Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Well it's happened.

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Do you not have the panoramic front on the roof? if you do its possible to persuade the zip to open from outside to leave an opening suitable to climb through.
That's a really handy tip, that is if you're got a panoramic roof. Thanks Andy.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I'm still confused why the sliding door locked? We regularly lock the van with the switch by the driver's door, then exit during the night through the sliding door with a double pull. The sliding door has never yet re-locked itself once shut. The only door to do that on our van seems to be the boot which automatically seems to re-lock after a few minutes inactivity. Maybe there's a different setting on the auto-sliding door?
Think I must have inadvertantly pressed the lower lock button down when getting out as it's never done it before.

5i1ver8ack

5i1ver8ack

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I recently “locked myself out”. All doors except the sliding door had been locked using the button on the driver’s door. The sliding door was seemingly unlocked (i.e., the button was up). I had got out via the sliding door and had not subsequently locked it. But the door was actually apparently locked and would not open. Fortunately, the keys were in the driver’s door pocket and the front windows were open an inch. I used a coat hanger to hook the keys out.

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
How do you get a surf key made up for an older van (mine's 2015)... I assume you have to order one through a VW Commercial dealership?

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
How do you get a surf key made up for an older van (mine's 2015)... I assume you have to order one through a VW Commercial dealership?
a guy on ebay does them. he can make one from a photograph (which is a bit concerning). i have 2 and they work well. less than a tenner a pop

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
No.
You can try Timpsons, or your local locksmith. Some do, some won't. Search eBay, Internet or Amazon for Surf Key.
Key can be cut from key number or photo of key. No electronics just the blade.

Perfectos

Perfectos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Post #11

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Timpsons did mine. If they have suitable key blanks available and the operative has had the training they should be able to do it. They were about £10 a key if memory serves and no ID was asked for. A surf key will only get you in. It won't do anythong else.

Last edited:
Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
No.
You can try Timpsons, or your local locksmith. Some do, some won't. Search eBay, Internet or Amazon for Surf Key.
Key can be cut from key number or photo of key. No electronics just the blade.
Just checked the VW price just now while I was picking up my van from workshop - £92 inc VAT.

Am tempted to check what local locksmith would charge but then as you say that would be just for the blade so good for getting into van but no good for driving it home if you've lost your main keys altogether.

[EDIT] Just seen Borris's post re Timpsons. That sounds a good basic fallback for little money (and hope you've managed to get into your van now Borris).

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Just checked the VW price just now while I was picking up my van from workshop - £92 inc VAT.

Am tempted to check what local locksmith would charge but then as you say that would be just for the blade so good for getting into van but no good for driving it home if you've lost your main keys altogether.

[EDIT] Just seen Borris's post re Timpsons. That sounds a good basic fallback for little money (and hope you've managed to get into your van now Borris).
When we purchased our van we ticked the option for four sets of keys. My wife has just asked me where the other three sets are?

My reply: Why, at home of course. :headbang

Last edited:
J

Jenny H

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
bit late now!...but when camping, put the surf key in a key safe attached to the rear towing eye.

Thank you Ive just ordered one of these as just know this will happen to me at some point - oh & I might need some direction to find the towing eye!?!
Hope youre having a well deserved glass of beverage Borris!

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
If you've been sucked into ticking the four key option box, that gives you keys you'll never use. I think someone has already suggested that you can take one of those keys to pieces, extract the blade, and use that as Surfer key. That way you also have the electronic box as a spare should you need it.

I previously wrapped up Surfer key with insulating tape, and then fixed it to the wiring loom. That way I think you'll be hard pressed to have someone being able to find it. One tip is not to secure it too much, or in too difficult a place to get at, that when you want to retrieve it in the middle of the night, you can't.

V

Vagophile

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just curious. I also think that one day...
However, in my extensive key collection, handed over when I bought my used Cali, is a key which operates all door locks (but not remotely) and starts the van. Is this a special order, or the type of key that @Velma's Dad refers to supplied by VW dealers?

Cali Key.JPG

4x4 joker

4x4 joker

VW T6 Westfalia Club Joker 4motion
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
If you've been sucked into ticking the four key option box, that gives you keys you'll never use. I think someone has already suggested that you can take one of those keys to pieces, extract the blade, and use that as Surfer key. That way you also have the electronic box as a spare should you need it.

I previously wrapped up Surfer key with insulating tape, and then fixed it to the wiring loom. That way I think you'll be hard pressed to have someone being able to find it. One tip is not to secure it too much, or in too difficult a place to get at, that when you want to retrieve it in the middle of the night, you can't.
I wouldn’t post info like that in here as you prob post pics of van and you don’t know who’s reading things

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just curious. I also think that one day...
However, in my extensive key collection, handed over when I bought my used Cali, is a key which operates all door locks (but not remotely) and starts the van. Is this a special order, or the type of key that @Velma's Dad refers to supplied by VW dealers?
I think that is the "£92" key that you can get from VW. It contains a coded chip so can be used to start the van and cancel the alarms etc.

The alternative is a Timpsons/locksmith-made "blade" key that can be used to open the door but, lacking a chip, that's all it does. So only useful if you lock your keys in van (but extremely useful in that scenario).

Perhaps others can verify that?

VW California Club