
Fuel cells use an electric drive train too, it’s just most of their storage is a big hydrogen tank as opposed to a battery but nearly all use batteries too as an intermediary buffer, basically having the charger on board, Hyundai are really nailing this stuff now but the issue is making hydrogen efficiently.

No thread hi-Jack intended....just a comment in passing about Tesla. The range varies ‘a lot’ depending on driver, routes, weather and charge history of the vehicle. As well as alleged range being wildly optimistic I’ve seen a Tesla S Long Range get as much as 310 miles on a charge with one driver...and the same car, next charge with a different driver get as little as 250 miles. Air Con consumes energy also.
Anyway, that’s the end of the hi-Jack. You’re free to go, nothing to see here....
Not to mention winter time with wipers, lights, heated windows and heater all eating power. Makes one wonder how an e-California would provide overnight heating.:(

Not to mention winter time with wipers, lights, heated windows and heater all eating power. Makes one wonder how an e-California would provide overnight heating.:(
It won’t in the early days will it, it’s R&D mainly... just trying to bring some cash in at the same time. Whether that Tech route lasts long enough to develop into a working solution....I have the same doubts as others earlier in the thread.
Humans are pretty good at inventing stuff when it’s needed, but at the moment there does seem to be a tech/fuel gap that needs filling (if anything similar to current logistics/leisure transport is to continue).

eCali will be possible in the not to distant future, the battery density is almost heading into Moore’s law territory, maybe not one for wild campers but given a lot of you like campsites it’s reality for on grid and local camping today with other coach builders.

The real question is will it run your new glamping features and fully equipped toilet / shower trailers /threaddrift

From what I understand with Tesla vehicles. They recommend only charging to 80% capacity for regular use. Charge to 100% only if going on the occasional long trips. This will prolong the battery life.

So the California doing regular long trips would probably need charging to 100% often to achieve the max mileage quoted.
If the battery technology is similar to Tesla's then this would not be beneficial to the long term life of the batteries.
Depends on the manufacturer; some hide the true capacity and 100% charge isn't 100% of capacity, Tesla are transparent with the battery size and provide advice on keeping it healthy

Maybe Boris will sweeten the deal?
Apparently this will boost 'UK Manufacturing'. (Lol) Also make a good headline for the upcoming UK hosted COP.
Tesla will be pleased.

Fuel cells are the answer, electric is transition technology.
How is the type of fuel can be an answer with the general electric engine technology a transition?
Hydrogen cells are available long ago with electric technology...and didn't go very well
Electric technology is the only and most viable next step for the vehicles. Current lithium-ion batteries are a transition, though we might see double the density even with that technology before supercapacitors or solid-state batteries see the world.
Though it might seem to an inpatient consumer that battery technology doesn't progress too fast, but believe me it is improving every day.
Even today there are already very promising results that need years to go into production.
IMHO hydrogen fuel cells don't have much future. They were on the market way before Tesla and didn't improve much.

eCali will be possible in the not to distant future, the battery density is almost heading into Moore’s law territory, maybe not one for wild campers but given a lot of you like campsites it’s reality for on grid and local camping today with other coach builders.

The real question is will it run your new glamping features and fully equipped toilet / shower trailers /threaddrift
Even if they introduce Cali with 600km range today, I won't go for it. The charging stations' availability is a joke in Europe today and there is no way to adequately camp and charge. Another thing many people aren't aware of that you can pay for charging way more than paying for normal electricity resulting in similar running costs with petrol.
Another major reason for me staying with diesel that heating is very essential in camping bus and electric ones will burn batteries like crazy. To get moderate heating 1kw will cost you 4-5km of range per hour. So heating moderately at 1 night for 10 hours will eat ~50km of range...Also consider travels in colder weather and heating white driving....
Worse than that in hot weather. Air conditioner will cost you 1-5kw hour so from 1-hour cooling you will lose another 4-25km range.

So you get free heating from those nasty inefficient diesel engines and very cheap electricity from the alternator.
For decent travels, diesel will stay with us for a pretty long time.

At least Portugal would avoid child labour, which seems common in the mines of the not so developed countries.

Just to talk about something else:
I do not comment on the content of the article or the photos, just for your information ;)
(copied and pasted from Autoblog)

Just like any form of progress we will probably have to change our views on distance travelled in a day, If the 2030 end of Diesel/Petrol end deadline includes camper vans then we won’t have any choice.
I would have thought that batteries by that time will probably have many times the capacity than they have now so won’t have to worry. Horse and carriage, Steam, Petrol/Diesel, Battery, Solar??

Back