Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water Tank Query - from a beginner!

SuzeM

SuzeM

Hello

I have just bought a lovely VW Cali and on the control panel it says that there is a little bit of water in the fresh tank. Nothing comes out when I turn the tap thingy. I wondered if there was a cunning way to get the last bit out. I have read the manual, but not sure.
The car is left outside, so worried it may freeze in there.

Thanks loads
Suze

Open the valve in the bottom of the rear cupboard by the gas bottle access and it drains the water from the bottom of the tank out of a drain by the rear wheel. Once you've done this operate the tap in the sink very briefly just to get the water out of the pipe between tank and sink and it all should be empty and not prone to freezing

Also be careful running the tap when tank empty

I think it's worth checking the water gauge in the tank is working correctly. It should show the tank as empty before the water finally runs out. It seems to be a common fault on the Cali. I'm on my second one - when it went wrong it failed to show a full tank as full or an empty tank as empty.

On my 2013 Cali, the panel recently started showing one bar (10 liters) even when the tank was definitely empty.

VW changed the sender unit in the tank & showed me the old one, where the central plastic tube was split from top to bottom...
New one works OK - but for how long?
The tank had never been left with any water in, in freezing conditions.

We've had both gauge sensors replaced but I still don't fully trust the readout.

When you're free campaign, it's pretty critical - we tend to just remember what we put in and use the gauge as a very rough guide only. It's nice to have but could work a lot better.

Running the tap with no water for too long will blow the pump motor.

So it should be ok to run the tap briefly on an empty tank tot drain the water out of the pipes? I was scared tot do so and damaging the pump...

My sensors are rubbish.

My fresh water shows full, pour a cupful out and its 3/4, clean my teeth and it's down to half and it's now showing empty despite being half full at least.

My waste only ever has one reading. Empty.

In reality it makes no difference to my peace and happiness on this planet. I regularly empty the waste so know it's never ever likely to be full, and if it was then I would know it because the sink won't empty ... who needs a gauge :lol:

The fresh I only use for silly things like washing up and rinsing out clothes, drinking water I only use bottled, so a top up every day from a 2l empty water bottle does me. On a bad day I need three visits to the tap to be full to overflowing.

The waste water tank only shows when it is full and nothing inbetween.

cheers

bmassaer said:
So it should be ok to run the tap briefly on an empty tank tot drain the water out of the pipes? I was scared tot do so and damaging the pump...
I thought the usual advice for draining water out of the tap, to avoid frost damage, was to remove the fuse, then fully open the tap for long enough (?) to allow all water to drain back down from the tap?
Last year, I managed to find the (very small) spot between opening the tap & turning on the pump, so left it like that until the faint gurgling stopped.
This year, I couldn't find that spot so took the fuse out, which was not so difficult really.

GrannyJen said:
In reality it makes no difference to my peace and happiness on this planet. I regularly empty the waste so know it's never ever likely to be full, and if it was then I would know it because the sink won't empty ... who needs a gauge :lol:

I am new here, hut the wat you make things relative... I really like your attitude, Granny Jen!

Remember the gauge and senders are not calibrated precision instruments, they are for guidance only, don't expect to much from them.

Why taking the fuse out helps is a mystery to me especially when Vw treat the location as classified information strictly on a need to know basis is also another mystery.

snowy55 said:
Why taking the fuse out helps is a mystery to me especially when Vw treat the location as classified information strictly on a need to know basis is also another mystery.
If you just run the pump until no more comes out the tap, then I suppose there is still a pipe-full which runs back down to the pump & can freeze there. (Just my assumption).
If you remove the fuse then open the tap, all the water can run back to the tank & be drained, so leaving the pump safer.
I don't understand why VW UK won't give fuse details, but the location of the water pump fuse is indicated in the California Supplement.
Along with the fuses for Battery charger, Pop-up roof, Reading lights, Refrigerator & Central Control Panel.

The fuse diagram I found is not compatible with mine... I have a pre-facelift Cali (2007). Where can I find the right fuse? Is it an alternative to uncouple the connection under the cupboard? Or should I use trial and error to find the right fuse?

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I will investigate further and do some tests. :D

I've put my winter tyres on and parked the van under an open garage but under cover. I've been in UK (without van) for Xmas returning to Kosovo where temperatures have reached -17. Only today did it dawn on me about emptying the water tank - yes I know!! I just forgot. Went for a drive tonight and my control panel shows and empty tank and waste tank, I'm pretty sure it was quite full. I can only presume that it is iced up, running the tap and nothing happens not even a noise from the pump. I opened the waste valve and a dribble came out. I opened the water inlet and looked inside to see it illuminated by rear door light and could see some ice on the inside of the water tank. I think the only solution is to wait for the thaw (probably March). I'm hoping that I may get away with no damage and I guess I should remove the pump fuse at this stage. Any thoughts welcome?

Our froze once but we found that once the heating had been on for a while it thawed out quite quickly. No damage on that occasion. Maybe try opening the cupboards and running the heating for a few hours and see how things are.

I seem to remember the dealer telling me the Cali was tested down to -24 c without issue.

I've been reading forums for a while and the only damage I've seen reported is the tap popping off. I'm sure if you ran the pump whilst the supply was frozen that would damage it.

Thanks for this - I live in hope and will have a go with the internal heater tomorrow out of interest I'll post the results on the forum (either this week or maybe March!) :doh

Here's the update I promised. I managed to thaw out the tank a month or so ago and as I'm out of UK ordered a new water pump £17 just in case. Tested system today and thanks to this forum managed to see that the 5 amp fuse had blown. System tested and now working perfectly. A lucky escape for me and without this forum I would have struggled. I also had the spare fuses kit purchased through this forum. Happy ending on this issue as I prepare for my road long trip June - August when I shall be back on UK roads.

My sensors are rubbish.

My fresh water shows full, pour a cupful out and its 3/4, clean my teeth and it's down to half and it's now showing empty despite being half full at least.

My waste only ever has one reading. Empty.

The fresh I only use for silly things like washing up and rinsing out clothes, drinking water I only use bottled, so a top up every day from a 2l empty water bottle does me. On a bad day I need three visits to the tap to be full to overflowing.

If you want to never worry about drinking water again buy a filter that fits to a standard drinks (coke bottle) from Backpackinglight.co.uk
I have used one for years backpacking and it means any non saline water no mater how contaminated is fair game ( just filter out the mud with a t shirt or other material). They last for 1000's of litres and a lot less than bottled water.

Back