Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW e-Transporter & e-California

Tomorrow at the Messe in Hannover:

"Morgen startet die IAA Nutzfahrzeuge in Hannover. Unter dem Motto „Transporting your Future“ sind wir unter anderem mit fünf Weltpremieren als Lösungen für moderne e-Mobilität dabei:
Der ID Buzz Cargo, der ABT e-Caddy und ABT e-Transporter, das Cargo e-Bike und der Crafter HyMotion mit Brennstoffzelle.
Kommt uns bis zum 27.09.18 am Stand in Halle 12 besuchen."

8n5ba6r-SoiGY5aQWgiT64XfAygCbEg6r-NhPxsC_988EWOoZnwW95b_WN82Z1wkkczuAVxReWnaXxbI0HJgPoOVRjJsKv7vpZMiDE3ra84_4yHhVJhJHCAAd-zZ3EMhHKzs5qKBeSTQnlt3EkJpdfEL6CbjjxN8QxA9FggPSG0jxrP-PNymioHDPWBXPbCvTG-T1ObnjX2UUUs82Y3SE1MS7UKKMINQXrs4cyqh7rOO6HM9zvYZTPrna3kiYbtK4GxG8E9l1KyJ4hF9Gwy1XWuQnB0rbquszhPURtU-5Ki2O5KSw-JkLIdq8uenCIbKkTg6oSV0XS7cv7Nj0EDGuuqGqA-f7Q6withUCQADVFoiaxBWqY6dvxxBc9L9dbwO7xKjHDdmqL1CsVrGDDsFavu6BofGtwYsOAFIVkKXtsgfQbeEtnB3V95ijmx-TmZkiov39-GC0EedmVByfeirliZQnohGiupAhBcBUHjBNUsyPreMNy00n6YVC-OAutLt9IOH6tJ3uglXVUCdKkgcbxpyQbqyoYzmP0w2r0qofJ5BxRWyHesZehqNW3Mam_WJZgSwvEMu-_r8gHIz8Wpnn261svwv1zVvSffDN3T1_hr-DAm7_81n0RNluH_Udso=w1616-h1080-no

I hate concept cars, i cannot remember any that i´ve seen make
it into production, they always look more advanced than what is
actually delivered.
I was excited for years thinking that the T1/2 was making a comeback,
it ain´t happening so i´ve given up.
The one above looks good and i´d have it tomorrow if it was around 50 g´s
even as a van.

I still think the idea of there being a fully battery electric California any time soon is at best, optimistic. Unless there are some major advances in this field then a fully electric Cali just won't cut the mustard!

Most California owners have dreams of going off grid and losing themselves in the back of beyond. That just wouldn't be possible and therefore I believe that most informed prospective buyers would give it a wide body swerve.

Another point related to the use of all battery electric vehicles (BEVs) which I don't believe has been covered in any depth, will be the need for the forests of charging points at service stations etc and the vast areas of ground that will need to be purchased and concreted over to provide these facilities. This might be viable in country areas at a high cost to our countryside but will prove very difficult in built up towns and cities. Also if greater numbers of drivers and their passengers are having to stop for longer then these service facilities (cafes, restuarants, toilets etc) will soon prove inadequate and they too will probably need expanding as well. All this would serve to reduce any benifits of BEVs on the environment.

I may be wrong but I believe BEVs have a future in towns but I still can't see much future for them elsewhere.

Hybrid vehicles are another matter entirely.

Hybrid vehicles are another matter entirely.
The problem with hybrid vehicles is that you have all the complexity of both the electric and petrol/diesel power trains and associated ancillaries. You are also dragging around a load of excess weight.

Our Golf hybrid is now out of warranty and already the repair costs of a fault with the charging flap has completely wiped out any savings on VED and fuel costs for this year. :headbang

The problem with hybrid vehicles is that you have all the complexity of both the electric and petrol/diesel power trains and associated ancillaries. You are also dragging around a load of excess weight.

Our Golf hybrid is now out of warranty and already the repair costs of a fault with the charging flap has completely wiped out any savings on VED and fuel costs for this year. :headbang
Good point.

