Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water Filler Cap - Stolen Keys

Cameron1960

Cameron1960

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Someone very kindly stole both my water filler cap keys. Any suggestions as to how I can get the cap off?

has the lock got a number on it?

Unfortunately not

Big screwdriver it is then

Worth trying to drill out the lock before applying too much force. You could end up damaging the filler neck.

Worth trying to drill out the lock before applying too much force. You could end up damaging the filler neck.
Good logic but you don't want to end up with metal swarf in the tank, so a tricky one.

The locks on those filler caps are crap.
Just by pushing the cap in and twisting and turning it you should
be able to get it off, make sure you have the new one ready cos if you
do get it off it will be in the locked position and you won't get it back on.

Just replace the cap with the groundplate. One day or another they will fall off like nothing.

Large flat screwdriver head on the lock barrel + a Gentle hammer blow ! (well that's how the garage got my fuel cap off once)

Sorry Cameron,

Have been away with no email for a week. You have probably fixed it by now, but if you haven’t............

Drill a 2mm hole Starting about 3mm in from the outer edge of the cap (just inside of the radiused corner) and angle the drill slightly towards the edge of the cap.
After the outer black cap you should hit the blue plastic of the inner mechanism (the blue swarf will confirm that you are in the right place)
Stop drilling at 10 mm depth.
Put a 2mm nail (or the back end of the drill) into the hole. The black outer should now be locked to the blue inner and you should be able to twist off the cap as if it was unlocked.
Simples.

Did you check they had not syphoned out your fresh water ?

Sorry Cameron,

Have been away with no email for a week. You have probably fixed it by now, but if you haven’t............

Drill a 2mm hole Starting about 3mm in from the outer edge of the cap (just inside of the radiused corner) and angle the drill slightly towards the edge of the cap.
After the outer black cap you should hit the blue plastic of the inner mechanism (the blue swarf will confirm that you are in the right place)
Stop drilling at 10 mm depth.
Put a 2mm nail (or the back end of the drill) into the hole. The black outer should now be locked to the blue inner and you should be able to twist off the cap as if it was unlocked.
Simples.
My job for today when the rain stops!

Back