Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Waiting with a loaner

Biglad

Biglad

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi, I thought I should introduce myself even though I've already dipped in to the forums and posted a couple of things already. My wife and I excitedly bought a T6 demonstrator at the end of January to be collected on the 1st of March. We had a VW Transporter conversion to sell and hoped we would get it sold in the following 4 weeks. I asked for a detachable tow bar to be fitted to the van, a bit of a chore apparently as it wasn't factory prepped. All went marvellously, we sold our camper within a week then just had to wait to pick ours up. Booked loads of trips ready for the new van. Unfortunately the day before pickup we got a phone call from our salesman (a very nice guy actually) to say that on trying to fit the wiring for the towbar which had to connect to the dashboard, the wiring got trapped on refitting the passenger seat and shorted, melting through the insulation right through the loom and into the dash. Disaster! To cut a long story short the dealership offered to lend us their ex demo 180 DSG 4Motion until our replacement one is built, which we are still happily running around in. Not a bad deal for a problem that they didn't intend. We immediately upped the spec on our new one to 204 DSG 4Motion in Oryx white with alacantara interior. Oh, and a tow bar. As much as we love our loaner, we are still very excitedly awaiting our own Van and have been told it should be week 24 but having read the stories on here we'll believe that when we see it.

Good shout ref the tow bar prep - its the only thing i think i got wrong with my new Beach order - i didnt like the sound of a full fit from rear to dash, and your experience seems to answer my fears

Yes, it would make sense (in my opinion anyway) for all Cali's to leave the factory prepped for a tow bar, it's a good way to fit a bike rack even if you never intend to tow a trailer. The cost of a retro fit is astronomical and as in our case can obviously go wrong.

How nice,

Things do go wrong but how nice that the dealer stepped up to the plate and resolved to their best ability the problem.

Yes, couldn't agree more. The dealer has been marvellous, saved our bacon regarding our pre booked trips.

Yes, couldn't agree more. The dealer has been marvellous, saved our bacon regarding our pre booked trips.

If you think it appropriate you may want to mention them by name in the dealer review section so other members thrashing around in what sometimes is a sea of woeful mundanity might benefit from a heads up :D

You're right again! The dealership is Lookers (formerly Benfields) in Newcastle. We are being admirably looked after by Tony our salesman, who I'm sure has his fingers crossed as tightly as ours that the new van arrives as soon as possible.

I bought my first new car from Lookers.... Lookers of Manchester, it was a purple ( arconite) mini,..... an "M" Reg, around 1974 I believe, to celebrate my graduation from the Open University.... my employers at the time promised me a bonus if I graduated and that was the deposit...

Anyway, I digress, nostalgia should be my second name...

Enjoy your loan vehicle, a brilliant time of year to have one and an opportunity to get to know the cali inside out with someone else's hardware :D

Welcome and good to hear a positive story. Definitely shows the importance of striking up relationships and the value when things go wrong, which they do quite often. Sounds like we are waiting for much the same vehicle but in different colours. I tried to go down the white route but her indoors preferred the Indium Grey. So indium grey with all the toys it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Funnily enough, the Indium grey was our second first choice if you know what I mean. Will be watching out for you getting it.

Hi, I thought I should introduce myself even though I've already dipped in to the forums and posted a couple of things already. My wife and I excitedly bought a T6 demonstrator at the end of January to be collected on the 1st of March. We had a VW Transporter conversion to sell and hoped we would get it sold in the following 4 weeks. I asked for a detachable tow bar to be fitted to the van, a bit of a chore apparently as it wasn't factory prepped. All went marvellously, we sold our camper within a week then just had to wait to pick ours up. Booked loads of trips ready for the new van. Unfortunately the day before pickup we got a phone call from our salesman (a very nice guy actually) to say that on trying to fit the wiring for the towbar which had to connect to the dashboard, the wiring got trapped on refitting the passenger seat and shorted, melting through the insulation right through the loom and into the dash. Disaster! To cut a long story short the dealership offered to lend us their ex demo 180 DSG 4Motion until our replacement one is built, which we are still happily running around in. Not a bad deal for a problem that they didn't intend. We immediately upped the spec on our new one to 204 DSG 4Motion in Oryx white with alacantara interior. Oh, and a tow bar. As much as we love our loaner, we are still very excitedly awaiting our own Van and have been told it should be week 24 but having read the stories on here we'll believe that when we see it.
Snap! Great spec and no regrets from me on the leather and the Mother of Pearl paint job that attracts lots of good comments - we covered our seats with a greta quality rug from TK Max and it looks really smart, really comfortable while protecting the seat fabric - did you order Life-Shine? Well worth the expense!

No we didn't order Life shine, actually I don't think it was mentioned but fortunately I quite enjoy washing and polishing! We'll probably put something over the seats when they're new too although friends of ours have the same upholstery and they seem to be quite resilient against spillages and stains. I suppose nothing stands up to bolognese sauce and red wine though...

No we didn't order Life shine, actually I don't think it was mentioned but fortunately I quite enjoy washing and polishing! We'll probably put something over the seats when they're new too although friends of ours have the same upholstery and they seem to be quite resilient against spillages and stains. I suppose nothing stands up to bolognese sauce and red wine though...
Going to put this on my seats from new.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004JNRRPA/?tag=eliteelect-21

Then the red wine

Haha, I'm nothing if not impulsive. Followed your link and ordered a can. Good idea. Thanks

In that case this is website for the company. Try not to get tempted by other products. I am no expert but this company seem to know what they're doing and are used by many of the top detailers. You will see how to videos on the home page and although the video for the fabric protector demo is on a soft top it gives you the idea.

http://gtechniq.com

Mike

sorry to hear of your troubles, but that's a good customer service story.

my brother once had a wiring loom (on a motorbike) fuse more or less solid into a single core when we were touring the coast of Ireland - quite a hairy day out that was ... we had to leave his bike behind being fixed & if he hadn't of cosmic coincidentally had an empty works wagon passing that way a month later it'd probably still be there!

enjoy getting this spring time mud into your loaner & keep smiling.