Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Watertank - best cleaning solution for water

Muchos04

Muchos04

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi all, I haven’t used my watertank at all this year. It intend to fill it up for drinking. Anyone any recommendations of the best way to clean thank from potential bacteria?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's quite a lot of threads on the forums about this subject. If you use the search function you will find quite a lot of information about different products and methods people use:

I personally use steradent denture cleaners. These are tablets sold in a tube and they cost next to nothing compared to products specifically sold to clean your fresh water tank.

Hi all, I haven’t used my watertank at all this year. It intend to fill it up for drinking. Anyone any recommendations of the best way to clean thank from potential bacteria?

Thanks

We use a few (3 or 4) Milton sterilising tablets, dissolved in 5 litres of water. This is left in the water tank for 15 minutes or so, before it’s flushed out with some fresh water and the tank then filled to capacity.
Once home from a trip, we’ll always drain the water tank but, if we’re planning to be away within a week or so, we’ll not “re-sterilise” the tank; instead, we’ll just flush a decent volume of fresh water through before filling up to the brim. No ill effects so far!

There's quite a lot of threads on the forums about this subject. If you use the search function you will find quite a lot of information about different products and methods people use:

I personally use steradent denture cleaners. These are tablets sold in a tube and they cost next to nothing compared to products specifically sold to clean your fresh water tank.

Brill thanks a lot for this info.
Will read up.

We use a few (3 or 4) Milton sterilising tablets, dissolved in 5 litres of water. This is left in the water tank for 15 minutes or so, before it’s flushed out with some fresh water and the tank then filled to capacity.
Once home from a trip, we’ll always drain the water tank but, if we’re planning to be away within a week or so, we’ll not “re-sterilise” the tank; instead, we’ll just flush a decent volume of fresh water through before filling up to the brim. No ill effects so far!

Great recommendation. Thank you!

I use this to clean the tank as Miltons can damage seals...

And these to sterilise the water...

Yes we use these too
so far so good.

Puriclean works for us. It gives a cloudy solution. Fill the tank up, leave for 3 hours and then flush the tank until the water from the tap is clear.

We’ve had ours 11 years and I think I’ve cleaned it 3 times. I wouldn’t worry too much. Once every year or two should be fine.

Back