Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water leak

Wet passenger side foot well 2018 California Ocean T6 with 4000s miles only.
Just noticed a very wet carpet under the passenger foot well mat. No obvious leaks in the cab or from the roof, the seat, dash and door card all dry.
Any ideas ?? Is this a common problem ?? Or will the local dealer be "unaware" .
thanks Alison.

Possibly leak from front roof drain which runs internally to the inner wheel arch? This issue has been covered on the forum previously.

Wet passenger side foot well 2018 California Ocean T6 with 4000s miles only.
Just noticed a very wet carpet under the passenger foot well mat. No obvious leaks in the cab or from the roof, the seat, dash and door card all dry.
Any ideas ?? Is this a common problem ?? Or will the local dealer be "unaware" .
thanks Alison.

Hi and welcome on your first post.
If you read this topic from the top on you will find a bunch of things to look at , non of these where the cause ?

It could be that someone has tried cleaning the drains before and caused the damage.
Unlike the rear drains which can be cleared with bit of wire because the tube is basically straight the fronts have a plastic ninety degrees bend a few inches in. This can get pushed off the tube and the water simply runs down inside the A pillar. Using an air line can also push the tube off.

its easy to test the drains to see if they work

Possibly leak from front roof drain which runs internally to the inner wheel arch? This issue has been covered on the forum previously.

Thank you. Will investigate this first.
Best regards. ALi.

The roof drain runs to a rubber valve in the scuttle panel

Thank you. Will investigate this first.
Best regards. ALi.

I check my drains two or three times a year, elevate the roof, use steps so you can get high enough to remove the plastic covers and see the front drain inlet. I use a 6 mm bit of hose pushed into an old silicon nozzle and push this just into the drain opening and blow, lung pressure only, this check it is clear. To test the inner hose is complete simply run some water into the drain inlet, you should see it dripping out at the inner wheel arch.

Do not push anything hard into the drain.

It is surprising how much debris you can get in the roof drains, especially from camping near trees.

Rear drains are easy as you can see from one end to the other and there are no caps to remove.

the drain also works on water pressure so dont be surprised if you see nothing coming out at first there is a rubber valve in the scuttle panel that will open once there is enough water in the pipe

Calikev can you help solve a mystery we have just discovered the water in footwell problem and put it down to the brown pipe coming disconnected behind the glove box on investigation this seems to be the case but cannot for the life of me find anything that this pipe connects to. Above you mention the water coming through the valve into the scuttle on our T5.1 we have a corrugated tude coming through that valve but the brown tube doesn’t seem to have any think to connect to. Pic attached

BBB55907-E5B9-4249-9BF5-FC2663A7248F.jpeg

6C8FA399-FF1D-4E2D-A64D-598784F317A7.jpeg

AE372128-5D87-48B7-BC08-5191A042FE66.jpeg

Hi all, I have read the whole thread and I believe it is related to what I have found today, however I am not totally sure. If not, and I better open a new thread, please let me know.

Last weekend we got some snow and rain. When I got home I opened the roof to let it dry completely. This morning I was going to close it, and found this puddle of water at the front left of the roof. I have collected the water with a cloth and closed the roof but, do I have a problem? Is this where you say there is a hole to drain that water and is blocked? Or this is simply yet another design fault by VW?

IMG_3889.JPG

And about 25cms from the puddle, laying over the guide, I have found the grommet you see below. I have quickly gone around to the other side of the van to check where it's meant to go, however on the other side I have not found one of them. Does this grommet go in the hole that the bar below has? It seems to fit perfectly, so if it goes there I will fit it, and then look for something to fit on the other side, as I imagine that finding a grommet exactly like this will be impossible.
Thanks in advance.

IMG_3891.JPG
IMG_3890.JPG

Please ignore what I've just posted above. Have continued searching and found what I'm looking for in the thread below, which I'll read in a moment. Apologies.

I recently accidentally discovered that I was losing water in the tank right after pouring it. It turned out that the plastic pipe connecting the tank with the filler was worn. at the service center they dismantled the furniture to remove the floor, now everything is drying, some ends of the electric wires are damaged and need to be replaced, it's good that I noticed it because the costs would have been much higher

Back