Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW halts delivery of diesel T6's to dealers...

bvddobb

bvddobb

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
Oh boy...: another diesel gate?

According to this piece in Der Spiegel, VW is halting delivery of diesel T6's to dealers, because of too much NOx found in the exhaust gasses...

They found that the actual amount of NOx is higher than they had declared when certifying the model, and higher than allowed in Germany. They have reported that to the authorities, who wanted to revoke the certificate and stop delivery altogether.
Now VW is discussing with them a software update to remediate this, and have proposed to continue manufacture, but stop delivery to dealers until this is solved...

Last edited:
Doh! Any thoughts on whether this is to German dealers only or will affect international orders too?

Last edited:
Volkswagen is concerned about the approval of the VW bus T6 with diesel engine: The car manufacturer has reported to SPIEGEL information the Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA) in Flensburg that the popular model exceeds the values specified for the certification of nitric oxide.

The output is determined by the actual exhaust gases and an additional correction factor. Volkswagen had set this factor too low when registering the vehicle.

As the model had been on sale for over one year you have to ask why now release this information.

Volkswagen is concerned about the approval of the VW bus T6 with diesel engine: The car manufacturer has reported to SPIEGEL information the Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA) in Flensburg that the popular model exceeds the values specified for the certification of nitric oxide.

The output is determined by the actual exhaust gases and an additional correction factor. Volkswagen had set this factor too low when registering the vehicle.

As the model had been on sale for over one year you have to ask why now release this information.
Maybe Oliver Schmidt getting a 7 year jail sentence has focused a few minds.

The news seems to relate to the T6 Multivan (Caravelle in the UK).

Perhaps the California is unaffected?

In 2015 VW press release -

“Volkswagen confirms today that no software constituting an improper defeat device as defined in law is installed in vehicles with EA 288 EU5 as well as EU6-engines in the European Union. Consequently, new vehicles of the Volkswagen Group offered within the European Union with those engines comply with legal requirements and environmental standards,” the automaker said.

Engine fitted to many models including cars.

Engineers in the car industry do not work in a real world, they are allowed to live in a parallel administrative environment.

The VW engineers this time weren't fraudulous with software. They just used their administrative right to change some parameters in chemical formulas from behind their desk: in computing the NOX pollution of an engine, the international law gives some room to variate with the degree of air humidity and air temperature, that both influence the degree NOX output.

Apparently the VW engineers did overstretch the limitations of the formula a little bit. That's why the German government supervisor KBA was threatening to withdraw the certificate for all the T6 Diesels. Now a software update for all T6 vans should be the solution. We will see.... A T6 is a mobile chemical factory, with all the AGR, DPF, Adblue machinery.

BTW, there is no escape route to petrol T6's, as VW appears to stop the production of petrol T6 vans in 2018.

All the best from Amsterdam,

Marc.

This is wonderful new as I'm picking up my new T6 Beach on Monday! I'm torn between wanting it and telling them I'll just hang on until this thing is sorted out.

Hi everyone
We ordered our cali last september for delivery in March/april 2018
We were very surprised when we were told that it would be made in Oct and delivered to the UK in November.
It appears that we were not the only ones to be treated like this.
We insisted that we would not accept delivery until Jan 2018 at the earliest ie 2018 registration.
We have now heard about the stopping of deliveries for T6 engined vans because of NOX problems.
Are we alone in thinking that perhaps VW decided to produce and deliver as many as possible before admitting that they have a problem?
Has anyone spoken to their dealer yet about future deliveries?
We are concerned about the effect that a further scandal will have on VW diesels in general or California in particular.
Does anyone know of the legal implications should someone decide that they do not want to accept delivery
under these circumstances.

Chris and Rachel

Hi everyone
We were very surprised when we were told that it would be made in Oct and delivered to the UK in November.
We insisted that we would not accept delivery until Jan 2018 at the earliest ie 2018 registration.
We have now heard about the stopping of deliveries for T6 engined vans because of NOX problems.
Are we alone in thinking that perhaps VW decided to produce and deliver as many as possible before admitting that they have a problem?
We are concerned about the effect that a further scandal will have on VW diesels in general or California in particular.
Does anyone know of the legal implications should someone decide that they do not want to accept delivery

Chris and Rachel
Most dealers will have been very wary on lead times, because up to the middle of 2017 you could easily have been waiting over six months. It seems like VW simply managed to catch up with the backlog.

