Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Warm roof

We have the internal ISOTOP so just pop the roof on the next dry day when we get home to stop any mildew on the VW roof canvas. ISOTOP Material is same as Goretex so it only allows moisture 1 way, but wouldn't really say it offers much insulation, we rely on good quality bedding for this.

To me the external covers are only worth it in very cold climates to keep you warmer + keep snow off the roof mech. I don't see them as being much use in the rain UNLESS you are able to install them when the roof canvas is dry. If fitted over wet canvas you are trapping the moisture in the van as the external cover is 100% waterproof so the water on the canvas will not be able to escape. Plus you will have to stand outside in the p8ssing rain getting your clothes wet which will then need to be dried in the van causing more condensation.

anyway I'm sure the debate will continue....

In winter conditions ( Alps) I use a thermal Wrap around cover, I find it offers great insulation in addition it prevents snow build up on the lip of the roof. Quick sweep in the morning and good to go.
If Uk winter I tend to use combination of cali topper and the wrap around. Agreed it’s a fuss but keeps everything dry.

The issue personaly I’ve find with the roof canvas getting wet id drying it out in the damp winters we have. Im lucky to have had the van from new, nine years on I’m still on the same canvass with no mould or smell of old tent. Like everything it’s a personal choice and overtime we all seem to drift from one thing to another .

We have the internal ISOTOP so just pop the roof on the next dry day when we get home to stop any mildew on the VW roof canvas. ISOTOP Material is same as Goretex so it only allows moisture 1 way, but wouldn't really say it offers much insulation, we rely on good quality bedding for this.

To me the external covers are only worth it in very cold climates to keep you warmer + keep snow off the roof mech. I don't see them as being much use in the rain UNLESS you are able to install them when the roof canvas is dry. If fitted over wet canvas you are trapping the moisture in the van as the external cover is 100% waterproof so the water on the canvas will not be able to escape. Plus you will have to stand outside in the p8ssing rain getting your clothes wet which will then need to be dried in the van causing more condensation.

anyway I'm sure the debate will continue....
Topper is usually fitted once you park up and while putting the roof up, it's best fitted when the roof is just off the van, once in place you put the roof fully up and ensure the bottom ties are in place, I've been using mine since 2014 and never fitted it to a wet bellows yet.

There is reasonable ventilation under the topper round the bottom edge.

Always useful to let the weather forecast help you decide when to use it, if it's over 90 percent chance of very heavy rain and wind for an extended period it's a no brainer to fit it. If it's only a day of heavy rain with sunshine to follow I wouldn't bother, the bellows do a pretty good job on their own.

As I've said already, there's pros and cons.

If it's only very cold the topper makes a big difference on temperature and potential condensation issues on the inner bellows.

20200310_155213.jpg

Topper is usually fitted once you park up and while putting the roof up, it's best fitted when the roof is just off the van, once in place you put the roof fully up and ensure the bottom ties are in place, I've been using mine since 2014 and never fitted it to a wet bellows yet.

There is reasonable ventilation under the topper round the bottom edge.

Always useful to let the weather forecast help you decide when to use it, if it's over 90 percent chance of very heavy rain and wind for an extended period it's a no brainer to fit it. If it's only a day of heavy rain with sunshine to follow I wouldn't bother, the bellows do a pretty good job on their own.

As I've said already, there's pros and cons.

If it's only very cold the topper makes a big difference on temperature and potential condensation issues on the inner bellows.

View attachment 87473

It took me ages to work out that the best way to fit our roofless topper was with the roof only partially open. But when you have the right technique it is a simple and quick single person process. And surprisingly satisfying.

Hi all
Can anyone recommend the BEST product to insulate the pop up roof in winter (Cali T6). The Brandrup internal insulation looks a faff to fit, really want something quite easy to install and remove from the pop up roof. A few on the market not sure which is best and why?
Thanks for assistance.
Dave
The YouTube channel A Bus and Beyond did a review of different pop top covers. They were in favour of the insulated wrap around cover. If didn’t look too much of a faff and gave excellent wind protection.

