Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wet carpet between front seats.

P

Pete Wilkins

VIP Member
Wet carpet between the front two seats, also damp on driver's side front carpet but less damp compared to between the seat's. Anyone else had a problem.
Why do I start to look for the cause.

There are a number of things that can cause this, such as blocked roof drains, leaking water tanks and any alterations eg tow bar or radio retro fitted. If you search ‘wet carpet’ using the forum search bar, you’ll see a few different threads about this.

Vehicle model, age etc will help get a targeted response?

We had a problem in the passenger footwell. It turned out an air conditioning hose hadn't been secured. A 10 minute visit to the vw garage fixed it no further issues.

Wet carpet between the front two seats, also damp on driver's side front carpet but less damp compared to between the seat's. Anyone else had a problem.
Why do I start to look for the cause.
There is a thick foam pad covering a wiring loom between the 2 front seats, so that is probably the reason that is the wettest area.
As the Drivers foot well is also wet, start on that side.
1. Check Roof drain on drivers side.
2. Check windscreen carefully for any water ingress along top, sides and bottom.
3. Check in the footwell, under the dashboard for any water marks etc.

2&3 repeat with hose running or when raining.

Water can track, so check the passenger side if the above are negative, On the Passenger side there is the AirCon drain passing through front bulkhead in footwell.

If all the above are negative then check sliding windows above kitchen or in sliding door and lastly Door seals.

Very, very rarely a leak from the water tank, waste tank or pipes from tanks to sink.

Thank you welshgas It appears to be coming down the A post area drivers side, with the rain we have had yesterday no need for hose. It is around the interior wheel arch

Thank you welshgas It appears to be coming down the A post area drivers side, with the rain we have had yesterday no need for hose. It is around the interior wheel arch
Good. I think you’ve found the cause. You need to clear the front roof drain that side.
DO not be too vigorous or you can damage the drain tube or connection.
If the drain is free then water could be leaking around the drain opening. If that is the case. Cover the drain opening and clean/replace mastic/selant around drain opening.

I use this or similar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09D2LHND7/?tag=eliteelect-21

Good. I think you’ve found the cause. You need to clear the front roof drain that side.
DO not be too vigorous or you can damage the drain tube or connection.
If the drain is free then water could be leaking around the drain opening. If that is the case. Cover the drain opening and clean/replace mastic/selant around drain opening.

I use this or similar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09D2LHND7/?tag=eliteelect-21
Search the posts as I had this issue and it turned out to be the drain tube disconnected on drivers side A pillar. It was after a retro fit tow bar was fitted. Real headache ! Hope you find it and solve the problem quickly

There is a thick foam pad covering a wiring loom between the 2 front seats, so that is probably the reason that is the wettest area.
As the Drivers foot well is also wet, start on that side.
1. Check Roof drain on drivers side.
2. Check windscreen carefully for any water ingress along top, sides and bottom.
3. Check in the footwell, under the dashboard for any water marks etc.

2&3 repeat with hose running or when raining.

Water can track, so check the passenger side if the above are negative, On the Passenger side there is the AirCon drain passing through front bulkhead in footwell.

If all the above are negative then check sliding windows above kitchen or in sliding door and lastly Door seals.

Very, very rarely a leak from the water tank, waste tank or pipes from tanks to sink.
Hi Welshgas

I've been searching through the forum as i have the exact same issue described here, I noticed a little but of moisture at first on the drivers side foot well and now the carpet in between the two front seats is soaking wet. i have a 2006 T5 SE .

In your response above you mention checking the roof drains, i had looked at the roof and noticed that when i put the roof up the passenger side gully at the side was full of water - is this indicative of a blocked drain? Also, where do i find them to check if they are blocked?

Any help really appreciated as have completely lost faith in local VW van centre after the issues i experienced when they had it to fit new pumps in the roof (i wouldnt be surprised if they have damaged the drain when messing with the roof)

Steve

Hi Welshgas

I've been searching through the forum as i have the exact same issue described here, I noticed a little but of moisture at first on the drivers side foot well and now the carpet in between the two front seats is soaking wet. i have a 2006 T5 SE .

In your response above you mention checking the roof drains, i had looked at the roof and noticed that when i put the roof up the passenger side gully at the side was full of water - is this indicative of a blocked drain? Also, where do i find them to check if they are blocked?