I think that the Cali factory runs at capacity all the time, I doubt if VW could have increased throughput. I don't believe that the change in lead times has anything to do with the current situation with engines.

I also doubt if this will make any dent in the popularity of the diesel Cali. The diesel engines have been discussed at great length across the forum and they are probably the most suitable power unit. Petrol has other issues and the EU6 diesel is on a par with petrol for emissions.

If you don't want to accept delivery, your dealer will probably be able to sell it on pretty quickly. I doubt if you'll have much of a legal leg to stand on, but most dealers will have a few cars or vans that don't complete the sale every year. You might end up arguing about your deposit I guess. Just my opinion.

Hi everyone

Chris and Rachel
As with @mccp above I doubt very much if the early manufacture is due to the newly-arisen NOX problem. Cali's are virtually made to order and I would guess that having delivery brought forward is more due to alignment of the production sequence, kinks caused by cancellations, supplier feed etc., than anything else.

With only three weeks to go I would not think there would be much of a problem in not taking delivery until 2018.

I think that in the summer - orders placed in Aug/Sept were typically expected to be completed in up to 6 months. As it has turned out, just as @mccp says, more recent orders have been completed in less than 4 months and in some cases closer to 2 months (see other threads relating to orders completed in 67 days).

Normal production throughput fluctuations I would imagine and the changes moving from MY17 to MY18 builds.

I wouldn’t be surprised that with the uncertainty of Brexit and the weaker pound. The fact the California has risen in price so much this year, causing a lot of expected buyers to think twice about purchasing.
Something Volkswagen hadn’t considered.

Hi everyone

Chris and Rachel

The thought did cross my mind when I read about it that they may have churned out Calis quickly before saying anything but in the ned I'm not convinced and I'm glad to have it early.

Also, waiting for 2018 registration crossed my mind but again, benefit for me out weighed the wait especially as it would be a 67 plate no matter what.

As for the 'effect' ??
This is one of the slowest depreciating vehicles out there right now and will remain that way all the while diesels are being made.

Clearly you have thought about all the right stuff but I'd say, go get it :eek:

Last edited:
This is wonderful new as I'm picking up my new T6 Beach on Monday! I'm torn between wanting it and telling them I'll just hang on until this thing is sorted out.
Go pick it up...where the benefit in leaving it with them other than a one off trip if there is a fix to be had.
Most of all enjoy it....

Most dealers will have been very wary on lead times, because up to the middle of 2017 you could easily have been waiting over six months. It seems like VW simply managed to catch up with the backlog.

I think that the Cali factory runs at capacity all the time, I doubt if VW could have increased throughput. I don't believe that the change in lead times has anything to do with the current situation with engines.

I also doubt if this will make any dent in the popularity of the diesel Cali. The diesel engines have been discussed at great length across the forum and they are probably the most suitable power unit. Petrol has other issues and the EU6 diesel is on a par with petrol for emissions.

If you don't want to accept delivery, your dealer will probably be able to sell it on pretty quickly. I doubt if you'll have much of a legal leg to stand on, but most dealers will have a few cars or vans that don't complete the sale every year. You might end up arguing about your deposit I guess. Just my opinion.

At visit to Hannover factory ( Easter 17 ) they said they had just increased output of the van factory by another shift . This seems to have made a big difference and speeded up production .

Hello everyone, interested and worried since I ordered a Cali Ocean with delivery in March I tell you what published on the German forum Caliboard.de:

California models are obviously not affected by the new T6 discharge scandal, see here:
https://www.verbraucherschutz.tv/2017/12/08/auslieferung-t6-diesel

T6 Diesel delivery - Volkswagen has notified the KBA

The WESTFALIA company answered the time of a press investigation that did not suffer from the delivery stop of the T6 course. correspond to the delivered here models do not have car models and as the T6 Nutzfahreuge the current scandal is not affected.

Happy Holidays

Back