Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What are you drinking ?

I'm drinking red wine as usual. I don't feel the campaign is at all relevant to me as I NEVER wake up with a hangover. Never have, never will as I don't drink to excess. I'm told red wine is good for my heart.
Oh and I have recently discovered mojitos! - but only when I'm partying!

I'm drinking red wine as usual. I don't feel the campaign is at all relevant to me as I NEVER wake up with a hangover. Never have, never will as I don't drink to excess. I'm told red wine is good for my heart.
Oh and I have recently discovered mojitos! - but only when I'm partying!

I'm not sure to what extent BG is being tongue-in-cheek. But AFAIK, having/not having hangovers isn't a reliable yardstick of whether you're doing long term harm to your liver. Alcohol related liver disease (ARLD) is associated with long term 'everyday' drinking, not bingeing.

I was looking at this the other day, in another context. While UK premature death rates from most diseases have been falling steadily since 1970s (cancer, circulatory, etc etc), one - liver disease mortality - has increased by 500%.

The growth correlates very closely to UK wine consumption increases over the same period. By contrast, big falls in liver disease deaths in France and Italy have been attributed to decreases in wine consumption there, especially lunchtime drinking.

It appears that some people have a genetic predisposition to ARLD and women are much more vulnerable than men, even after adjusting for body weight (sorry girls).

Having said that, I couldn't find any useful figures for the statistical relationship between actual daily/monthly booze intake and ARLD risk, although some indications that it's fairly linear, ie the more you drink, the greater the risk.

Thanks for that. I've been trying to find a decent alcohol free beer for years. Must try those.

Franziskaner alkoholfrei weißbier mit Blutorange is very very very refreshing but only seems to be readily available from DryDrinker.com then it sells out quick. They also do one with lemon and another with elderflower as well as plain old Weißbier too. Beats any other alcohol free stuff I’ve tried by a country mile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh poor you. Elderly parents are such a worry. Fingers crossed today goes well and mum not too upset. On the plus side, this kind of stress is great for banishing constipation! Sorry. TMI.

@Verity I am going to PM you later. Have had the most horrendous day with my Mum and feel we might offer each other a bit of support!!!!!

Ah no, think you have to be a VIP member for me to message you :(
Oh sorry about that! I get a lot of advice, help and support from the Alzheimers Society Forum, Talking Point. There are sadly an awful lot of people dealing with the minefield which is caring for elderly people, with or without dementia and, if you've got time to spare to sit and read through, it (a) makes you realise, however bad your situation, it's not as bad as a lot of people are going through and (b) just like on this forum, there are lots of people who have been through what you're going through and have really helpful hints for dealing with specific issues and life in general. The system for caring for the elderly in this country is woeful/broken, but as usual where the government leaves us high and dry, ordinary folk can be a huge support system. Good luck!

VIP membership is good value for money IMHO, saved me hundreds in the past three years.

I'm not sure to what extent BG is being tongue-in-cheek. But AFAIK, having/not having hangovers isn't a reliable yardstick of whether you're doing long term harm to your liver.

Nothing tongue in cheek about my statement, the TV ads say "tired of waking up with a hangover?" and "wouldn't you like to wake up without a hangover?". To me, these imply that anyone who drinks alcohol must drink to excess. I think my daily single glass of red wine is likely to do far more good to my heart than harm to my liver.

Don't think I've seen those TV ads myself BG.

I think the jury is still out on the stories of red wine really being good for your heart, there's a whole lot of contradictory evidence, although I for one would love it to be true. :cheers

If we do EVERYTHING the doctor tells us, we may not live longer, but it will definitely seem longer :)

If we do EVERYTHING the doctor tells us, we may not live longer, but it will definitely seem longer :)

My yoga teacher reads us a little pearl of wisdom at the end of every class. Your post reminded me of the latest one
'Remember to laugh often. It may not add years to your life but it will add life to your years'. I think that I should get my husband to recite it out loud twenty times a day in the hope it sinks in :)

It's before six, but who cares

View attachment 39168
Ha ha Billy, I'm ahead of you! Sober October lasted about a week, then went back to normal due to demented parents etc etc. It was too hard. We started early today as it is our 26th wedding anniversary (and they said it wouldn't last … actually they didn't - we were made for each other!). Beer with lunch in the pub and a cocktail at our local brewery before 4pm. Back home for a cuppa and an early night now. I just can't take all the excitement.

7FF418B9-66F0-4C78-9498-1FC051DF4221.jpeg
What am I drinking? Nothing....I’ve just finished the bottle!
Happily stuck in my van sheltering from the snow.
Had my photo taken by a news photographer today...he was snapping for a feature on the first snows of winter. Dottie was sporting a fetching pink coat, matching my purple gloves and hat...and her pink lead!
The snow gates outside the site are closed....it’s no time to be thinking about going home...what a shame...will have to ride it out in my van....LOVING IT! And I’m surrounded by VWs...no Calis though...just dogs galore!

Well that went well, actually managed to prove that I am not an alcoholic and drank NO drinkie poos for the whole of October.. Hoorah!! I think?

Mind you, on the stroke of 23:00 ( using BST for this exercise ) , had a nightcap to end it all.
Now am PTS................Heh Heh, Cheers.:cheers
IMG_1939.jpg

Well that went well, actually managed to prove that I am not an alcoholic and drank NO drinkie poos for the whole of October.. Hoorah!! I think?

Mind you, on the stroke of 23:00 ( using BST for this exercise ) , had a nightcap to end it all.
View attachment 39300
Eddie, you did so much better than me. I barely made it through the first week. I am blessed with a husband who drinks every night, not to excess but probably more than the govt and the medical profession would like, a set of parents recently admitted to separate care homes both with dementia and a lovely new home in the country with an Aga and log fires. My dad was an alcoholic, and I was starting to panic that I might be showing tendencies in that direction. This month has not dispelled these worries! I do not drink a lot, but I do like an alcoholic drink with dinner at the end of yet another stress filled day. My waistline would certainly benefit from drinking less as the glass of wine usually leads to a bit of extracurricular nibbling about 9pm as well. I am trying to limit my badness to no more than 1 per night and at least 1 night off per week. I just wish my life would calm down a bit so I could be more in control of my emotions. I do not see that happening any time soon, though, with my father now refusing to eat and my mother in abject misery and wishing she could kill herself. I'm determined that the drink will not become my crutch though, as it did for my dad.

Sorry, this post was meant to be light hearted, and I see that as usual I have spiralled out of control again. Thank goodness for Earl Grey through the day!

Blimey, I think you are entitled to unwind with a glass with all that going on in your life.
I don't think I can say much on here except take heart and a day at a time.
My parents are long gone, Mum, Bless her, was very Bi Polar and Dad, Ex Royal Navy, was of the daily tot of Rum school. I carry both traits........
Like the past month time marches on and nothing is forever.

View attachment 39300

Well done! A very considerable achievement and not one I think I could do! Cheers :cheers

Back