Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW just gave me £ 750.00 towards my deposit

HI. Get my Ocean in March (Fingers Crossed!), what's the 2 service deal for £99 that you mentioned? Thanks & happy sleeping :)

Edit : Doh... just found it on the VW website. Great sounds a no brainer. Do you know if the service plan continues, even if you pay off the finance deal early?
Pretty sure it does. My dealer knows I'm going to pay it off and he offered it to me.

Had my second test drive today, as I was not too taken with the manual gearbox on my last test drive, and I thought the DSG with the 150ps was great! Smooth but enough torque when you needed it, especially when in 'Sport' mode. The test drive was actually in a red/white generation 6 Caravelle (only thing with the engine/gearbox combo I wanted to try) and, I have to say, it also looked great!

Wife is one step closer to letting me order one but the options list has gone up even more! As the van was parked nose down on a hill, the sliding door was incredibly heavy for her (and me) to open so I'll be adding an electric sliding door to avoid the kids never being able to get out! Plus, I can deactivate the door handles electronically so that only the button in the cockpit opens and closes the side door, which sounds great.

Incidentally, Guy asked me to mention on the forum that he has managed to acquire a yellow T6 Beach that is due shortly for stock, ie. available immediately. Just in case anyone is interested...

If you plan on using your Beach for camping I would re-consider the electric door. It will drive you bonkers...!!!
I was also told by a dealer a few years ago when I bought mine, and he had one in stock. That they were struggling to sell on, as everyone was put off by the electric door. He said they wouldn't order another demo with it.

Maybe something to think about.

Also make sure Worcester supply all the screen covers, they didn't with mine

If you plan on using your Beach for camping I would re-consider the electric door. It will drive you bonkers...!!!
I was also told by a dealer a few years ago when I bought mine, and he had one in stock. That they were struggling to sell on, as everyone was put off by the electric door. He said they wouldn't order another demo with it.

Maybe something to think about.

Also make sure Worcester supply all the screen covers, they didn't with mine
Thanks for the heads up. We have a caravan so the Cali will be predominantly a fab day van, with the capacity for sleep on shorter, spontaneous trips or trips to Oulton Park, so I'm not too worried about the sliding door when camping. I've specced it with the comfort mattress just in case and the parking heater will be useful day and night, I think.

The sliding door wasn't on my spec list until today when my wife struggled to open the side door because the van was parked on a hill, nose down. I'd hate for it to slam shut on my young kids when they're getting in or it because they've not opened it fully and we're on a hill. The electric door solves his problem.

Again, thanks for the info though - good to be aware. I'm buying from Preston, by the way.

Last edited:
Ref Finance...agree with all the writers....take the finance deposit contribution and then pay up immediately...THEN if you want finance, take out a marks and spencer personal loan ( approx 1/2 the cost of vw finance )
We received £1000 finance contribution from our dealer . Then paid the finance off. ALSO if you have another VW car in your household...wife..children etc they will give you £1000.00 loyalty bonus as well....we received this plus 8% discount !! on the van.
Also 2 free services...this could really be effective for 4 years (service every 2 years with fully synthetic oil and approx 10k miles per year.)
Plus breakdown cover (pan european ) for 3 years
Tank full of diesel and lifeshine paint and upholstery protection with 10 year guarantee
At one stage I thought we were getting the van for nothing
Theres a lot of fat in a California deal for the dealers...higher than normal van discounts plus movement bonuses for hitting targets.
Its a buyers market...particularly as VW seem desperate to regain brand confidence in the UK.
Thankfully we live in Yorkshire where dealers are more realistic than in more salubrious parts of the country.

a yup folks and pray for some better weather..we are off to Portugal in a few weeks towing our caravan...the Cali is one of the best tow vehicles we have ever owned

Was just sorting out the dealer bits in readiness for picking up new T6 Beach next Friday, when the man at Listers Worcs confirmed that as of next Monday VW will contribute £ 750 towards the deposit. At the moment the APR is 4.9% on a 42 month 'rental' which is good value. I have every intention of keeping the van and paying the 'balloon' final payment - seems a cost effective way of getting into a Cali.

Hi - I'm new to the forum and hoping to qet a new T6 Ocean ordered soon. Thank you for that heads up on the deposit contribution. I just looked it up on the website, and on there it looks as though as long as orders are placed by end March they will be eligible, so even better news - if the web's got it right of course!

