Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ocean (MY24) Kitchen cabinet latch query?

F

franky'K

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We recently picked up a California ocean which we are really pleased with so far.
I have noticed that the kitchen cabinet sliding door under the sink (RHS) does not latch to the cabinet and just slides shut, the left hand sliding door does latch (cooker side). Is this normal? Thanks.

We recently picked up a California ocean which we are really pleased with so far.
I have noticed that the kitchen cabinet sliding door under the sink (RHS) does not latch to the cabinet and just slides shut, the left hand sliding door does latch (cooker side). Is this normal? Thanks.
No. It should latch.

No. It should latch.
Try closing the RH door as far as you can then pushing the concealed left edge of it from behind the LH door.

I had the same issue you describe and doing the above worked for me (MY23). In time this has improved and now generally clicks into place though not always. The one thing I did not want to do is let a VW tech loose on the cabinets. I tried ptfe lubricants etc. without any noticeable change. Those sliding doors need kid-glove handling and one should definitely avoid slamming across even if you have to ‘ease’ them for the last part of the overlap. They are not a brilliant design really but from what I have read the catches can easily break, repairs are problematic and replacements very expensive.

I have a similar issue with the sliding roof hatch, This can drift open (others have similarly posted) particularly since I lubricated the sliding channel but I have just got used to it and prefer the easy slide to the original resistance.

Thanks - Pushing from LHS does help and it has led me to conclude the door latching mechanism/button insert is a bit loose and is why it doesn’t click in place when the door is fully shut , it seems to just move the door latch insert away from the cabinet edge when closed. Not a major issue just more of an annoyance.

Are you sure there’s nothing getting in the way? This often happens with either things in the cupboard or dirt in the runners.

Thanks - Pushing from LHS does help and it has led me to conclude the door latching mechanism/button insert is a bit loose and is why it doesn’t click in place when the door is fully shut , it seems to just move the door latch insert away from the cabinet edge when closed. Not a major issue just more of an annoyance.
Bothered me for a while, but not any more!

Are you sure there’s nothing getting in the way? This often happens with either things in the cupboard or dirt in the runners.
Thanks for the suggestion and after checking I don’t think this is the issue as the door slides completely shut with no gap between cabinet and door.
I have tried placing some tape across the back of the plastic latch mechanism from inside the door to push the plastic (button) you would normally press to open the door forward slightly and this just about catches the cabinet to latch the door shut.

Try closing the RH door as far as you can then pushing the concealed left edge of it from behind the LH door.

I had the same issue you describe and doing the above worked for me (MY23). In time this has improved and now generally clicks into place though not always. The one thing I did not want to do is let a VW tech loose on the cabinets. I tried ptfe lubricants etc. without any noticeable change. Those sliding doors need kid-glove handling and one should definitely avoid slamming across even if you have to ‘ease’ them for the last part of the overlap. They are not a brilliant design really but from what I have read the catches can easily break, repairs are problematic and replacements very expensive.

I have a similar issue with the sliding roof hatch, This can drift open (others have similarly posted) particularly since I lubricated the sliding channel but I have just got used to it and prefer the easy slide to the original resistance.
Definitely agree with kid glove handling comment. Our latch is broken and we use a plastic key ring fob which looks like a wedge you would use under the leg of an uneven table!

The latch on our right hand door broke because our dog leaned on the door. Bought a new latch and impressed myself by replacing it.

The kitchen cupboard latches are made of chocolate. I've had two replaced under warranty in 2 years. I treat them extremely carefully now.

Back