Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone know where I could fill my watertank in edinburgh?

Muchos04

Muchos04

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi all

Anyone know the best place to fill my water tank in Edinburgh? I bought Puriclean on the advice from this forum and I now want to flush it through for a few days. Would use a service station but I’m not sure the water is clean and the hoses are either. I live in a flat hence I can’t get hose to van.

Thanks
Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Dave,
I would never use a hose pipe anyway.
I have 2x 10litre water containers and a funnel from Poundland. Does the job.
Use a washing up bowl to empty the waste tank and tip down the drain?

Get yourself a clean length of hose and ask nicely at any campsite. I have never been refused. Also been successful at pubs that have an outside tap. On one occasion I saw a householder watering his garden and asked to borrow his hose - that worker as well. Most people are helpful if asked nicely.

My cheekiest ask was at the coastguard station. I asked to use their pressure washer to clean dirt and salt from glass and lights and to fill fresh water and drain grey water. They were brilliantly helpful.

Brilliant thanks so much all for the helpful tips. Thinking of heading off camping in a couple of weeks time so i might first clean it out and do it by using a couple of big 10 ltr bottles of water.

The funnel type I use is a flexible funnel so that you can get the spout a long way down the inlet pipe.
You could also use a couple of 3litre fizzy pop bottles instead?
To clean the tank and system you only need about 10litres.
I put 10litres in premixed with puriclean. Leave over night and then run it through the van tap and sink and then drain it out from the waste tank.

Hi Dave,
I would never use a hose pipe anyway.
I have 2x 10litre water containers and a funnel from Poundland. Does the job.
Use a washing up bowl to empty the waste tank and tip down the drain?
There are plenty of hoses available that are for delivering drinking water.

I use a 5 litre water bottle that previously a house guest bought from a supermarket (as "tap water tastes funny") and a 1 litre squash bottle as a spout. The squash bottle has a big hole cut in the side and goes in the filler neck in the Cali , hole side facing up :) and the water gets poured in from the 5l bottle.

Then the 5l bottle then gets filled with water to drink and kept in the van :)

I would never use the water in the Cali tank to drink from, irrespective of how much purifier and cleaner you have used in the tank.

The Cali water is only used for washing etc.

We take bottled water to drink and fill the kettle.

Fully agree. You never know what crap is left within that water tank, and it doesnt matter how much you disinfect/sterilise it - there's always an unknown.

Get some fresh water from home and store it in bottles or buy some fresh bottles from the supermarket. Use the tank for washing up and kettle only.

Just because you 'can' do something doesn't mean you should :D

actually to my surprise, when I took the top off my 2008 Cali water tank, (to look at a problem with the level sensor) it was a whole lot cleaner than I expected - I would go as far to say that it looked like new. I wouldn't actually have a problem in drinking from it, however I figure there is no harm in having a known clean source for drinking water.

If you had seen the contents of the water tanks serving blocks of flats that people quite happily drink from, you wouldn't have any worries about drinking from the cali tank. ( not unusual to find an inch of silt at the bottom & the odd dead cat floating on top)

Ours gets filled up at home & with care when out travelling. Abroad I would use bottled drinking water to fill the tank. We then use it boiled for tea / coffee but as it is for brushing teeth etc. It does get drained & sterilised regularly, sometimes more than once a year!

If you had seen the contents of the water tanks serving blocks of flats that people quite happily drink from, you wouldn't have any worries about drinking from the cali tank. ( not unusual to find an inch of silt at the bottom & the odd dead cat floating on top)

Ours gets filled up at home & with care when out travelling. Abroad I would use bottled drinking water to fill the tank. We then use it boiled for tea / coffee but as it is for brushing teeth etc. It does get drained & sterilised regularly, sometimes more than once a year!

Urgghhh

Are you meaning hook one up to my kitchen tap and buy online? I can’t because I’m living in a flat.

I live in a flat too.
I bought a 12L can, fill it up at home, go downstairs, fill the Cali. Repeat. Done

I always fill up with a 10 liter can, whether I'm at home, camping or elsewhere. And then I keep the can filled in the boot for drinking water.
I find this way to be cleaner and safer.

The two theoretical issues are infection risk and toxicity from non food-grade plastics. So you can buy hoses for drinking water; commonly blue in colour - I guess they are made to avoid chemicals from the plastics entering the water. As long as you adopt a common sense approach, I’m sure you’re ok drinking from the cold water tank.

We sterilise ours with diluted Milton in Spring and autumn, otherwise are careful that water doesn’t hang around too long especially in hot weather. You don’t need total sterility - we have an immune system that deals (and some say is actually helped by) everyday bugs. I actively avoid anti-septic this and that (chopping boards, soap etc) for this reason.

Back