Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Warm roof

D

Dave Wickham

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all
Can anyone recommend the BEST product to insulate the pop up roof in winter (Cali T6). The Brandrup internal insulation looks a faff to fit, really want something quite easy to install and remove from the pop up roof. A few on the market not sure which is best and why?
Thanks for assistance.
Dave

The Brandrup is a faff to, as you say, fit - but you only fit it ,ONCE.
The things that droop over the tent on its outside are IMHO a faff to mount and to take down and especially so in wind and rain. ie you fit it and (un)fit it evry time you move your wagon!

I ditched my droop over after about 6 months of use (I gave it away) and bought a brandrup liner and have been using it for around 10 years.

Regular use in UK weather including four seasons in the highlands of scotland and Europe mainland in spring/summer/autumn in france spain portugal (but not winter).

Come on guys, time to have yet another classic debate.

the isotop is a faff once, other external solutions are a faff every time you put them on…

I’ve used a cover that was ‘roofless’ to allow for my roof bars and solar panel. It is a pain to fit and flaps around so doesn’t work terribly well but is good at keeping snow out of the roof mechanism. If I was buying again I’d consider one that is easier to fit that simply slides in behind the mechanism close to the roof canvas. I’d also consider the internal option.

Is the Thais inner system less of a faff?

Also a factor is can the top be dried out when you get home, those who‘s vans are parked on the street at home, over the top covers allow for a dry canvas with no need to dry when back home, if using a internal liner in rainy weather when leaving the campsite, it will need drying at home

Hi all
Can anyone recommend the BEST product to insulate the pop up roof in winter (Cali T6). The Brandrup internal insulation looks a faff to fit, really want something quite easy to install and remove from the pop up roof. A few on the market not sure which is best and why?
Thanks for assistance.
Dave
We’ve got Pucer screens for the pop top and front windows. Easy to fit. Keeps us toasty :)

Also a factor is can the top be dried out when you get home, those who‘s vans are parked on the street at home, over the top covers allow for a dry canvas with no need to dry when back home, if using a internal liner in rainy weather when leaving the campsite, it will need drying at home
Surely you would still need to dry a wet external cover when you get home?

So is a waterproof jacket, but it still gets wet.
So does an inner lining if water gets through the external canvas/material either from contact wicking, although I gather the later materials although more translucent are more waterproof than canvas, or via the vents in the canvas. In which case the combined canvas + insulating lining must take longer to dry than just the canvas.

The Brandrup is a faff to, as you say, fit - but you only fit it ,ONCE.
The things that droop over the tent on its outside are IMHO a faff to mount and to take down and especially so in wind and rain. ie you fit it and (un)fit it evry time you move your wagon!

I ditched my droop over after about 6 months of use (I gave it away) and bought a brandrup liner and have been using it for around 10 years.

Regular use in UK weather including four seasons in the highlands of scotland and Europe mainland in spring/summer/autumn in france spain portugal (but not winter).
Thanks Barry. Can you get the roof down OK with these internally fitted insulation liners? My roof is electric and concerned it may jam the struts on the way down!

Thanks Barry. Can you get the roof down OK with these internally fitted insulation liners? My roof is electric and concerned it may jam the struts on the way down!
They work perfectly with both manual and electric roofs. I gather, with the Panoramic bellows, where the whole front can be unzipped, you are supposed to unzip the front section on the liner before closing. Apparently the extra zips etc: make it bulkier than the normal, non-panoramic, liner.

There are pros and cons for internal / external but for any prolonged rain or snow there is a place for an external roofless topper. As others have said it keeps snow out of the mechanism and leaves the bellows dry which allows you to drop the roof in the knowledge you don't need to wait for a good drying day to dry it out.

We used ours for a week at St Anton where it snowed almost every day, it would have been a big issue getting the roof down if we had not had the topper on.

Also regularly used at Glencoe for midweek skiing.

It is a bit of a faf but you do get quicker at it, even in windy conditions.

I’ve also have an external topper. I live in Norway, often bad wether in the winter. A lot of snow, sometimes wet snow. We camp a lot during free ride-skiing and/or ice climbing. Had my topper for 5 years. We are always two person when putting on the topper. You get used to it, now uncomplicated. Big BIG advantage for me to keep the bellows and mechanics dry. When back home late on Sunday I can park the Calli in the garage and forget about it…

With a external topper, is there still enough ventilation, since it passes in front of the small ones?

Last edited:
With a external topper, is there still enough ventilation, since it passes in front of the small ones?
Enough ventilation, yes. In fact I don’t think it affects the ventilation at all…

More than enough ventilation round the bottom, without it there is sometimes too much ventilation though the top mesh vents in higher winds and very cold temperatures.

I find the external topper a faff to fit but that's primarily because I rarely feel the need to fit it so forget how! Even after 4 years of ownership I still find securing the roof clips on my Beach a little awkward - I don't need any more material to get in the way.

I find the external topper a faff to fit but that's primarily because I rarely feel the need to fit it so forget how! Even after 4 years of ownership I still find securing the roof clips on my Beach a little awkward - I don't need any more material to get in the way.
? ? The external topper is removed before needing to lock the roof, isn't it?
Maybe it would be the case with the internal one.

Back