Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water tank

M

MalcolmK

VIP Member
Can anybody tell me if I need to drain down my water tank in the winter will it freeze :?:
If I don't. If I go camping in the winter how do I stop it freezing :?:

A fine question, I wish I could answer it for you. I always drain mine when not in use.

Have a search for people who have taken the van skiing and perhaps pm them, as they must have faced this issue at ski resorts. Certainly you could empty the waste every day :headbang to remove one source of concern

Most water additives are toxic to you and/ or the van (salt, antifreeze etc), unless you use proper unadulterated alcohol (vodka, gin ...). Even that would taint the pipes though.

A freeze could cause horrible damage to awkward to get to parts, I would err on the side of caution whatever you learn on the subject

Don't know sure , but my guess is that it will freeze when themps go below a certain level .
If not in use and parked outside in winter just drain it out of precaution , if on holliday in minus zero themps , maybey could be enough to keep the webasto on at all times at low themp....to keep it plus zero in the van , note that it could wel be hot in the van but not in the back behind the panels where the tank is fitted!

I bought my California in Nov 2010 just when the freezing cold weather started . I took my van to Derbyshire and got snowed in on site in minus 15c degree temperature! I didn't have a roof cover at the time and I was unable to get the van off site due to the very deep snow at the exit and had to leave the van on site for 10 days. On return both water tanks that were left half full were ok with no ice having formed inside and no split in the water tank. On reflection I should have drained the tank prior to leaving it, and now whenever I am not using the California for camping I always drain both tanks.

When I next camp in very cold weather I will not completely fill the tanks in case the water freezes and expands.

Back