Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Factory retrofitting

RodCouncil

A Brit in Sweden
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Imagine if the Hannover Factory did retrofitting packages, so say you had a 2004/5 Cali but wanted a T5.1 makeover to include drivetrain, DSG, LEDs. Surely this would be better for our environment than buying new and extend the life of our vans?

Just an idea, might allow for future proofing in light of hybrid and electric conversions too.

I'd put our T5 in for some smaller updates that were not available in 2012. Just struck me as strange that some keep their vans for a decade and others chop them in after or before warranties expire.

Possibilities are endless and help with those they might have specced X or y if they didn't buy it new.

Beach to Coast, to Ocean or even the other way.

Last edited:
Imagine if the Hannover Factory did retrofitting packages, so say you had a 2004/5 Cali but wanted a T5.1 makeover to include drivetrain, DSG, LEDs. Surely this would be better for our environment than buying new and extend the life of our vans?

Just an idea, might allow for future proofing in light of hybrid and electric conversions too.

I'd put our T5 in for some smaller updates that were not available in 2012. Just struck me as strange that some keep their vans for a decade and others chop them in after or before warranties expire.

Possibilities are endless and help with those they might have specced X or y if they didn't buy it new.

Beach to Coast, to Ocean or even the other way.
In ten years a full electric conversion done in the factory, now that would be epic.

Can't start to imagine what VW would charge!

yes you could put a MP package in a Cali or a Cali package in MB. Or an ikea kitchen in a van and call in a conversion.

Would be a nice business model for possibly
yes you could put a MP package in a Cali or a Cali package in MB. Or an ikea kitchen in a van and call in a conversion.
Given that the interior layout and fitting of the van has hardly changed that doesn't make much sense, but adding more up to date Cali units from a T6 might be nice

So - old van with new camping layout or a old van with a new camping layout.

When we sold our 2012 T5 Cali with 63k on the clock I would say the camping kit was fairly good./ like new The reason to change at the end 2016 was to get the new van part of the outfit and warranty for the next 5 years.

Back