The YouTube channel A Bus and Beyond did a review of different pop top covers. They were in favour of the insulated wrap around cover. If didn’t look too much of a faff and gave excellent wind protection.
Problem is - it's massive when rolled up - whereas the Topper fits neatly folded away into one of the many storage areas.

Mines under the back seat in the big drawer, along with seat covers, levelling ramps and a consignment of other kit (like the AA European Bag with lights and Yellow Jackets etc).

I got my topper from Shaun (Bus and Beyond) when I bought his van, and he told me he didn't like it as it flapped and the toggles made noise in wind.

I think it was user error (sorry Shaun :) ), because it doesn't flap the way I secure it, even in a Gale Force 5 (first night of our last holiday in Scotland) and I also make sure the toggles are against the material.

I find it really good. It's quick to put up and take down once you get the technique.

Yes we drape it over the banister
We store our wet external cover in a waterproof dry bag so it can be stored on the rear shelf without wetting the bedding until it can be dried.

Problem is - it's massive when rolled up - whereas the Topper fits neatly folded away into one of the many storage areas.

Mines under the back seat in the big drawer, along with seat covers, levelling ramps and a consignment of other kit (like the AA European Bag with lights and Yellow Jackets etc).

I got my topper from Shaun (Bus and Beyond) when I bought his van, and he told me he didn't like it as it flapped and the toggles made noise in wind.

I think it was user error (sorry Shaun :) ), because it doesn't flap the way I secure it, even in a Gale Force 5 (first night of our last holiday in Scotland) and I also make sure the toggles are against the material.

I find it really good. It's quick to put up and take down once you get the technique.
How do you secure it ? just wondering having watched the bus and beyond review, what you do differently

I’m so glad this discussion is happening now! We are expecting delivery of an Ocean in January, and been debating how to keep the pop top dry, and ourselves snug, when using the van on our inevitably wet first trips. It’s great to get peoples experience in using covers Before we buy. I certainly see the sense of an overwrap cover, to keep everything dry. @sbmcd would you mind saying who the supplier of your topper is - it looks perfect for us?

It took me ages to work out that the best way to fit our roofless topper was with the roof only partially open. But when you have the right technique it is a simple and quick single person process. And surprisingly satisfying.
Hi Amarillo we have the same one as you, as we have rogers sola panels, I find the way we put it on is by not doing up the elastic top ties , have the roof say 30cm or so up, then starting at the front and working each side in turn to the back, fully put up the roof, then climbing on the bike rack to do up the elastic ties that go over the top, while the roof is fully up. I don’t think this is ideal, but haven’t found a way to put it on without the elastic top ties (if tied) getting caught on the solar panels, if doing this solo. Can I ask how you do it ? Be great to know if there is more efficient way of doing it

Using the bus and beyond review as reference, Having had the drop over wrap (Cali top) then getting the side panels (rainbow style/Cali wrap), I have gone back to the roofless or drop over type, it take up a lot less room when packed down and is easier to dry. Plus I found that side panels (rainbow style) can create a lot of condensation on the side panels as they are in contact with the roof canvas with no air movement, however the drop over type has a sizeable gap between the canvas and cover allowing air movement that stops condensation, thus a dry bellows in the morning.

Plus when putting on the drop over type the roof is only slightly raised as it’s fitted, so if it’s raining when setting up the canvas does not get wet, with the wrap around type the roof has to get fully raised before fitting, so would get wet, with less chance to dry as the cover is in contact with the bellows again with no air movement to aid drying

Last edited:
What’s everybody’s thoughts on having no topper. I’m been quizzing over which one for a while, then we camped in 2-4deg without one last week with 2 kids no problem. No condensation with heater either so I don’t think I’m going to bother. Bit of tape over the vent in sideways rain or wind

What’s everybody’s thoughts on having no topper. I’m been quizzing over which one for a while, then we camped in 2-4deg without one last week with 2 kids no problem. No condensation with heater either so I don’t think I’m going to bother. Bit of tape over the vent in sideways rain or wind
We have had a T4 Cali for 9 years and our present T5 is coming up to 10 years old.
We have never had roof covers in all that time.We did initially consider the isotop but, never having had any roof problems, we never got one. So all our camping has been done without any additional roof covering. And it has been lovely! Never a problem.
We tend to camp in the summer and head to the sun but we have been in some big storms. For me they just seem to be more kit to carry and more kit to fix on site so to be avoided!

