Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Weight upgrade

C

Chinny

Hello all has anyone uprated the weight limit on a 4 motion if it can be done of course looking at buying one but would like to carry plenty of gear/ people safely thanks

Been covered quite a few times. Generally not required. You would need to carry a lot of gear to get close to limits. In past conversations lots of people got very touchy about it but the consensus was it’s not worth worrying about.

Last edited:
Hello all has anyone uprated the weight limit on a 4 motion if it can be done of course looking at buying one but would like to carry plenty of gear/ people safely thanks

Ok I’ll look closer cheers

I can't see how you can upgrade the Grosse weight above the VW factory specified limit.

T32, the 3200 version of Transporter, has different front struts and bottom mounts. I'm unsure of rear differences other than springs which I have read are used by Oceans.

It would be a modification that would have to be accepted by your Inshurance who may require an Engineers report.

I am pretty uninformed on this, but I am sure I've read somewhere that once you go over a T30 other requirements change, e.g. MOT type? If that's the case it's probably more significant an exercise than just "up-plating" the van?

I am pretty uninformed on this, but I am sure I've read somewhere that once you go over a T30 other requirements change, e.g. MOT type? If that's the case it's probably more significant an exercise than just "up-plating" the van?
MOT Group 7 is 3000kgs to 3500kgs and as the Ocean is (my T6 anyhow) 3080kgs then no change.

MOT Group 7 is 3000kgs to 3500kgs and as the Ocean is (my T6 anyhow) 3080kgs then no change.
I thought Class 7 was for commercial vehicles, but because the Cali is classed as a car (M1 vs N1) it still falls into Class 4 (along with "motor caravans")? In which case it actually doesn't matter at all as I don't think there's officially a weight cap on Class 4 . . .

Back