Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water dripping from spare wheel area

SteveW

SteveW

VIP Member
Hi all

Just a quick one, I've noticed over the last few times I've used the Cali that when I get home and park up there is water dripping from around the spare wheel area. I know it pees out from here amongst other places when draining the fresh water tank.

I do have my drinking water half full so was thinking that perhaps there is an over flue pipe of some discription and the water sloshing around in the tank is just running through this ??

:?:

Cheers

Steve

Are you sure the drain valve is shut properly ? Maybe work opening & shutting it to make sure.

Andy said:
Are you sure the drain valve is shut properly ? Maybe work opening & shutting it to make sure.

Hi Andy

Yep I tried that, i don't think it is that passing as the water level is not really dropping. It's been pretty full since cotf.

Cheers

Steve

SteveW said:
Hi all

Just a quick one, I've noticed over the last few times I've used the Cali that when I get home and park up there is water dripping from around the spare wheel area. I know it pees out from here amongst other places when draining the fresh water tank.

I do have my drinking water half full so was thinking that perhaps there is an over flue pipe of some discription and the water sloshing around in the tank is just running through this ??

Cheers

Steve

Still having them same happening, does anybody else have this issue ? Any feedback would be appriciated.

:thanks

Steve

SteveW said:
Hi all

Cheers

Steve

:? And still

Is the van on a slope (rear downward) as water from the fresh tank drain will find its way round to the rear bumper /spare wheel area if so.

Was your van sat a long time with out water in it and the valve shut by any chance? When I first picked mine up and put water in it I had a steady drip from the fresh tank. While I as cleaning it through I put the valve in different positions to try and cause the water to soften and weigh it down assuming it might be a rubber seal that had for a bit stiff. Opening the valve about a third of the way for 30 seconds or so then cycling fully open to fully closed a couple of times solved it for me.

The only other thing I can think is something has got into the tank and is stopping the valve closing fully.

Daft question, if you empty the fresh water tank, does the dripping stop (I.e. it is definitely the fresh water that is the source of the drip)?

Might be worth going in via the inspection hole in the bottom of the wardrobe to see if anything is fouling the valve if any of the above isn't helpful.

Dibz said:
Is the van on a slope (rear downward) as water from the fresh tank drain will find its way round to the rear bumper /spare wheel area if so.

Was your van sat a long time with out water in it and the valve shut by any chance? When I first picked mine up and put water in it I had a steady drip from the fresh tank. While I as cleaning it through I put the valve in different positions to try and cause the water to soften and weigh it down assuming it might be a rubber seal that had for a bit stiff. Opening the valve about a third of the way for 30 seconds or so then cycling fully open to fully closed a couple of times solved it for me.

The only other thing I can think is something has got into the tank and is stopping the valve closing fully.

Daft question, if you empty the fresh water tank, does the dripping stop (I.e. it is definitely the fresh water that is the source of the drip)?

Might be worth going in via the inspection hole in the bottom of the wardrobe to see if anything is fouling the valve if any of the above isn't helpful.

Hi Dibz

Thanks for you post.

To be honest I didn't notice the last year when I had the Cali and when the water ank was drained over the winter period I left the valve in the half way position. Dripping only seems to occur with a full ank of fresh water and only after I've driven around which makes me think the water sloshing around was finding its way through so sort of overflow pipe. It's stop dripping after five mins or so so presume its just what's splashed onto the undertry while driving. Not losing much volume at all to be honest. Also seem to not happen once the fresh water tank is down to half full. :crazy

Steve

If it only happens in those situations it does just sound like some overspill getting into the fill up inlet area. When I'm filling my tank with a hose I get a couple of mins of dripping because I get water everywhere. Sounds like you fill very full and are getting a similar run off. The inlet is just flexi hose and wouldn't surprise me if it can work a little loose or will leak if water returns out to it.

Back