I think the self charging fully electric vehicle is the way to to go. Electric motors in the wheel hubs, no traditional engine and transmission but a very compact and highly efficient and silent generator to self charge.
This removes the need for all the emergency charging infrastructure needed for electric only vehicles.
Then as a camper we would have a source of power when camping etc.

I think the self charging fully electric vehicle is the way to to go. Electric motors in the wheel hubs, no traditional engine and transmission but a very compact and highly efficient and silent generator to self charge.
This removes the need for all the emergency charging infrastructure needed for electric only vehicles.
Then as a camper we would have a source of power when camping etc.
Liz, whilst I have respect for your technical know how this sounds a bit like sky hooks to me. We use energy to drive and as we drive the energy we use is topped up by driving. I thought Einstein said that couldn’t happen? You can't make more energy than you are using surely? Maybe I am missing something and it sounds great but, hmm......

Liz, whilst I have respect for your technical know how this sounds a bit like sky hooks to me. We use energy to drive and as we drive the energy we use is topped up by driving. I thought Einstein said that couldn’t happen? You can't make more energy than you are using surely? Maybe I am missing something and it sounds great but, hmm......
Dianne, :) These already exist... BMW i3, Vauxhall Ampera (the top gear ithingy)
As time goes on the generator would be replaced with a hydrogen power pack then even a PNR (Personal nuclear reactor) :)

Dianne, :) These already exist... BMW i3, Vauxhall Ampera (the top gear ithingy)
As time goes on the generator would be replaced with a hydrogen power pack then even a PNR (Personal nuclear reactor) :)
Ah, sorry about the name thing, the iPad took over & I should have checked,
I misunderstood, these vehicle both have have a petrol engine to boost their batteries. I understand. So, no power out of the air!
Not sure carting around an internal combustion engine plus batteries is the way to go.
Surely hydrogen is the future? A gas tank replaces the petrol tank, a little thingumy to produce electricity to run the vehicle. Pollutant is just water.
Not sure that the H&as lobby would be too happy about a nuclear back pack... risk of cancer of the shoulder blades?
But,sLightly off piste, why can't we use the power packs from nuclear submarines to produce electricity for the local area? No more huge costly nuclear power stations, safe, very cheap to run?
Signed Dianne

Here’s my prediction.
2020 Bosch super efficient Diesel Fuel pump & Scandinavian Super clean diesel widely available
2025 E Battery Range finally Ok
2026 Lithium mining & battery disposal seen as massive issues (at last)
2027 phase out plan for electric vehicles introduced
2035 Fuel Cells & Superclean diesels only
2058 I celebrate 100th birthday emissions notwithstanding!

But,sLightly off piste, why can't we use the power packs from nuclear submarines to produce electricity for the local area? No more huge costly nuclear power stations, safe, very cheap to run?
Signed Dianne
:Grin:Grin
I totally agree, I am sure in the future there will be small local reactors like the submarines use..

[
:Grin:Grin
I totally agree, I am sure in the future there will be small local reactors like the submarines use..
If only the fuel was not lethal, particularly in the hands of terrorists together with the ongoing risk of coolant failure and subsequent melt down etc. bags not having one in my neighbourhood.

[

If only the fuel was not lethal, particularly in the hands of terrorists together with the ongoing risk of coolant failure and subsequent melt down etc. bags not having one in my neighbourhood.
I think we are currently doing a more lethal job with fossil fuels right now.

Loz
You been watching to much back to the future...;)

I note that VW has registered the names “e-Transporter” amongst others that probably relate to an Electric variant of the T6 or future T7. They have shown their e-Crafter at a recent motor show and this is due for release later this year.

It is only a matter of time before the California based vehicle is available in an electric format, but what sort of range would it need to have to make it a viable option as a campervan for you? I personally would be happy with 150 to 200 miles as I usually need a break after driving this far anyway.

There are many American companies converting old splitscreens and bay window vans to electric powered vehicles with amazing results. If a kit became available for the T5, I would ditch the diesel power for sure.

And the recharge time on a campsite hookup give plenty of time for a couple of G&T's ..

Back