Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand California 600 solar panel retrofit

Hi @GrandCaliforniaFromFinland when it came to installing the cabling from the electrical cabinet to the new panels on the roof, how much of the interior did you have to remove? You say the wires ran straight up behind the panelling, did you have to remove the upper wall cupboard(s) to gain access? Same for the roof lining I guess?
Trying to understand how much needs to be removed/undone to get the wires place.
Thanks in advance.

@Mr T, we only had to remove the inner layer on the side of the van behind the wet room. The electrician had some difficulty passing the cables behind the electrical cabinet. We didn’t have to remove the ceiling inner layer. The electrician first fit a hose all the way from the electrical cabinet to the place where the panel wires would enter which made it very easy to install the cables.

@GordonH that’s a good point, I’ll definitely check it with Solbian.
@GordonH, I checked it with Solbian’s electrician and it seems to be okay. Adding what he explained me in case someone is interested:

“The two Victron MPPT hang directly on the battery main switch. These are secured with the integrated fuse on the bottom with 20A. I insulated the old wiring from the old MPPT to the fuse distributor.

With the right MPPT, only the existing cables for photovoltaics are used.

The MPPT always charge the battery regardless of the position of the battery main switch.

In addition, the Battery Sens is still installed on the battery, which constantly transmits data about the condition of the battery to the MPPT.

If the values do not match, the MPPT switches off.

If the problem is no longer there later, such as a temperature shutdown or voltage problems, the system automatically resumes normal operation.”

Ah, understood … looks like they have bypassed the original wiring and fuse.

Hey!

It actually required two holes for each using the drill head you see on the photo, then connecting them to cut out about 0,5cm rectangular hole. Drilling four holes on a van roof is stressful! The solar panel has two cables attached to it, but there is also some raised sealing around them and it is in rectangular shape. That’s why the cut is needed in the same shape, otherwise there would be a bump when I stick the panel on the roof which may cause the double sided tape to give up at some point.

View attachment 99980
View attachment 99981

The wires are connected to the controllers in the cabinet. I have now two controllers, Victron MPPT 75/15. I replace the existing one. In addition, I also added a Victron Battery Sense which both Solbian and the electrician recommended so that the controllers gets the battery data. The control panel in the van works as usual, but I can also get the data on my phone via Bluetooth now. See the image below (it’s dark here now, so they don’t produce anything ).

The cables are connected to the controllers. From there, they go straight up towards the ceiling behind the wall “cover”. From there, they’re routed towards the front of the wet room inside the ceiling. Then positive and negative separates: one goes to one panel and the other one to other panel. The panels are connected to each other in parallel.

View attachment 99985

View attachment 99983

View attachment 99984
Hello,

I would like to buy solar panels for my big california. Can you tell me the power of the 2 panels you have installed on the roof? At the moment I don't have any panels but I have a feeling that the ones on the roof could be more efficient than the one on the front.
Thank you for your answer.
Nico

Hello,

I would like to buy solar panels for my big california. Can you tell me the power of the 2 panels you have installed on the roof? At the moment I don't have any panels but I have a feeling that the ones on the roof could be more efficient than the one on the front.
Thank you for your answer.
Nico
If you look at the diagram in the first post each panel has an SP number, this is the panel size in watts. So the standard front is 104W.

Thanks I know for front one, but I would like to know for SP62 and SP72!

Thanks I know for front one, but I would like to know for SP62 and SP72!
I think you have answered your own question. See @Mr T s answer above.

SP62 = 62 watts
SP72 = 72 watts

Last edited:
This week I'm deciding what to buy as a panel.

I do have my GC pre-wired so that will make the installation easier.

Do you think I can put a panel on the roof and a panel in front on the same MPPT?
It won't malfunction?

Thanks again for your help

This week I'm deciding what to buy as a panel.

I do have my GC pre-wired so that will make the installation easier.

Do you think I can put a panel on the roof and a panel in front on the same MPPT?
It won't malfunction?

Thanks again for your help
You will most likely need separate MPPT’s as the panels will be different outputs.

hola
buenas tardes
Muy interesante tu instalación me encantan esos paneles de aprovechamiento
A mi no me llega ( €€€€ ) para comprar panel solbian.
Tengo una pregunta o una duda, si es posible que me ayudes
Las conexiones de los paneles las tienes en la zona eléctrica debajo de la cama ??
y allí tienes alojados el smart solar mppt.

el cableado que trae la GC600 de origen para el panel frontal es adecuada para un panel de 130W o se debería cambiar ese cableado por otro ??

un saludo gracias

Hello @Nico Peschier,

Apologies, I was traveling and didn’t check here for a while.

