Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VWGC side step issue.

K

Kenchadofmann

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi, 1st time poster here so please be kind :)

My step on my GC 600 has stopped working completely. I've taken the whole step off to bench test and found no issues with the unit. Everything is working as it should. Does anyone know where the fuse and solenoid are, its driving me mad trying to get any useful information. Bought the vehicle new 3 weeks ago !

TIA Ken

My step on my GC 600 has stopped working completely. I've taken the whole step off to bench test and found no issues with the unit. Everything is working as it should. Does anyone know where the fuse and solenoid are, its driving me mad trying to get any useful information. Bought the vehicle new 3 weeks ago !

TIA Ken
Hi Ken,

Have you tried this reset?

Fixed a very similar problem for me.

And by the way the blue connector is under the glove box whether you have right- or left-hand drive.

(Click the link above - even though it looks like a general fuse layout thread, it'll take you to a post specifically about the step reset)

As above, need to reset the control module, big red switch off then remove the blue connector under the glove box. Wait a couple of mins, then plug back in. Hopefully that’ll do the trick.

Hi Ken,

Have you tried this reset?

Fixed a very similar problem for me.

And by the way the blue connector is under the glove box whether you have right- or left-hand drive.
Woooooo woooooo
Only gone and fixed it
Great advice. Thanks so much

(Click the link above - even though it looks like a general fuse layout thread, it'll take you to a post specifically about the step reset)
thanks for this my step stopped after just 1 week and followed these steps with the blue connecter and boom all working again thanks .. james

TIA Ken
Hi went to start the van today and the battery was flat. VW breakdown confirmed the cause was due to a fault on the step.
Once the battery was charged it still wouldn’t work but there was a bussing from the plug on the step.
Apparently there is a TPI out for replacing the step should it become faulty, this has a different part code than the original. There’s also a software update for the Special Electronic Control Unit.
I’ve removed the step part of the unit to stop it sliding out and the plug has been detached and tie wrapped.
Just got to get the dealer to order the step; bugger!

Hi went to start the van today and the battery was flat. VW breakdown confirmed the cause was due to a fault on the step.
Once the battery was charged it still wouldn’t work but there was a bussing from the plug on the step.
Apparently there is a TPI out for replacing the step should it become faulty, this has a different part code than the original. There’s also a software update for the Special Electronic Control Unit.
I’ve removed the step part of the unit to stop it sliding out and the plug has been detached and tie wrapped.
Just got to get the dealer to order the step; bugger!
Thank you for highlighting, useful information. Would be interesting to know what the SW update affects. Maybe will stop it freezing ..

Thanks again.
Will

Thank you for highlighting, useful information. Would be interesting to know what the SW update affects. Maybe will stop it freezing ..

Thanks again.
Will
My understanding is Breeze have carried out this step replacement and SW update recently on a GC and the initial reports back are it is much worse.

My understanding is Breeze have carried out this step replacement and SW update recently on a GC and the initial reports back are it is much worse.
Hi Chris, had mine replaced last September as the original was faulty from day 1. The replacement has worked faultlessly since then. Interested in the SW update is for though.

Might have to have a rethink

02E09B25-1FF5-4376-94EA-ED2F547AB842.png

Back