Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water pump

B

Brianandjoy

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Our recently purchased California is going in this week to have flat leisure batteries sorted,I thought I had better try the water pump,filled up turned tap on nothing,I tried to look at the fuse but they are difficult to reach under the front seat and there are 2 ,5 amp ones,how do I know which is the water pump and how do you get one out as there is nothing to get hold of.The manual says you should take it out in the winter once the system is drained,if this has been done how do I know where it goes back as there are lots of spaces

there is a diagram in the download section

I put a photo up once showing where the fuse is but no idea how to find it (the photo) now! Re the seat, I seem to recall you have to turn it almost through 180 degrees then slide it towards the rear. I used Long nose pliers to remove it. Once I dropped it and never saw it again! :headbang

Our recently purchased California is going in this week to have flat leisure batteries sorted,I thought I had better try the water pump,filled up turned tap on nothing,I tried to look at the fuse but they are difficult to reach under the front seat and there are 2 ,5 amp ones,how do I know which is the water pump and how do you get one out as there is nothing to get hold of.The manual says you should take it out in the winter once the system is drained,if this has been done how do I know where it goes back as there are lots of spaces
Not knowing which vehicle you have, as you're still Looking to Buy according to your profile, the fuse only needs to be removed so that the Tap can be opened to allow water to drain back from the pipes. In fact it is easier just to locate the plug/socket connection for the tap, remove cutlery draw and follow the wires from the base of the tap, and just unplug it.
1. Do you hear a click when you open the tap? this is the microswitch.
2. Do you have the Shower Connection? If so Open the kitchen tap and turn on the Shower. Water should flow if pump is OK.
3. The fact that the Dealers Flattened the Leisure Batteries leads me to think they are unlikely to have removed the fuse for the water pump.
4. If the Tap clicks and Pump doesn't work it could just be stuck. If under Warranty then Dealer. A possible quick fix is to try and blow down the tap, with the tap open. Opening the top of the water tank to take out the pump is not easy without the correct tool.

Yes the tap clicks when you turn it on,we haven’t updated our profile yet we have an Ocean

I tried the shower,nothing!
So pump not working. Electrical fault or stuck pump.

5 amp Fuse at Fuse location 20 under the Front Passenger Seat. Turn Passenger Seat to face rear and then slide fully rear. Use fine long nosed pliers or the Fuse Removal tool found, normally, in the Fuse Compartment On or about the Gear stick area.

Last edited:
If it’s not the fuse, maybe the pump is stuck.

Mine stuck once after the winter drain down, I banged it against the side of the water tank and it started working. To do this you need to take the top off the water tank; this needs a tool WG mentioned but I made one with a piece of 2” x 1” timber about 10” long with two screws partly screwed in to grip the plastic bars on the lid.

Don’t use the tool to tighten it up again! Just hand tight, even then you will need the tool to get it off again!

Here is a link to the actual tool you can buy, you will see how to make one from that. Or you could buy one ...

By the sounds of it your Ocean will be under warranty but sometimes you don’t want to traipse all the way back to the dealers.

Good luck!

With all the problems you seem to have with your Cali(reading on the forum) only thing you need to do asap is a return ride to your dealer , hand over the keys and have it sorted out.

I managed to make an undoing tool at the second attempt,alas no luck banging the sides,I will try to take the fuse out later ,I examined it with a torch and all seemed ok though it’s hard to see with the 5 obscuring everything

I managed to make an undoing tool at the second attempt,alas no luck banging the sides,I will try to take the fuse out later ,I examined it with a torch and all seemed ok though it’s hard to see with the 5 obscuring everything
Have you got a multimeter to check there is power going to the pump at the tank end? Make sure you are testing the pump wires, not the level indicator.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned to check the connectors under the sink?

It the pump is faulty they are surprisingly cheap and easy to get hold of in most caravan accessory stores. Maybe not exactly the same but near enough. It would do until you get to the dealer and then it can be kept as a spare.

After a lot of struggling doing everything else I took both 5 amp fuses out as it didn’t say which one was the pump sure enough it was blown,I won’t chance replacing it as it goes into very Exeter on Wednesday to have the rapidly discharging batteries sorted,do fuses just blow or is it likely there is a wiring fault

Has anyone got a picture of the water pump,Ive read on the forum that the impeller May be stuck causing the fuse to blow,I wonder if I put my arm into the tank will I be able to feel it to free it

Has anyone got a picture of the water pump,Ive read on the forum that the impeller May be stuck causing the fuse to blow,I wonder if I put my arm into the tank will I be able to feel it to free it
Its easy enough to get to.
Via the wardrobe, unscrew the lid on the tank and you will be able to
take the pump out.

Thanks,do you have to disconnect the pipes or are they bendy enough to pull it out still connnected

alas no luck banging the sides
Not sure if you misunderstood from that, I did meant actually to put your arm in and bang the pump on the sides of the tank to free it, is that what you did? If I recall it needed a good thwack for mine to get going!

Yes I did put my arm in and gave it a good bang ,then later found the fuse had gone.I need to check the impeller isn’t stuck before trying a new fuse

How freely running should the water pump impellorbe,the fuse is blown on our recently purchased Ocean,following advice on the forum I got the pump up to the surface but I can only spin the impeller with small pliers it’s very stiff.I don’t want to put a new fuse in if it’s going to blow again because the impeller is too stiff

How freely running should the water pump impellorbe,the fuse is blown on our recently purchased Ocean,following advice on the forum I got the pump up to the surface but I can only spin the impeller with small pliers it’s very stiff.I don’t want to put a new fuse in if it’s going to blow again because the impeller is too stiff
Should spin freely. Similar type pumps you can turn the impeller by blowing on it.

How easy are they to fit,the problem is where is is wired in

You can buy the genuine one from the club shop inc connectors