Pop top cover

HappyGus

HappyGus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi,

I currently have this pop top cover :

I use it when it rain or when it's cold because it kind of trap the air in the middle and act as an insulation. When there is a lot of wind is also break them.

I also like it when it rain because the internal pop top tent fabric stay kind of dry and even if we have something touching the tent when it rains, it doesn't get wet.

But I must admit that having to set it up and remove it when it rains is not an pleasant experience.

I'm wondering, what are your best options, not only to insulate from the cold but also from the rain? Is there something you can setup and forget?

Expensive but good - works a treat !

How does this react when it rain? Does it get wet? When you close the roof and the external cover is wet, I guess this become wet too? Does the fabric of the base pop top is in contact with this? My biggest concern with those internal cover is the rain and snow (no protection of the lever mechanism).

When you are hot enough, can you open all three windows?

It's fine no wet gets in , makes it dark and is a lot warmer. Don't know about the external facing side of it but the inside face remains dry or at least it has in typical UK weather, In really extreme weather it may make sense to use both - an external top as well.

The ISo-Top is fit and forget and just makes the whole roof space a much more enjoyable experience.

It's fine no wet gets in , makes it dark and is a lot warmer. Don't know about the external facing side of it but the inside face remains dry or at least it has in typical UK weather, In really extreme weather it may make sense to use both - an external top as well.

The ISo-Top is fit and forget and just makes the whole roof space a much more enjoyable experience.
Yes you can open all the windows to enjoy the views or when it is too warm

Yep - isotop is the answer... We've tried a rainbow screen and a cali topper before - both a pain, especially when it is raining.

Isotop is inside so very convenient and lovely and warm/insulating too.

Okay, last question before you convince me: When it rained the whole night, and then you had to leave. When you open it in your new night spot: are the internal faces of the isotop wet? Concerned about the mattress getting wet or the bedding once we put it up there?

I'm mostly interested by it due to to the wind and rain than for the insulation I must admit.

We have a “rainbow”pop top cover. It’s never let rain in yet and keeps it dark. causes some condensation though.

It does dry quite quickly before folding away.

Best way we have found to fit ours is open the front zip window fully and get someone to stand and hold it whilst the other feeds the sides between the roof arms and the cover.

Okay, last question before you convince me: When it rained the whole night, and then you had to leave. When you open it in your new night spot: are the internal faces of the isotop wet? Concerned about the mattress getting wet or the bedding once we put it up there?

I'm mostly interested by it due to to the wind and rain than for the insulation I must admit.
Never had that problem - anybody else ?

The isotop is made from a goretex material so internally it’s not wet and it doesn’t let wet in if you put the top down With a wet outer canvas.

External covers are okay if the van is staying in one place for a while and are able to keep the top up. They’re a pain if you’ll be putting the top up and down -for driving out or security when you go away from the van.

If you put a Calitopper type on and the roofs already wet you have a wet inside and outside when you remove it. It also sticks to the roof when you try and pull it off (or put it on).

The only thing to be aware of re. internal insulation solutions, is that they don’t combine well with aftermarket thicker mattresses like we have. Then the roof will no longer close. Reason for us to stick with the external topper.

Another reason is that while camping in wintery snow conditions, the outside topper makes sure your roof scissors don’t get covered in drift snow and freeze.

Each solution its own problem!