Any help really appreciated as have completely lost faith in local VW van centre after the issues i experienced when they had it to fit new pumps in the roof (i wouldnt be surprised if they have damaged the drain when messing with the roof)

Steve
There are 4 roof drains.
Rear, open tailgate and Top R and Top L you’ll see a rubber grommet with a central hole. You should be able to see through them if clear.
Front are more involved. Open roof. There is a plastic clip on cover each side , remove, and you see a wiring loom at the windscreen end entering the roof cowl. The drain is below that.
Poor water into the roof gullies and it should drain into the scuttle below the windscreen and to the floor by the front wheels. Van should be parked level or nose down.
if the water doesn’t drain Do Not poke anything down as it is a 2/3 section drainage tube that is push fit with a right angled bend and easily pushed apart.
Use a large syringe , 50/ 100mls or so, ( available on Amazon or eBay )and thin tube with air to suck/ blow to clear drain and check with water poured into the gully as above.

I has also been mentioned a poor seal around the front drain opening. If that is the case insert a drinking straw into drain and reseal with waterproof sealant then remove straw.

Once fixed the carpet should be dried out ASAP either by removing, not easy, or get a mains operated Dehumidifier and run it continuously with the Parking heater on periodically until volume of water removed is minimal.

There are 4 roof drains.
Rear, open tailgate and Top R and Top L you’ll see a rubber grommet with a central hole. You should be able to see through them if clear.
Front are more involved. Open roof. There is a plastic clip on cover each side , remove, and you see a wiring loom at the windscreen end entering the roof cowl. The drain is below that.
Poor water into the roof gullies and it should drain into the scuttle below the windscreen and to the floor by the front wheels. Van should be parked level or nose down.
if the water doesn’t drain Do Not poke anything down as it is a 2/3 section drainage tube that is push fit with a right angled bend and easily pushed apart.
Use a large syringe , 50/ 100mls or so, ( available on Amazon or eBay )and thin tube with air to suck/ blow to clear drain and check with water poured into the gully as above.

I has also been mentioned a poor seal around the front drain opening. If that is the case insert a drinking straw into drain and reseal with waterproof sealant then remove straw.

Once fixed the carpet should be dried out ASAP either by removing, not easy, or get a mains operated Dehumidifier and run it continuously with the Parking heater on periodically until volume of water removed is minimal.
Thanks so much, syringe ordered coming today, just used a mates spot cleaner to take as much of the moisture I could from the carpet now scrounging round to find a dehumidifier!!

Put the roof up and took off the cover and appears blocked passenger side as in the photo attached so will go through the cleaning process you described.

Question is, if that drain is blocked and water not escaping, how would it be getting into the van? Would it simply overflow and find a route? If so any ideas where?!

This forum is bloody awesome and thanks so much for the help so far

IMG_0972.jpeg

Thanks so much, syringe ordered coming today, just used a mates spot cleaner to take as much of the moisture I could from the carpet now scrounging round to find a dehumidifier!!

Put the roof up and took off the cover and appears blocked passenger side as in the photo attached so will go through the cleaning process you described.

Question is, if that drain is blocked and water not escaping, how would it be getting into the van? Would it simply overflow and find a route? If so any ideas where?!

This forum is bloody awesome and thanks so much for the help so far

View attachment 116606
2 ways into the van.
1. the sealant around the drain may not be 100% effective and with a build up of water leak past and down the A Pillar.
2. If the seal around the drain is effective then the build up of water can leak under or over the bellows rubber seal. In the first picture there is a darker patch on the bellows corner where the seam is. A possible point of entry.

My guess is that the passenger side is blocked - so no water getting into the van on that side.

Drivers side I think the drain pipe in the A pillar may have separated so the water is draining off the roof, down the drain & then dripping out the bottom of the dashboard onto the Riverside floor.

If you poke hard enough in the drain on the passenger side you may be able to get that side to leak as well!

Thread 'Fixing my footwell leak'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/fixing-my-footwell-leak.46589/

IMG_3368.jpeg
For me this was the problem. Given the age of your van, may be similar - I think either the brown pipe shrinks with age and becomes detached or someone fitting my stereo may have pulled it. In your case the VW garage may have tugged the brown pipe.

Mine was on the passenger side. Yours may be a different problem but sounds similar.

Last edited:
Thread 'Fixing my footwell leak'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/fixing-my-footwell-leak.46589/

View attachment 116608
For me this was the problem. Given the age of your van, may be similar - I think either the brown pipe shrinks with age and becomes detached or someone fitting my stereo may have pulled it. In your case the VW garage may have tugged the brown pipe.

Mine was on the passenger side. Yours may be a different problem but sounds similar.
Where is that photo taken? In the footwell?

Where is that photo taken? In the footwell?
It’s in the middle of the thread where I say how I fixed it.
It’s in the dashboard above the footwell. It’s the pipe that leads from the roof. I had to remove the glovebox. I would read the thread.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. I have syringed out the passenger side drain and the water flows out onto the floor near the wheel so all good. The drivers side disappears and doesnt drain out so i think the above comments were probably correct and the issue is this side with the pipe in the aframe.

