Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water tank & must have item!

Personally I fall into fill the tank half full drive around and flush it through.
we don’t drink water direct from the Cali tap but use it boiled for tea and cooking.
No problem after 12 months ownership :thumb

I just use this, from the Club Shop or Amazon.

Must second Welsh Gas. At 6 months when purchased our T6’s water tank even after flushing many times had an odd taste\taint to the water even after boiling and only a day or so storage, irrespective of home or away water source.
A purge with Puriclean and then 6 monthly dose with Katadyn all taint resolved and no stainless steel marking.

Useful tip to get the best “bang for your buck” is use the tap to empty the solution from fresh tank to sink and hence grey water tank . No nasty gunge and smells when emptying grey water tank after this has been done once a year

Picking up on Welsh Gas’s point, unless you know that what went in met UK drinking water standard and has been maintained at that standard, better to use water for cooking and boiled for drinks and use water direct from mains supply or via a reusable drinking bottle that is cleaned regularly than drinking water from tank unless a fresh mains water fill via clean fill pipework.

However, all about risk perception and reducing it,
Bring your own water grade fill hose rather than use the one lying in the crap at the fill point.
If you must use the supplied one flush the delivery pipe to waste( typical hosepipe about 1.5 litres of water per 10 metre length, typical water supply through 15 mm pipework = 0.3 litres per second at 1 bar mains pressure = 5 seconds to flush so around 10 to 20 seconds to flush back to water that has not been standing around and lost chlorine residual (if mains supply) but many sites have very long piperuns and don’t like water waste so be careful who is watching your fill up

Oh to be back using the California as intended.

DA49A27E-A6F6-445F-8871-9B375910C8EA.jpeg

Thanks guys - I seem to have opened a can of worms! I guess it’s probably best practice to take a bit of all your advice. Agreed - what comes out depends on what you put in, and so long as I don’t use water that’s been sitting around for long periods in the tank, if I flush through a few times I should be ok! Yet to fill and empty it so that’s the next challenge!! just need to get out in it for a few days - can’t wait for things to start opening up! Thanks again!

A very timely post, thank you. We have never used the water tank but think we will probably need to this year if we ever get away as I want to avoid any unnecessary use of communal facilities. Filling the tank before we leave home would help with that.

Could you share the link to this test, please? I googled with no success.

Can't find the test itself either, but several Dutch sources suggest using it. Amongst them NKC, 'Europe's largest camper club', the Dutch 'camping magazine', etc. The link below are in Dutch.

As I haven't used the water in my Cali for a long time and the tank is almost empty I want to make sure it's clean and have bought some Katadyn Micropur. Just been reading the instructions and I want to be sure I have it right.

As far as I can see, you add the Micropur and leave it in, but I'm a bit concerned about this. First, I don't want my tea to taste funny cos my cuppa is important to me!
But more importantly, I take various medications for arthritis and blood pressure and worry about the Micropur having any ingredients that might interfere with these (my insides are a bit sensitive!)

Will it still do the job if I fill the tank and dose it with Micropur, drive around for a couple of days, then empty and refill with clean water?

As I haven't used the water in my Cali for a long time and the tank is almost empty I want to make sure it's clean and have bought some Katadyn Micropur. Just been reading the instructions and I want to be sure I have it right.

As far as I can see, you add the Micropur and leave it in, but I'm a bit concerned about this. First, I don't want my tea to taste funny cos my cuppa is important to me!
But more importantly, I take various medications for arthritis and blood pressure and worry about the Micropur having any ingredients that might interfere with these (my insides are a bit sensitive!)

Will it still do the job if I fill the tank and dose it with Micropur, drive around for a couple of days, then empty and refill with clean water?
Katadyn sterilisers water. I've been using it for years. Completely odourless and tasteless. Safe with all medicines unless you drink it neat, and the whole bottle.

Thanks WG! That saves some messing about, I'll just put it in then. :)

Thanks WG! That saves some messing about, I'll just put it in then. :)
I too have used the Katadyn following WG advice for nearly 2 years, as our water tank added an unpleasant taint to the water even after just 24 hrs fresh filled at home.
Once treated all these problems have gone, never experienced any taint or odour since and my cuppa tastes fine even when the water is a week old in the tank.
5 stars from me for Katadyn

I use the Puriclean powder mixed as per manufacturer instructions then flushed through with a couple of tanks of fresh cold water from the tap.

From the Tap in the house and from the Tank in the California.

Tap water from the Utility company has been treated, but once it leaves the tap and passes through any other connection/hose/container then there is a possibility of contamination, particularly on outside taps and taps on campsites etc:

I don't drink bottled water which often has a higher bacterial count than tap water directly from the tap.
And I don't drink it because it is one of the greatest contributors to plastic pollution and one of the biggest rip-offs perpetrated in the western world on a gullible public second only to the " Drink at least 3L of water a Day " campaign.
Great comments, but you sound more like Welsh Water than Welsh Gas!

Another tip, which might sound weird, but works:

The largest Dutch camper owner's club once did a test and it turned out that between all the products you could buy to clean your fresh water tank (and subsequently the grey water tank as well), the best working method was using steradent denture cleaners. These are tablets sold in a tube and they cost next to nothing compared to products specifically sold to clean your fresh water tank.
I don't know who 'The largest Dutch camper owner's club' are but it's true: I've been using unbranded ones (are doing just as well) for years and it works perfectly and indeed, cheap :D

Greetings

I don't know who 'The largest Dutch camper owner's club' are but it's true: I've been using unbranded ones (are doing just as well) for years and it works perfectly and indeed, cheap :D

Greetings
How many tablets do you use?
I guess I want to make up about 10 l and let it slosh around for 4 days, to and from the airport, then empty using pump into grey water, then slosh around for another 4 days.
Then empty both.

Do not use Milton. Use Puriclean tablets or powder and just follow the manufacturers instructions :cool::cool::cool:
Just got 400gm tub from Amazon… thought it was tablets but is powder. Instruction are 1teaspoon per litre water, this seems a lot. Was yours tabs or powder, if powder how much did you use ?

I use the Puriclean powder mixed as per manufacturer instructions then flushed through with a couple of tanks of fresh cold water from the tap.
How much powder did you use, just got the 400gm tub from Amazon( thinking it was tablets) and it’s the powder. Instruction appears to suggest 1 teaspoon per litre of water and I thought that seemed like ‘a lot’ ?

When my water pump died I was always a little suspicious that the powder might of killed it. Puriclean doesn’t seem to dissolve in the water very well.
I think I’ve been nervous ever since.
I would much prefer a liquid.
Decided to give this a try.

Last edited:
How much powder did you use, just got the 400gm tub from Amazon( thinking it was tablets) and it’s the powder. Instruction appears to suggest 1 teaspoon per litre of water and I thought that seemed like ‘a lot’ ?
Tub says will treat 90 litres so 2.57 tank fills or if you drive like a demon and slosh it around = 3 tank fills
;)

9E6A2CA9-2CE0-4C91-9C61-917FF67D33D6.jpeg

When my water pump died I was always a little suspicious that the powder might of killed it.
I think I’ve been nervous ever since.
I would much prefer a liquid.
I had what I thought was a dead pump and replaced it only to find that limescale crystals had caused such resistance that the pump impeller, although able to turned by hand, could not be turned by the motor.
A push with a suitable drift sorted it and gave me a spare pump ( new one fitted first before find out what had seized the old one6DBFBAE4-FC37-4C86-98EB-97DE4E72F334.jpeg

Christ on a bike!!!

Back