Ref Finance...agree with all the writers....take the finance deposit contribution and then pay up immediately...THEN if you want finance, take out a marks and spencer personal loan ( approx 1/2 the cost of vw finance )
We received £1000 finance contribution from our dealer . Then paid the finance off. ALSO if you have another VW car in your household...wife..children etc they will give you £1000.00 loyalty bonus as well....we received this plus 8% discount !! on the van.
Also 2 free services...this could really be effective for 4 years (service every 2 years with fully synthetic oil and approx 10k miles per year.)
Tank full of diesel and lifeshine paint and upholstery protection with 10 year guarantee
Theres a lot of fat in a California deal for the dealers...higher than normal van discounts plus movement bonuses for hitting targets.
Its a buyers market...particularly as VW seem desperate to regain brand confidence in the UK.
Thankfully we live in Yorkshire where dealers are more realistic than in more salubrious parts of the country.

a yup folks and pray for some better weather..we are off to Portugal in a few weeks towing our caravan...the Cali is one of the best tow vehicles we have ever owned
Great to know! Mine will be towing a caravan too/

Hi thanks for the info - are you saying they gave you the loyalty bonus on your cali? Was this because you has another VW commercial vehicle? Other threads here seem to advised that VW won't give the loyalty bonus on commercial vehicles for those that only have VW car. Be good to here a little more on this - I've already ordered but have a VW Touran at present (no mention of any loyalty bonus for me at the moment). :(

Just had a quick look on the Volkswagen website.
Ordering a new Golf and they will contribute £1250. That's £500 more than the Cali. I would push them for that figure:thumb

Hi, I'm in the process of haggling with dealers in Scotland but I've only been offered 5% and no mention of any VW £750 contribution. Are you able to share which van centre your ordering your Beach from.
I think I'm getting a rough deal

Hi, I'm in the process of haggling with dealers in Scotland but I've only been offered 5% and no mention of any VW £750 contribution. Are you able to share which van centre your ordering your Beach from.
I think I'm getting a rough deal
Hi Richy i got mine from Listers Worcester - but apparently Guy from Preston is the man for the deals.

Geoff, have you seen the finance terms? As far as I can see the deposit contribution is for personal contract finance. Is that what yours was? We're there any penalties for settling early (I.e. On day 1)!

Then Guy is the man I'll try and get in touch with tomorrow..
And the finance deal is on the VW website:

https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/offers-finance/current-offers/california-beach

Guy will look after you. He and his dealer principle decided that it made better commercial sense to offer a strong discount and sell more than negotiate with everyone and sell less. As a result, you get a strong discount without haggling - you'll struggle to beat it. I ordered from him.

And no, there is no penalty for settling the finance early. I'm going to take full advantage of the 4.9% APR but I did confirm that it is an option to settle immediately. Several on the forum already have.

Hi Richy i got mine from Listers Worcester - but apparently Guy from Preston is the man for the deals.
Hi Tim, I can find the dealership at Worcester Droitwich, but I can't see any listing for Listers Preston !
Could anyone help me out with an address or post code ?
Thanks Richy

Hi Tim, I can find the dealership at Worcester Droitwich, but I can't see any listing for Listers Preston !
Could anyone help me out with an address or post code ?
Thanks Richy
Guy Vincent - VW Van Centre Lancashire 01772 655000 they are not part of the Listers Group

Just ordered a 16 reg VW Polo (2nd car), and got £1400 towards the deposit plus £500 loyalty plus some super guard treatment and a good trade in price, and intend to pay the balance of the finance off immediately.

That's not bad on a £12k car. Pity the same percentages contributions don't apply to the California.

I'm interested as to whether anybody has successfully obtained the deposit contribution and then settled the finance immediately. Were there any penalties, were you allowed to keep the £750?

My dealer is adamant that if I settled in full in less than 6 months then VW would claw back the £750 and that there would also be a 'penalty' charge of 53 days interest. I have asked for a finanace quotation and cannot see any indication of early payment penalties. But there is also no mention of the £750 contribution so perhaps there are some more terms associated with that.

I'm interested as to whether anybody has successfully obtained the deposit contribution and then settled the finance immediately. Were there any penalties, were you allowed to keep the £750?

My dealer is adamant that if I settled in full in less than 6 months then VW would claw back the £750 and that there would also be a 'penalty' charge of 53 days interest. I have asked for a finanace quotation and cannot see any indication of early payment penalties. But there is also no mention of the £750 contribution so perhaps there are some more terms associated with that.
Because the £750 is a deposit contribution they can't claw it back (under current rules). If you pay the full amount off with 14 days the early repayment penalty is the daily cost of APR (may vary between applicants but VW have an offer of 4.9% at the mo) x the number of days up to 14. If more than 14 days the penalty is the same but an additional charge of 58 days APR is added to the 14 days. They do not claim back the £750. I have this info direct form VW finance. I don't know why they do it this way unless this is another hook to attract customers. Also when I did this with a VW Car on the HP option a few years ago there was an arrangement fee of approx £200, this is now £10 (for the HP option).