Any guidance as to how to locate where the weakpoints may be? Not sure if its worth me poking about and trying to remove trim etc or just taking it into a garage and getting them to look at it? The pipe Lambeth Cali sent a photo of from his thread is on the passenger side, is there something similar drivers side?

Also, should you expect water to be getting into the drains on the roof with the roof down or does that indicate that the seals around the roof are leaking? May be a stupid question but i am a complete novice on these type of things!!

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. I have syringed out the passenger side drain and the water flows out onto the floor near the wheel so all good. The drivers side disappears and doesnt drain out so i think the above comments were probably correct and the issue is this side with the pipe in the aframe.

Any guidance as to how to locate where the weakpoints may be? Not sure if its worth me poking about and trying to remove trim etc or just taking it into a garage and getting them to look at it? The pipe Lambeth Cali sent a photo of from his thread is on the passenger side, is there something similar drivers side?

Also, should you expect water to be getting into the drains on the roof with the roof down or does that indicate that the seals around the roof are leaking? May be a stupid question but i am a complete novice on these type of things!!

Thanks in advance
You can see the roof drain is in 4 Parts.
In @Lambeth Cali s case Part 13 had become detached from Part 5.

Same system for both front roof drains.

The R angle join between Part 12 & 13 precludes pushing anything down as it is only a push fit.

The A pillar trim is fairly straightforward to remove once the grab handle is removed.
452875000.png

452867700.png

Hi,
I was surprised but found that water constantly gets into the roof even when the roof is down. I guess that’s why the drains are necessary. I had a half term where if it was raining outside the parked van (roof down) it was raining in the footwell!

If your tube has, like mine, become detached from the grommet on the driver’s side then it will be behind the dashboard. V tricky. No easy glove box to remove.

I could see it from below the dash and if you remove any panels there and shine a torch you may be able to at least see if the pipe is detached and dripping. This is all doable but requires lying on the van floor. This is the panel under the dash on passenger side. It was obviously wet so a good clue.
1700669017883.jpeg
You could remove this (see below) but on the driver side. Again with a torch you might be able to see the pipes and if they are detached. If you imagine the pipe coming down the A pillar it sort of comes out behind this plastic panel.
1700669088144.jpeg
These are pretty vital if planning to take things apart.

Stanley 065397 FatMax Screwdriver... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000X2GJCS/?tag=eliteelect-21

Manelord Trim Removal Tool - 5Pcs... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TNR9FRR/?tag=eliteelect-21

I’ve found that VW dealers are hopeless at this stuff so have slowly started to fix non-mechanical things myself. It makes sense for me. You get more confident as you go. I always take photos on my phone before I take things apart so I know how to put them back together!!

I would definitely have a good look from below with a torch as even if you can’t fix it yourself, if you can see the pipe is detached you can then at least show a garage (VW or other) where the problem is.

One final thought. Do you think the garage removed the driver side A pillar trim for your previous repair? Some people who have had stereos fitted or repairs have found that the pipe 13 has been incorrectly squeezed by a useless mechanic working in the A pillar. This could also explain why no water is coming out. There are dozens of videos on YouTube about how to remove the A pillar.

Good luck.

Last edited:
If the water is not comming out of the wheel arch liner, check to see if it come out into the scuttle panel.
lift the bonnet and shine a torch into the scuttle, you should see a rubber bung on each side, on the bulk head , in line with where the tube follows the A pillar line.
it is possible that the rubber valve that lets the water escape from the tube, into the scuttle, has become blocked or the scuttle is full of debris blocking the valve .
if the valve is blocked it will not allow water to Pass as intended, the water will back up the pipe until it reaches a joint, from there it is possible the water leaks out of the joint and down the outside of the pipe. (similar to if the roof seal needs resealing.

get a wedge of paper towel and poke it into the gap where the bonnet release is / dash board and footwell panel.
if the front of the pipe is disconnected the water will simply fall into the footwell, if the water is backing up or leaking from the roof seal the water will appear approximately where the bonnet pull is (glove box on tother side)

How to dismantle T5.1 dash sections for better access

You can see the roof drain is in 4 Parts.
In @Lambeth Cali s case Part 13 had become detached from Part 5.

Same system for both front roof drains.

The R angle join between Part 12 & 13 precludes pushing anything down as it is only a push fit.

The A pillar trim is fairly straightforward to remove once the grab handle is removed.
452875000.png

452867700.png
Btw Steve perhaps this is obvious but even though Welshgas’ diagram only show pipes 12,13 and 5 on the passenger side, they do exist on the drivers side.

Back