Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW e-Transporter & e-California

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Its ok, we'll come with fancy energy ideas when over 10 billions, or maybe when 15. The more people the more bright minds. :D Can start eating each other as a solution after all.

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
I think in general the UK needs to invest and push greener tech when it comes to energy production, the current mix is way behind and with Conservative rule it’s only going to get worse with reliance on coal and Nuclear.
Nuclear is the greenest so far.
The Irony is that life has never expanded so freely in the Chernobyl zone as after the meltdown. As soon as we "plague" left due to radiation the rest is a tolerable blessing.

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Agreed and as others have said the scale for countries such as Norway make it much more viable.

I think in general the UK needs to invest and push greener tech when it comes to energy production, the current mix is way behind and with Conservative rule it’s only going to get worse with reliance on coal and Nuclear.

I’m impressed with my folks solar set up, they sell most of their electricity back and are looking at batteries next so they can stop using other tariffs when they need it at peak times.
I’ve looked into Solar to heat up a hot water tank.
The cost doesn’t justify the expense.
It would take almost 20-25 years before I broke even...

W

Wongo

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Fuel cell the way to go forwards, mind you the new
Bosch diesel system is cleaner than LPG.
Lithium as used in electric vehicles is finite and appallingly produced by child labour.

johnyboy

johnyboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
my solar PV panels have paid back in seven years, and now I have a powerwall too which will pay back in ten years

Digger

Digger

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Paid back with the contribution from my taxes perhaps? Up here insufficient sunlight to justify and useless during winter months. Would definately support wave and tidal investment though.

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Paid back with the contribution from my taxes perhaps? Up here insufficient sunlight to justify and useless during winter months. Would definately support wave and tidal investment though.
That’s true.
Since the end of government aid into the purchase of wind/solar the costs are to high.
I’ve done some rough sums etc.
It would take around 20 years to pay back the initial costs

johnyboy

johnyboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Yes and anyone who is on a Green tariff is benefiting from my exports, which are reducing the carbon impact of the UK Grid.. YW

F

Ferring-about

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Plus diesel is artificially high due to tax, but it’s absolutely no friend of the environment but neither are in reality unless the electric is truly from renewables
And, just a thought, where do the batteries chemicals come from and are they recycling those too. Do you own the batteries or does the vehicle manufacturer?

Christine Kirk

Christine Kirk

On most days when we drive west over the Yorkshire Wolds we can see 4 power stations and often when the sun is out and the air is still, the Vale of York has a brown smog of trapped polluted air.
The electric "E" vehicle is plugged into a supply which comes from power stations! So until we have zero emission generation all the electric car is doing is transferring pollution from one place to another. The renewable industry is getting going and the large wind farms off the east coast (Hornsea)help but using coal/ wood chip/ biomass fuel is still a sizeable part of electric generation.

DavidofHook

DavidofHook

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
On most days when we drive west over the Yorkshire Wolds we can see 4 power stations and often when the sun is out and the air is still, the Vale of York has a brown smog of trapped polluted air.
The electric "E" vehicle is plugged into a supply which comes from power stations! So until we have zero emission generation all the electric car is doing is transferring pollution from one place to another. The renewable industry is getting going and the large wind farms off the east coast (Hornsea)help but using coal/ wood chip/ biomass fuel is still a sizeable part of electric generation.
Biomass seems perfect for recycling CO2 but does it not put other pollutants into the air? Smoke etc!

DavidofHook

DavidofHook

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
That’s true.
Since the end of government aid into the purchase of wind/solar the costs are to high.
I’ve done some rough sums etc.
It would take around 20 years to pay back the initial costs
I see that Sweden is dismantling an off shore wind farm because the maintenance costs are just too high. Both the windmills themselves and also the cabling apparently

briwy

briwy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Biomass seems perfect for recycling CO2 but does it not put other pollutants into the air? Smoke etc!
Biomass is already used in conjunction wirh coal. Its blown into the boilers along with coal dust in some power stations.The problem is that the calorific value is a lot lower so vast quantities are required which just aren't currently available.

DavidofHook

DavidofHook

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Biomass is already used in conjunction wirh coal. Its blown into the boilers along with coal dust in some power stations.The problem is that the calorific value is a lot lower so vast quantities are required which just aren't currently available.
I recall plans to build a power station with enough space around it to provide a 10 year timber supply. At the end of the 10 year cycle the timber first cut will have grown and be ready for use again. From what you say maybe it was too hopeful a design?

briwy

briwy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I recall plans to build a power station with enough space around it to provide a 10 year timber supply. At the end of the 10 year cycle the timber first cut will have grown and be ready for use again. From what you say maybe it was too hopeful a design?
Absolutey. I was involved on some of these projects through work and came to the conclusion that for the uk its not viable. We actually began importing woodchip from Norway and Canada.

D

dave6779

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I was an electric convert, but everyone I know who's had one has said the current tech just doesn't match up to the promised range, it's so variable. Unless something changes dramatically with battery tech, I think fuel cell is going to be the way forward.

There was an interesting article circulating about a month ago of a methane fuel cell. Technically speaking methane can be made renewably (it's very expensive at the moment), plus its a lot more energy dense than hydrogen and a little more stable. I think we might see something like that in 5-10 years starting to emerge.

The sad thing is, everyone wants it to succeed we just don't want to be short-changed in the process.

briwy

briwy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We here in the uk are still sitting on millions of tons of coal so perhaps if the lights start to go out we will begin digging it out again.

Our Partners