Also the choice comes down to, can the canvas be dried at home when back, if the van is parked on the street a topper is a must as the canvas can’t be dried on return

Last edited:
We have had a T4 Cali for 9 years and our present T5 is coming up to 10 years old.
We have never had roof covers in all that time.We did initially consider the isotop but, never having had any roof problems, we never got one. So all our camping has been done without any additional roof covering. And it has been lovely! Never a problem.
We tend to camp in the summer and head to the sun but we have been in some big storms. For me they just seem to be more kit to carry and more kit to fix on site so to be avoided!
Like the sound of this. Perhaps the issue has been a bit ‘emperors new clothes’ for me, thinking I will need the insulation in both cold winter and hot summer, because so many others have. I’ve slept recently in the pop top- 1degree outside, heater on 6 all night, decent sleeping bag and I was toasty. I expect I’d be glad to have it camping in Southern Europe in the summer but perhaps should try before o spend £500.
I also like the storage net that came with the under seat drawer as part of the storage pack. I suspect that wouldn’t also fit in the closed roof with an isotop?
I can never seem to bag a 6.1 isotop in the club shop - they don’t hang around! - perhaps that’s a bit of luck and I’m hankering after something I don’t need.

Like the sound of this. Perhaps the issue has been a bit ‘emperors new clothes’ for me, thinking I will need the insulation in both cold winter and hot summer, because so many others have. I’ve slept recently in the pop top- 1degree outside, heater on 6 all night, decent sleeping bag and I was toasty. I expect I’d be glad to have it camping in Southern Europe in the summer but perhaps should try before o spend £500.
I also like the storage net that came with the under seat drawer as part of the storage pack. I suspect that wouldn’t also fit in the closed roof with an isotop?
I can never seem to bag a 6.1 isotop in the club shop - they don’t hang around! - perhaps that’s a bit of luck and I’m hankering after something I don’t need.
Buy if you need it. I’m betting you won’t be getting one.

I’m so glad this discussion is happening now! We are expecting delivery of an Ocean in January, and been debating how to keep the pop top dry, and ourselves snug, when using the van on our inevitably wet first trips. It’s great to get peoples experience in using covers Before we buy. I certainly see the sense of an overwrap cover, to keep everything dry. @sbmcd would you mind saying who the supplier of your topper is - it looks perfect for us?
I got my one from Comfortz, went for the roofless one so I could have roof bars and a ski box. Because its less fabric I think its easier to fit and packs smaller.

I also went for the one with windows, nice to see the snow outside when still in bed lol

@Hawthorn37
We stay snug with Pucer poptop and windscreen covers. Easy to fit and they stash away in waterproof bags stored on the back shelf.

2F601E52-737A-4E03-8711-E86667689720.jpeg

I got my one from Comfortz, went for the roofless one so I could have roof bars and a ski box. Because its less fabric I think its easier to fit and packs smaller.

I also went for the one with windows, nice to see the snow outside when still in bed lol
They don’t seem to do these anymore in the shop, shame they are great

Pucer certainly makes it much warmer upstairs. Ours isn’t a great fit at the front though. It’s pretty easy to put on and store.
Hi @Azteccamper
Ours fits fine at the front. Have you mentioned your issue to Daren at Pucer?

39A100EC-96F5-45B3-808A-2A17C4536CDA.jpeg

Hi @Azteccamper
Ours fits fine at the front. Have you mentioned your issue to Daren at Pucer?

View attachment 87595
I really wanted to go for the pucer, but Darren didn't seem to recognise the size differences between the manual and electric roof and I lost confidence when we couldn't resolve that over email. He suggested that I measure it myself and I wasn't confident that wouldn't lead to further disappointment :D

Back