Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water in and underneath cabinet

bmassaer

bmassaer

Vehicle
Please Select
I recently noticed water underneath and in the cabinet of our VW California T5, built 2007. It does not seem to be coming from the sink, it also appears when we were not using the sink.
Can it come from the outside? How can I check the sealing around the side window? Anybody had this happening also?

Thank you!

Bart

20190729_170612.jpg

I recently noticed water underneath and in the cabinet of our VW California T5, built 2007. It does not seem to be coming from the sink, it also appears when we were not using the sink.
Can it come from the outside? How can I check the sealing around the side window? Anybody had this happening also?

Thank you!

Bart

View attachment 48096
Two thoughts.
1. The Waste Water Tank Cover. The white cap on the picture. Fill the waste tank and check for leaks from that.

2. Do you have a Sliding window over the sink/kitchen.
Not uncommon for the drains to block or not be correct from new. There are 2 drains to check.

There is indeed the sliding window above the sink, and it must be the one leaking since the drain water tank is empty. How to check and fix the drains? And I read about Silicon grease?

There is indeed the sliding window above the sink, and it must be the one leaking since the drain water tank is empty. How to check and fix the drains? And I read about Silicon grease?
I use a syringe to push water down the two drains.... it clears them but also tests whether they leak. There are also two small drains between the glass and the frame that are just gaps of about1mm which can be checked. Use silicone based spray or grease to clean the window seal. Worth looking at the previous posts for more details.
I had to have the whole side window replaced twice before my leak was sorted!

Okay, it seems to be a clear cut... but not a good one. When I pour water through the drain (I can only find one, in the front?), the total volume of water just runs into the cabinet...
Do you think this could be fixed? Then the window needs to be taken out? Of the cabinet taken out?

Thank you for helping me out!

Okay, it seems to be a clear cut... but not a good one. When I pour water through the drain (I can only find one, in the front?), the total volume of water just runs into the cabinet...
Do you think this could be fixed? Then the window needs to be taken out? Of the cabinet taken out?

The only way mine was fixed was a replacement window. But that was under warranty so it didn’t cost me. If I were you I would try putting some silicone grease around the window seal, the rubber, and not use the window.
If you do get a new window test the drains before they fit it!

If this is a new problem, then the window drains are blocked. This is difficult to solve.

There are two drains one at the front, easily seen, and one at the back of the sliding window which isn't exposed as the sliding window sits over it.

The drain channel from these holes turns towards the outside of the van under the glass, and become a slot. The channel then turns down (again at right angles) and allow water to drain from under the bottom edge of the window on the outside. The is a very thin slot and becomes blocked very easily.

You could try a pipe cleaner (or child's coloured play version), a blast of canned air, as used by photographers for cleaning lenses, may also work, or as Alec has said, a syringe of water.

Basically, it is a process of trial and error.

Alan

Last edited:

As has been said. This is a new problem, I presume, in a 2007 vehicle. So not a manufacturing fault and most likely a blocked drain.
Both drains need to be cleaned out. I believe the sliding window panel can be removed to access both drains, and clean the seals properly.

If you don't use the window then the other alternative is to use clear silicone and seal the window.

Back