The front panel is 104W, and the other two panels on the roof are 72W and 62W, making 238W in total.

The roof panels are pretty effective during the summer months, but the front panel feeds the system more when the sun is not as high.

Hello @Nico Peschier,

Apologies, I was traveling and didn’t check here for a while.

The front panel is 104W, and the other two panels on the roof are 72W and 62W, making 238W in total.

The roof panels are pretty effective during the summer months, but the front panel feeds the system more when the sun is not as high.
Continuing, I purchased the panels from Solbian, the producer of the front panel some GCs come with. I contacted them via email and they were very helpful all the way from start to end. An electrician installed the wiring since I wasn’t confident doing it myself, however, I fitted the panels on the roof and connected them to the system. It was a straightforward process.

hola
buenas tardes
Muy interesante tu instalación me encantan esos paneles de aprovechamiento
A mi no me llega ( €€€€ ) para comprar panel solbian.
Tengo una pregunta o una duda, si es posible que me ayudes
Las conexiones de los paneles las tienes en la zona eléctrica debajo de la cama ??
y allí tienes alojados el smart solar mppt.

el cableado que trae la GC600 de origen para el panel frontal es adecuada para un panel de 130W o se debería cambiar ese cableado por otro ??

un saludo gracias
Hey @Hugokijmy1983,

The wiring from the roof solar panels goes inside the ceiling and down to the cabinet behind the wet room. Installing it was rather tricky since we didn’t completely remove the inner ceiling and wall panels, but possible for anyone to do. Those panels are attached via velcro.

I can’t really comment if the original wiring would be enough for 130W. I recommend you check it with an electrician.

So, you have 2 mppts, one for the front panel and the other for the roof panels, and my question is, each mppt is connected directly to the battery? Or are connected between them and after run to the battery?, So at the end only one + and one - are attached to the battery from the solar installation?

So, you have 2 mppts, one for the front panel and the other for the roof panels, and my question is, each mppt is connected directly to the battery? Or are connected between them and after run to the battery?, So at the end only one + and one - are attached to the battery from the solar installation?

Both MPPTs hang directly on the battery main switch. These are secured with the integrated fuse of 20A. The MPPTs always charge the battery regardless of the position of the battery's main switch.

Hi there,
In the original post it reads: Enclosed you will find a picture showing the cable assignment on the original charge controller
Can somebody please post this picture?

Thanks in advance

Hi there,
In the original post it reads: Enclosed you will find a picture showing the cable assignment on the original charge controller
Can somebody please post this picture?

Thanks in advance
If you joined as a VIP member you would have access to the resources centre where the full set of photos & instructions from the manufacturers is stored.

I am confused with the references to two ppt in the above posts. The manufacturers suggest connecting all the panels to one.

Here's the photo you were looking for.
IMG_1113.jpegIMG_1115.jpeg

Has anyone installed just the SP104 themselves? I see the instructions, etc in this post....but curious how the experience was- trying to gage if my husband and I can realistically manage it. He is very handy. Also- I know that everyone says that the wiring already exists- is there a way to confirm/check?

We just returned from a 4 week trip and are looking for a solution to top off the leisure battery each day....we like to stand free and are thinking solar is the best way to go- but welcome other thoughts as we look for the best solution for us.

Thanks in advance!

Also watching with interest. I have the Knaus 600XL and the dealer fitted me a 120w fixed solar panel to a 90aH LiFePO4 battery but lacking a little on solar power and considering overlaying the SP104 over the graphics. Keen to know where the cable comes into the roof space though?

Hey! I purchased some Solbian panels this summer and installed them in our GrandCali —see the photos. A Solbian electrician did the cabling when we were passing by Graz, Austria, in the summer, and I installed the panels and connected them. So far, so good; my panels have also been performing amazingly; they’re super efficient.
My next upgrade is to replace the AGM battery with a lithium one. One with a heating feature so that I can still charge it in subzero temperatures.

Any recommendations on well-performing lithium battery brands?
@GrandCaliforniaFI super curious if Solbian would have done the full install? Not sure if you know...but wanted to check before I email them. We are looking to add just the original SP104 panel. And we will be traveling through Graz in October.

Thank you!

We have reached out to Solbian and are working on getting the original panel to self install. We are trying to pick up in Austria on our way home from an upcoming trip next month. Just wanted to update the thread to say that the prices quoted here on original post from April 2022 are still accurate as I write this. I guess inflation hasn't hit solar panels (yet)!!

Back