Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4-motion engine protection

motoYAKA

motoYAKA

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Fairly new here but now paid up as a VIP to support the forum.

I am however after some help! Lurking for a while I have been looking at all sorts of mod's for my 4-motion, one of which was a home made engine protection undertray, made out of ally and bent on the driveway using the weight of the T5.
However, and here is where I need some help, I can't find the video again!!!

Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Of course, I may be going mad and it wasn't on here that I saw it, but if anyone can help I would be most appreciative.

Many thanks
moto...

Thats the kiddie! Many thanks briwy :thumb

5eac2a90090522ef0b576096ec427eff.jpg

hi i am who has made such protection. two years later and works perfect. No problem.
My English is very bad, but if you have any questions, ask me.
Greetings.

Hello Forote

Many thanks for producing the video in the first place, and good to hear the protection still works perfect! Have you made protection for any other part of the underside, rear differential, exhaust etc.?

By the way, your English is better than my Spanish any day ;)

@motoYAKA, where are you expecting to get the ally sheet? At the moment I've got not a proper space here in UK to make mine one and I'm waiting to have a chance when at Spain, but because in few months I'll move to Bristol... who knows.... perhaps finally I'll get a place where I could make some DIY :bananadance (just dreaming). Different thing is ally sheet prices here and at Spain.

Hello Forote

Many thanks for producing the video in the first place, and good to hear the protection still works perfect! Have you made protection for any other part of the underside, rear differential, exhaust etc.?

By the way, your English is better than my Spanish any day ;)

Thanks.
Yes. I made the protector rear differential and deposits.
I do not have video, but if some pictures with the measures.
when you have a little time, I look for photos and shipping.

I translate an application has warned me (nick estresado) this thread.

REAR DIFERENTIAL

MEASURES
image_110.jpg

INSTALATION
image_10.jpg

image_20.jpg

image_30.jpg

Deposits

MEASURES

image_120.jpg

INSTALATION
Plastic protectors and under the aluminum.
image_40.jpg

image_50.jpg

image_60.jpg

Detail of cutting the second shield (in whole mounted first)
image_70.jpg

image_80.jpg

mounted guards

image_90.jpg

Go To the mountain!!!

Great work Forote!

And muchas gracias for the additional pictures and dimensions.:thumb

Looks like I have plenty of additional projects to keep me busy :)

Last edited:
@motoYAKA, where are you expecting to get the ally sheet? At the moment I've got not a proper space here in UK to make mine one and I'm waiting to have a chance when at Spain, but because in few months I'll move to Bristol... who knows.... perhaps finally I'll get a place where I could make some DIY :bananadance (just dreaming). Different thing is ally sheet prices here and at Spain.

Hi estresao

I have not yet looked for a supplier, but there are many wholesale metal stockholders in the UK that I can try, obviously starting with the local companies first. I am sure the cost for the raw materials must be lower than buying the completed protection from the likes of Seikel, and I will have the pleasure of making another part for my van :)

For sure, raw material is much cheaper compared to the Seikel's ones.

The one under the engine I think is the easier to make. Even if you don't want to bend the ally by yourself, once you have the proper measures there are workshops with benders which can bend it for you (paying of course). At least in Spain you got that option, and I don't see why you couldn't have it at UK.

Forote's approach is nice as well and is "external dependencies free"... if you got rooms enought somewere.

I guess the diff one should be a little more challenging.

Wait a moment...... reviewing those pictures... looks like the deposit and the diff ones are just plain ally sheets fixed with some "C shaped" pieces of metal... that looks easier than what I was assuming.

Confirming that point in Spanish:
@Forote, las planchas para el depósito y el diferencial son planas y sujetas con unas sujeciones con forma de C, ¿no?. Parece mas fácil de lo que pensé al principio.

I am lucky emough to have a good engineers supplier here and they would charge about £120 for the alloy sheet for the engine protection plate so not too bad. They can also put the bends into it for another £40.

I'm not knocking this in anyway, but having some extensive knowledge of extreme off-roading in my own Land Rover Defender and RAF Land Rovers and the substantial protection available for such vehicles I would be very wary of Aluminium sheet as a protection. Ok, for protection from thrown gravel etc:, but then thick plastic would do the same, especially thick and pliable. But bottoming out over rough ground is another story. On the Defender the protection was 3/8" steel plate, reinforced and bolted to the ladder chassis so it could take the whole vehicle weight if necessary, with compression room between the plate and anything vital, and it got compressed on occasions .

I'm not quite sure whether in our T5 the protection is attached to the chassis.

Do you think, for our T5, it's better use steel instead of alluminium? What about the weight?

It really depends what you want it for. For travelling on stony or unmade roads then aluminium or plastic is fine for flying stone protection. For anything else you need the same gear as Seikel produce and raised suspension. The T5/6 just doesn't have the ground clearance to follow the big boys. My Defender could be jacked up on the underbody protective plates etc.

All we know a Cali os not a Defender, but imagine we want to do something like that

I agree, or the very cheaper version which is a home-made ally protection Forote already made :D

Ha Ha! Would love some kit from Seikel and to be able to go rock bashing like in the YouTube vid (one of my faves by the way), but I am a realist. If I was doing some serious off roading then I would certainly have a more suitable vehicle to do it in than a LWB 4-motion camper. Although if it was an aging SWB 4-mo…….
Had an issue in my old lowered T5 arguing with a rock in the Alps and saw the error of my ways, hence the decision to go up rather than down with the new camper. My aims are to get a bit more protection on the underside than the standard plastic undertray for the engine and something to protect the fuel tank and diff a bit better than the standard crossing of fingers!

What I like about Forote’s YouTube solution is that it uses the standard fixing points on all but the end of the plate, and all fixings are on the front subframe. In his vid he recommends 6mm 5083 or 5074 ally, or if going for 7075 then 10mm. Whilst it is unlikely to support the weight of the van, it should last longer than what is there at present, and probably not far off the protection of the Seikel stuff (would like to take a look for comparison mind).

Back