Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What’s behind the panels in a GC electrical cupboard?

A

Adeybruce

Vehicle
Grand California 680
This afternoons’ job was to investigate the GC’s electrics. Eventually I need more battery storage, a decent inverter and a way to switch the existing 240v sockets to inverter rather than shore power. Here’s what I found
after undoing about 20 screws.
Amongst other things, just trying to work out what work the DC/DC Converter is doing?

34E13BA8-72E7-414C-A90C-787C2C00E219.jpeg

EA1F4ADC-80E9-4DD6-A9E7-354E3FB84D2E.jpeg

16E4F520-35EC-4A71-A3C9-3B79E449EED8.jpeg

9793F744-1E8E-4DD6-8582-02700D327E55.jpeg

Do you think it would it be possible to convert it to run on lithium batteries? and put a bigger solar panel on roof without ripping the interior to shreds?

Do you think it would it be possible to convert it to run on lithium batteries? and put a bigger solar panel on roof without ripping the interior to shreds?
It looks pretty easy to access the key components are wiring; none of it seems so hidden behind panels that it’s inaccessible. Space is limited for more solar on the roof, so the answer may be freestanding panels when stationary.
More batteries/lithium are def possible; it will be interesting to see what people come up with. One easy option would be to replace the leisure battery with a lithium one. Not sure what VW warranty will think of this, plus it’s exposed to the heat/cold under the bonnet.

Thanks for the info!,
It’s just good to know these things are likely to be possible if you find you need more than the van can provide. The next thing I would be thinking about is refillable lpg bottles with an external filling point.

Here’s my gas locker with a German bottle and a Turkish one. Easiest solution for an external fill point would be on the back of the cabinet.
thinking of the same, though would likely only have one refillable bottle, saving space for a ’local’ bottle if stuck for a refill point overseas.

7A45C728-FEDD-4C78-B117-9792F7FC17EB.jpeg

Hope you keep updating us with your progress it’s really useful. I wonder why VW didn’t make these additions an option, the cynic in me thinks they’re going to Capitalise on it and bring out a ‘GC Off Grid’ version at a later date.

hello from Romania!

I have a question (because I searched everywhere but could not find the answer)!
Grand California (I would be interested in the 600 model) comes equipped with a second battery (auxiliary) as standard or is a single battery in the car and also serves the engine (starting)

hello from Romania!

I have a question (because I searched everywhere but could not find the answer)!
Grand California (I would be interested in the 600 model) comes equipped with a second battery (auxiliary) as standard or is a single battery in the car and also serves the engine (starting)

The GC has a main battery in the engine compartment
And a 2nd lesure battery to power the camperpart
Both are AMG 520A/92Ah as far i can read on the technical details given by my VW dealer
I think it sits under the floor in the rear somewhere .

thanks for help!

I did not see the second battery in the car from the dealer and i forget to ask (my mistake)
can it be under the 2 seats bench? where Truma device is located?

thanks for help!

I did not see the second battery in the car from the dealer and i forget to ask (my mistake)
can it be under the 2 seats bench? where Truma device is located?
I think you could be correct .

Just out of interest how long can you go completely off grid for?

Massive variables in that question. The 680 has 170w of solar, which helps a lot. But if your using heating, the fridge etc it won’t last too long without great sunshine. Ideally it could use another leisure battery

Under the bench seat. 12 screws hold the panel in place (one is hidden under the Velcro). The heater/water heater is bigger than I imagined. There’s a little spare space for some extra electronics, but not much.

37A502BB-E7DE-4995-96B8-1DE1686B89F2.jpeg

1CAEF0E7-68A1-4FD9-BC3E-FD850E05C501.jpeg

BEFFD73E-8B14-4CCD-B76C-AA831CEDB934.jpeg

ED275491-7882-4769-A15E-07F5F2AD0248.jpeg

8A5C04DA-BC8C-4C6C-9812-09431B0B5B4E.jpeg

BFBD9DFA-D062-4336-A493-7566807024A7.jpeg

Morning,

How is your flooring holding up ie scuffing, do you have any protection?

Morning,

How is your flooring holding up ie scuffing, do you have any protection?
I have a door mat on the way in, and at the moment no other covering. The flooring seems very scuff resistant, so I’m not too concerned.

Great good to know that as it will save a bit on a fitted mat.

Massive variables in that question. The 680 has 170w of solar, which helps a lot. But if your using heating, the fridge etc it won’t last too long without great sunshine. Ideally it could use another leisure battery
Agree - 170W of solar and one battery seems low. I was looking at the roof layout and wondering if there is space either side of the rear sunlight to add two rectangular solar panels - maybe 120W. Then it's a case of finding space for another battery and inverter (for off-grid 220V).

This afternoons’ job was to investigate the GC’s electrics. Eventually I need more battery storage, a decent inverter and a way to switch the existing 240v sockets to inverter rather than shore power. Here’s what I found
after undoing about 20 screws.
Amongst other things, just trying to work out what work the DC/DC Converter is doing?

View attachment 52769

View attachment 52770

View attachment 52771

View attachment 52772
The datasheet mentions that the DC/DC converter can be used as a battery charger. The only reason that I can think to have 20-30 volts would be to charge the leisure and vehicle batteries in series from the solar panel. As the leisure power circuit is separate from the vehicle power circuit this could work. You can check this by measuring the voltage from the negative terminal of the leisure battery to the vehicle chassis.

Here’s my gas locker with a German bottle and a Turkish one. Easiest solution for an external fill point would be on the back of the cabinet.
thinking of the same, though would likely only have one refillable bottle, saving space for a ’local’ bottle if stuck for a refill point overseas.

View attachment 52922
Hi Adeybruce noticed your gas cylinders have you gone the route of refillable cylinders and if so did you fit the external filler cap.

Thanks

The datasheet mentions that the DC/DC converter can be used as a battery charger. The only reason that I can think to have 20-30 volts would be to charge the leisure and vehicle batteries in series from the solar panel. As the leisure power circuit is separate from the vehicle power circuit this could work. You can check this by measuring the voltage from the negative terminal of the leisure battery to the vehicle chassis.
Now discovered the DC/DC power supply is for the ambient lights. Vehicles without this option don’t have that box

Hi Adeybruce noticed your gas cylinders have you gone the route of refillable cylinders and if so did you fit the external filler cap.

Thanks
Not yet fitted them. I figure I can fit the filler on the end of the cabinet

Back