Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wet seat belt

18hunts

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
With the extreme weather we have had at times this year the rain has been lashing against the near side of the Cali. I have no option but to park in this position.
This has resulted in the nearside (front passenger) seat belt getting wet. When you pull the seat belt out the part of the belt that's extracted from the pillar is wet.
Is this the result of a blocked drain or due to something else?
The floor around the base of the pillar or inside the kitchen unit is dry.
I have searched but can't find anything regarding this issue, any advice or thoughts on how to solve my dilemma greatly appreciated.

With the extreme weather we have had at times this year the rain has been lashing against the near side of the Cali. I have no option but to park in this position.
This has resulted in the nearside (front passenger) seat belt getting wet. When you pull the seat belt out the part of the belt that's extracted from the pillar is wet.
Is this the result of a blocked drain or due to something else?
The floor around the base of the pillar or inside the kitchen unit is dry.
I have searched but can't find anything regarding this issue, any advice or thoughts on how to solve my dilemma greatly appreciated.
Check the door seal next to the B pillar trim. The plastic trim goes over the seal attachment to the body.
Check the roof drain that side but I would have thought you would have had more generalised wetting.
You might have to remove the B pillar trim to inspect the safety belt reel as it might not function as intended. Also the Inverter is behind the B pillar mains socket.

Thank you WG, when it stops raining I will check. Again thank you for reminding me about the inverter, had forgot that. need to figure out the trim removal.

Thank you WG, when it stops raining I will check. Again thank you for reminding me about the inverter, had forgot that. need to figure out the trim removal.
This gives some indication.

It's been a busy week but have now investigated more fully.
I first took off the upper 'B' pillar trim and whilst there was a small bit of water droplets there was no evidence of running water ingress. Couldn't remove the bottom trim because I don't have the appropriate sized tool for the seat bolts.
Reading on the forum about the issues that people have with the sliding window and associated drain, which is close to the seat belt assembly, I approached the window armed with cotton buds only to find that my channels where almost spotlessly clean and drain clear. A pleasant surprise.
Next I raised the roof and was glad I was sitting in the drivers seat when I did this.
The water that poured from the front nearside corner of the roof was good imitation of Niagara Falls.
As I previously stated we have had extreme wet/windy weather this last year where the wind direction has come from the North-West. Our weather normally comes from the South-West or the cold North-East. The Noth-West wind has been really driving and it would appear to have been forcing the rain into and under the roof with the water collecting in the folds of the roof side wall fabric.
I believe this is where my water has come from to wet the seat belt.

Hopefully I have found why and now need to think about how to minimise the problem in the future.
Thank you WG for your assistance and input.

It's been a busy week but have now investigated more fully.
I first took off the upper 'B' pillar trim and whilst there was a small bit of water droplets there was no evidence of running water ingress. Couldn't remove the bottom trim because I don't have the appropriate sized tool for the seat bolts.
Reading on the forum about the issues that people have with the sliding window and associated drain, which is close to the seat belt assembly, I approached the window armed with cotton buds only to find that my channels where almost spotlessly clean and drain clear. A pleasant surprise.
Next I raised the roof and was glad I was sitting in the drivers seat when I did this.
The water that poured from the front nearside corner of the roof was good imitation of Niagara Falls.
As I previously stated we have had extreme wet/windy weather this last year where the wind direction has come from the North-West. Our weather normally comes from the South-West or the cold North-East. The Noth-West wind has been really driving and it would appear to have been forcing the rain into and under the roof with the water collecting in the folds of the roof side wall fabric.
I believe this is where my water has come from to wet the seat belt.

Hopefully I have found why and now need to think about how to minimise the problem in the future.
Thank you WG for your assistance and input.
I’m very surprised that water was being forced past the roof/body seal. My vehicle is parked outside with no protection from wind or rain and yet the canvas and roof area covered by the closed roof has remained dry.
A simple test, in the dry. Raise the roof and put sheets of paper from the bellows to beyond where the roof seal touches the body. Close roof on the paper. Can you pull the sheets of paper out with the roof closed.
If not then further investigation might be required. I presume all roof drains are working properly.
If you can pull the paper out then the roof might need adjustment to give a tighter seal, or possibly a new seal.

Will try tomorrow.
The front nearside drain has sediment in it and I'm getting a syringe to suck it out.
The other drains are clear.
When I raised the roof the area around the nearside corner was covered in dark/black sediment for a length of approx 30cm along the front of the roof and towards the rear. There was a puddle of water running aft from the corner beyond the front roof mounting assembly.

Will try tomorrow.
The front nearside drain has sediment in it and I'm getting a syringe to suck it out.
The other drains are clear.
When I raised the roof the area around the nearside corner was covered in dark/black sediment for a length of approx 30cm along the front of the roof and towards the rear. There was a puddle of water running aft from the corner beyond the front roof mounting assembly.
It sounds as if the front Nearside drain is not draining properly, and if parked slightly nose down then quit a lot of water could collect there. Mine are totally dry even after a rainstorm that flooded the drive and overcame the drains .
Be careful cleaning the drain, very, very gentle suction and blowing until water runs freely and appears on the ground by front wheel.

I can't understand how rain gets in under the roof when
stationary.

I can't understand how rain gets in under the roof when
stationary.
If the roof is not seated correctly and rain/wind directly on that area, then I can see that happening but the drains should prevent any significant accumulation if working correctly.

If the roof is not seated correctly and rain/wind directly on that area, then I can see that happening but the drains should prevent any significant accumulation if working correctly.
Yes, it would have to a big amount to get into the bellows, must
be a blocked drain.
A few pictures would be good to see.

Back