Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4-motion engine protection

Forote's solution is based in one from another Spanish forum member, jon_irun, which is based in Seikel solution. Actually they both have retrofitted Seikel spring to rise the Cali.

Seikel's underplate is made with 5mm alloy, so I guess that's enough for most of the cases. There is another commercial product I love even more that the Seikel ones, the Terranger ones..... look at this: http://www.terranger.de/epages/6291...ath=/Shops/62914780/Products/TA-T5-703-10-002

I'm going to use alloy. As you say weight is the problem with steel. I'm not considering any serious off road stuff like the Landy guys do just some decent protection for Iceland.

I think we're in the same page, Iceland is also in my pending list, as Morocco is.

I'm also thinking in raise the Cali to get more cleareance to be able to ford better.... but not decided yet between Seikel kit or VB Air Suspension.

I think we're in the same page, Iceland is also in my pending list, as Morocco is.

I'm also thinking in raise the Cali to get more cleareance to be able to ford better.... but not decided yet between Seikel kit or VB Air Suspension.

Go for the VB kit. Far more versatile than the Seikel stuff. Up, down and self levelling and takes the harshness out of the suspension. Had it on ours for a year now and very happy with it.
BTW there is also another place to get underbody protection. Lot cheaper than Seikel whose stuff may be good but is very pricy.
http://xs4x4.parts/vansvolkswagen-108-c.asp
I have seen some of this being fitted on a Cali and it is very well made.
£907 + VAT for engine/gearbox, fuel tank, rear diff and exhaust protection.

That one looks awsome.... do you thing the OEM plastic engine one could be left under the ally one? in between?

Forote's version looks like a little longer (two new holes are need for the most rear bolts), so could cover a little more.

That one looks awsome.... do you thing the OEM plastic engine one could be left under the ally one? in between?

Forote's version looks like a little longer (two new holes are need for the most rear bolts), so could cover a little more.

I doubt it would fit properly with the plastic one still in place as it would lower the alloy one which means the sides wouldn't be quite deep enough to accomodate the plastic. Why would you want to?

To add more protection, the Forote approach allows keep the OEM plastic one in between. Not sure, but I think so do Seikel's one.

Anyway, the option you shaw looks a very good one and the price is good bearing in mind is around one grand for four pieces. BTW, I cannot see the 4 pieces set in the web you've provided neither the diff one.

To add more protection, the Forote approach allows keep the OEM plastic one in between. Not sure, but I think so do Seikel's one.

Anyway, the option you shaw looks a very good one and the price is good bearing in mind is around one grand for four pieces. BTW, I cannot see the 4 pieces set in the web you've provided neither the diff one.

No its not shown on the web page as generally the fourth bit is only required for the 4Motion.

It could be nice to be able make one based on the Terranger one, I like the idea everything is protected, even the heater.

It could be nice to be able make one based on the Terranger one, I like the idea everything is protected, even the heater.

Hmm, I'm not too sure about that. Good protection but I'd be a bit worried about stones and other crap getting jammed underneath it.
Years ago when I was into rallying we used to make sumpguards up for Minis and put a layer of sponge inbetween the guard and the gearbox to prevent stones getting caught. Otherwise the next bump would push the stone through the bottom of the gearbox, game over.

Forote's solution is based in one from another Spanish forum member, jon_irun, which is based in Seikel solution. Actually they both have retrofitted Seikel spring to rise the Cali.

Seikel's underplate is made with 5mm alloy, so I guess that's enough for most of the cases. There is another commercial product I love even more that the Seikel ones, the Terranger ones..... look at this: http://www.terranger.de/epages/6291...ath=/Shops/62914780/Products/TA-T5-703-10-002

That looks like a fantastic bit of kit! However, I have grown quite attached to my kidneys so will not be selling one so I can afford the Terranger protection o_O

BTW there is also another place to get underbody protection. Lot cheaper than Seikel whose stuff may be good but is very pricy.
http://xs4x4.parts/vansvolkswagen-108-c.asp
I have seen some of this being fitted on a Cali and it is very well made.
£907 + VAT for engine/gearbox, fuel tank, rear diff and exhaust protection.

Thanks for the link briwy - that seems far more affordable. Still seriously tempted by the idea of a DIY solution though. Besides, the more I save on anciliaries the more likely I am to be able to upgrade the suspension properly ;)

Go for the VB kit. Far more versatile than the Seikel stuff. Up, down and self levelling and takes the harshness out of the suspension. Had it on ours for a year now and very happy with it.

Mmmm - VB air...... :rolleyes:

Yep.... Terranger one are expensives, and you have to add more than 600€ for the engine protection, which is not included. But I'm wondering if it could be easy to make a home-made version, at the end of the day looks like two flat alluminiuk sheets attached to the engine and diff protections using kind of steel frame, and the sides as if they were side bars.

I'm very tempted by the xs4x4 kit.

Found that the xs4x4 kit is made by Rival and the part number of the 4 pieces kit is 23333.5840.1

Searching the part number in Internet I've found more information. Looks like the whole kit is made with 6mm ally.

The kit's price is around one grand. I think it's a great option. Had a look to the PDF I've attached and the kit looks like very well done.

Attachments

• RIVAL Skidplates VW standard pricelist.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 46
Some pictures, looks great. If there is something I don't like is that the engine protector does not reach the front bumber, so don't overlap it, which is good for when you get stuck and have to drive back.

$_3 (9).JPG

$_3 (8).JPG

$_3 (7).JPG

$_3 (6).JPG

$_3 (5).JPG

$_3 (4).JPG

$_3 (3).JPG

$_3 (2).JPG

$_3 (1).JPG

$_3.JPG

Wait a moment...... reviewing those pictures... looks like the deposit and the diff ones are just plain ally sheets fixed with some "C shaped" pieces of metal... that looks easier than what I was assuming.

Confirming that point in Spanish:
@Forote, las planchas para el depósito y el diferencial son planas y sujetas con unas sujeciones con forma de C, ¿no?. Parece mas fácil de lo que pensé al principio.

If they are nearly flat.
The differential covers and covers deposits are purchased which have posted the video (Alex del oso). They are ex t5.
They are easy to manufacture more or less.

Spanish

Si son casi planas.
El cubre depósitos y cubre diferencial son comprados al que has colgado el video (Alex del oso). Son de su ex t5.
Son fáciles de fábricar mas o menos.

the rival brand, look good. t cheap Seikel sea ...

the rival brand, look good. and cheaper than Seikel ...

They do, I've just asked the provider for a quote for the 4WD kit. In Germany it cost less than 1300 EUR (around 1000 GBP)

Found that the xs4x4 kit is made by Rival and the part number of the 4 pieces kit is 23333.5840.1

Searching the part number in Internet I've found more information. Looks like the whole kit is made with 6mm ally.

The kit's price is around one grand. I think it's a great option. Had a look to the PDF I've attached and the kit looks like very well done.

Yep, in my earlier post. £907 VAT so £1088. Good value I reckon.

I want this on MY T5
http://www.terranger.de/epages/6291...ath=/Shops/62914780/Products/TA-T5-703-10-002

All we know a Cali os not a Defender, but imagine we want to do something like that

Just seen the Morocco video - wish i could have been there, on my wish list but not sure about a solo trip....

Great video and would love to do it but perhaps not in my Cali

Mike

Has anyone tried a DIY installation of the autoranger skid plates?
About to order so...
Would you recommend 2mm steel or 4mm alu or 6mm alu?

Also hoping I won't have any compatbility issues with the VB Air suspension's compressor can etc.

Back