Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

We Connect California Ocean 6.1

Morsels

Morsels

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Our Ocean 6.1 '21 came with "We Connect", I grabbed the app, on my phone it gives me data like parked position, when it next needs a service, driving data etc.

They asked me to renew my "We Connect Plus" subscription a few months ago after about a year of ownership, I didn't, assuming all the above would turn off.

However, it all appears to still be working - the only thing that doesn't seem to work any more is remote horn and turn signals.

Despite trying to figure all of this out, I have to admit I am confused. So here are my questions:

1. Is this system communicating with Volkswagen in order to be able to provide me with current vehicle position data? If so, how? Is it via my mobile phone, or does it have its own SIM card? If the latter, how come I am not paying for it?

2. If "We Connect" knows the vehicle position, is it viable as a tracker? Not for insurance purposes (my insurance does not require a tracker to be fitted), but for my own purposes. Or, should I fit a tracker too?

3. I read somewhere that despite not being a "We Connect Plus" subscriber, I can still press the red button for breakdown assistance. How would that work, seeing that I do not have a breakdown assistance contract with VW?

4. Why on earth would I pay them £5 a month for "We Connect Plus"?

Thanks to anyone who can help with this!

Personally, I wouldn’t rely on we connect for anything

I have not yet installed or used the We connect app (coast of a good month old). I don't see the point of it and after a while you even have to pay heavily for it too. My smarthphone tells me where my parked vehicle is. Just like that. Good enough. All the rest I cant see/find in the car or at MyVolkswagen.
Greetings

In the uk the ocean comes with 3 years free subscription to we connect plus. The main differences over the basic we connect are free radio streaming over internet and live traffic info on the nav system.

Back