The £750 deposit contribution is only available with the PCP option and not the HP option. If you have any concerns contact VW finance to discuss it first hand.

Because the £750 is a deposit contribution they can't claw it back (under current rules). If you pay the full amount off with 14 days the early repayment penalty is the daily cost of APR (may vary between applicants but VW have an offer of 4.9% at the mo) x the number of days up to 14. If more than 14 days the penalty is the same but an additional charge of 58 days APR is added to the 14 days. They do not claim back the £750. I have this info direct form VW finance. I don't know why they do it this way unless this is another hook to attract customers. Also when I did this with a VW Car on the HP option a few years ago there was an arrangement fee of approx £200, this is now £10 (for the HP option).

The £750 deposit contribution is only available with the PCP option and not the HP option. If you have any concerns contact VW finance to discuss it first hand.
Many thanks Johnny. Have you actually done this? I will contact VW finance and clarify with them.

Many thanks Johnny. Have you actually done this? I will contact VW finance and clarify with them.
I am in the process of applying for the £750 deposit contribution after being satisfied it is a real benefit if you pay the full amount within 14 days.
Taking one of the VW finance options (either HP or PCP) also allows the purchase of 4 services for £179+vat (approx from memory). This is equivalent to a value of around £800 and 8 years service coverage on the long service interval system. The PCP option also allows the purchase of 2 yrs extra warranty for approx £330+vat. The £750 covers the cost of the extra warranty and the service package or is a welcome cash saving. Obviously it could still be an attractive financial package if paid over the full term depending on how it compares with what is available on the market with current low interest rates so don't rule it out if payback within 14 days is not possible. Calculators at the ready.

The last time I did something similar I was verbally informed at the dealer that paying the finance off within 3 months would meaning losing the deposit contribution however this wasn't true (I found this out form VW finance after the 3 months had passed) the dealership were I believe on a bonus scheme that paid out if customers took finance out for a minimum of 3 months, the moral of the story is to get the facts from VW finance. They know some customers will pay off within the 14 days and they seem ok with this. I am not suggesting dealers are generally unscrupulous (I only know of one bad apple which was non-commercial anyway) but they are generally less up to date with the facts than VW finance.

Last edited:
I've done it. Bought on their finance and then paid off after 7 days. Our dealer asked us to wait for 7 days before doing it so that they received the £750 from VW so it wouldn't sting them.
It cost me 7days interest and nothing more.
There is no problems or issues with paying off like this. I rang up and asked to settle, they gave me a figure and an account to transfer to. I then got a letter a few days later confirming they had no interest in the vehicle as the finance was how paid off.
Re the services it is a good deal but the two service deal is one interim, one full. The four service deal is two interim, two full.

I am in the process of applying for the £750 deposit contribution after being satisfied it is a real benefit if you pay the full amount within 14 days.
Taking one of the VW finance options (either HP or PCP) also allows the purchase of 4 services for £179+vat (approx from memory). This is equivalent to a value of around £800 and 8 years service coverage on the long service interval system. The PCP option also allows the purchase of 2 yrs extra warranty for approx £330+vat. The £750 covers the cost of the extra warranty and the service package or is a welcome cash saving. Obviously it could still be an attractive financial package if paid over the full term depending on how it compares with what is available on the market with current low interest rates so don't rule it out if payback within 14 days is not possible. Calculators at the ready.

The last time I did something similar I was verbally informed at the dealer that paying the finance off within 3 months would meaning losing the deposit contribution however this wasn't true (I found this out form VW finance after the 3 months had passed) the dealership were I believe on a bonus scheme that paid out if customers took finance out for a minimum of 3 months, the moral of the story is to get the facts from VW finance. They know some customers will pay off within the 14 days and they seem ok with this. I am not suggesting dealers are generally unscrupulous (I only know of one bad apple which was non-commercial anyway) but they are generally less up to date with the facts than VW finance.

JohnnyP : Do you have any details on the extended warranty deal that you mention as I wasnt aware of this? I'm going down the PCP route for my Cali. Thanks for the info and help.

Johnny - thanks for such a comprehensive response. I've spoken directly to VW Finance and they have confirmed that there are NO cancellation penalties if settled within 14 days. My dealer was clearly being economical with the truth.......

Can you give me any additional info regarding the extended warranty? The dealer is insistent that there are no such deals associated with finance and that it is not
Ossicle to purchase an extended VW warranty until a few weeks before he original warranty expires. That doesn't sound right to me - why wouldn't they take my money. £330+VAT would be a no brainier so I'm keen to find out more about this.

Many thanks - I really appreciate your input.

Back