Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water pump and tap issues

Mama Mama

Mama Mama

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I have a 2007 T5. Water pump not working. Tap not working. Tap does click. The water tank is full but I am unable to empty. Manual says to access the lever on the water tank. There is no lever…

Any suggestions?

We have a t6, our lever is near the gas bottle. Have you checked the fuse? Or your water pump may have failed. Hope this helps

Yup there's a lever for the freshwater tank that empties it.
Doesn't the manual say how access the lever?

Open the tailgate.
Open the tambour door of the shelved cupboard on the LHS.

Take out the bottom shelf of the three shelves.
It slides up and out of the four brackets that support it.

You'll now see the black plastic lid that covers the gas bottle.
Leave the lid where it is.
To the left of tyhe lid is a lever that open and closes the drain tube for the tank in question.
If there's water in the tank, moving the lever til it stops moving should let water trickle out onto the road.
You'll hear it. The see it.
With my van it's so slow as to be a useless trickle but taking off the top youy removed to fill the water tank in the first place will quicken things up a lot.

Hope this helps.

I've had 3 different issues already with the water system in the California. I've learned a few things as I fixed all of them, including replacing the water pump myself, so I decided to document it all in case it helps others. Here's a first guide on how to identify which problem you are actually experiencing:

https://medium.com/@maxi-mizer/fix-vw-california-ocean-coast-kitchen-water-issues-43a19d0d893a

I hope it helps! I'll update this thread as I complete the detailed step-by-step guides (feel free to drop by that article and give me some claps and comments for motivation!)

I've had 3 different issues already with the water system in the California. I've learned a few things as I fixed all of them, including replacing the water pump myself, so I decided to document it all in case it helps others. Here's a first guide on how to identify which problem you are actually experiencing:

https://medium.com/@maxi-mizer/fix-vw-california-ocean-coast-kitchen-water-issues-43a19d0d893a

I hope it helps! I'll update this thread as I complete the detailed step-by-step guides (feel free to drop by that article and give me some claps and comments for motivation!)
Looking forward to the step by step guide and the secret to getting at the water pump!

Great post looking forward to your guides cheers

Great post looking forward to your guides cheers
Is there any in particular you think will be of particular interest? Happy to start with whichever people will find more useful.

Cheers

Is there any in particular you think will be of particular interest? Happy to start with whichever people will find more useful.

Cheers
Our particular problem was that the pump had stopped working and the 5amp fuse had blown after then changing the fuse and turning the tap on to check, the fuse blew again! The tap does make a click noise when turning on but no noise from the pump!
Would this suggest that the pump has seized which keeps blowing the fuses?

Our particular problem was that the pump had stopped working and the 5amp fuse had blown after then changing the fuse and turning the tap on to check, the fuse blew again! The tap does make a click noise when turning on but no noise from the pump!
Would this suggest that the pump has seized which keeps blowing the fuses?
You could rule out the microswitch using the shower and seeing if that starts the pump. If you idon'thave the shower you could force the connection (removing the drawer and bypassing the tap) or testing with a multimeter at the pump's connection by the water tank. You could also look at whether the camping control display shows any leisure battery drain when you open the tap, but that will probably blow your fuse from what you are saying. With that in mind, it would seem to me as if the microswitch is OK (the click doesn't have anything to do with it, mine clicked but the microswitch didn't make a good connection and didn't start the pump) otherwise the fuse wouldn't blow if it did nothing.

So, it does sound like it could be the pump. I guess I'll start with that one!

If you are feeling adventurous or want to give it a go this weekend, someone on this forum had water pump issues and replaced it but then messed a bit with the old pump, to find out it still worked. He just had to push on the propeller (bottom of the pump). If you search the forum you should be able to find it. I still have the one I removed from my van, so I will give that a go and see if I get a spare pump. Might be the same issue you have and if that is the case you don't have to replace it or even disconnect it. Just opening the water tank lid (which is no easy task. I used pliers and a wrench and combined those as a "water tank opener tool". It's somewhere in the forums as well).

If you are feeling adventurous or want to give it a go this weekend, someone on this forum had water pump issues and replaced it but then messed a bit with the old pump, to find out it still worked. He just had to push on the propeller (bottom of the pump). If you search the forum you should be able to find it. I still have the one I removed from my van, so I will give that a go and see if I get a spare pump. Might be the same issue you have and if that is the case you don't have to replace it or even disconnect it. Just opening the water tank lid (which is no easy task. I used pliers and a wrench and combined those as a "water tank opener tool". It's somewhere in the forums as well).
Thanks for your advise! Really appreciated

Back