Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What have I done?

Skootyalan

Skootyalan

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I never intended to buy a camper van, it wasn't on my game plan. However, to be fair, it was always on Sue's.

I think my fundamental mistake was going to Liverpool VW Centre in early September to have a look! Well, that mistake was compounded by taking my daughter and her husband with us, I now know they are also very keen! :rolleyes:

Apparently, I was very impressed by the quality and design of the California. Although, I have a nagging suspicion it is intended to provide a warm and comfortable base for my birdwatching wife's adventures. With yours truly dragged along as photographic assistant!

Anyways, the upshot is, my game plan seems to have changed!

A two tone (candy white/bayleaf green) 4 motion California Ocean will go into build in week 49!

Accessories?

driver assistance pack
storage net
diff lock
nav pro
shower connection
comfort mat
silver awning
4 keys (as opposed to four candles!)
mudflaps
80l fuel tank
all weather tyres
safe
heated windscreen

My counselling session is booked for mid December :oops:

I would appreciate any comments on the spec. Is there anything important that I have missed?

Now where did I put that bottle of wine? ;)

alan

I never intended to buy a camper van, it wasn't on my game plan. However, to be fair, it was always on Sue's.

I think my fundamental mistake was going to Liverpool VW Centre in early September to have a look! Well, that mistake was compounded by taking my daughter and her husband with us, I now know they are also very keen! :rolleyes:

Apparently, I was very impressed by the quality and design of the California. Although, I have a nagging suspicion it is intended to provide a warm and comfortable base for my birdwatching wife's adventures. With yours truly dragged along as photographic assistant!

A two tone (candy white/bayleaf green) 4 motion California Ocean will go into build in week 49!

Accessories?

driver assistance pack
storage net
diff lock
nav pro
shower connection
comfort mat
silver awning
mudflaps
80l fuel tank
all weather tyres
safe
heated windscreen

I would appreciate any comments on the spec. Is there anything important that I have missed?

alan
Great specification. My white/bronze Ocean is being built next week. Similar spec’ to yours minus 4motion. Having read a few threads on this forum I’m beginning to wish I’d gone for 4-wheel drive.

Plenty of space for several bottles of wine in w Cali. :happy

Sounds like your daughter and son in law have their eyes on your van already.

Well done and congrats. You won't regret it.

I guess you've thought about it, but many silver awning owners wish they'd gone black (and saved a few £).

Sounds like you’ve made lots of good choices Including a great two tone combo.

Good one going for the silver awning too, it blends in to the paler coloured vehicles much better. Of course I am biased as I have a silver awning with no regrets.

Accessories?

driver assistance pack
storage net
diff lock
nav pro
shower connection
comfort mat
silver awning
mudflaps
80l fuel tank
all weather tyres
safe
heated windscreen

alan
I don’t like it.

I LOVE it. Have fun twitching.
Best decision we have made as a family to have a Cali, it’s bought us closer together And I don’t mean in the terms of what can sometimes be limited space for 2 adults a 6 year old and basset hound

I guess you've thought about it, but many silver awning owners wish they'd gone black (and saved a few £).
I was quoted the same for both? And loved the silver, as if matched the Cali.

Accessories?

driver assistance pack
storage net
diff lock
nav pro
shower connection
comfort mat
silver awning
mudflaps
80l fuel tank
all weather tyres
safe
heated windscreen

alan

Wow that must be a full house surely ! Congratulations will look lovely in the 2 tone.
What about the vinyl floor?

When I sold my Cali, my daughter who is 25 was nearly as upset as me, I think she was hatching a plan to borrow it and had dropped several hints.

I didn't tell her I had sold it until it had gone.

Hope you create some fantastic memories but keep your keys well hidden, everything my daughter borrows either doesn't come back or is broken when it does.

Accessories?

driver assistance pack
storage net
diff lock
nav pro
shower connection
comfort mat
silver awning
mudflaps
80l fuel tank
all weather tyres
safe
heated windscreen

alan

Hi Alan,

We had the exact same experience at Liverpool Van Centre. Ended up ordering a very similar spec vehicle to yourself minus the mud flaps. Looking forward to delivery now. Did the Guys at the van centre give you a build date yet? We ordered ours the back end of September too. Out of interest what wheels have you gone for? We went for Palmerstone wheels and think the contrast looks great.

Hi Alan,

We had the exact same experience at Liverpool Van Centre. Endud up ordering a very similar spec vehicle to yourself minus the mud flaps. Looking forward to delivery now. Did the Guys at the van centre give you a build date yet? We ordered ours the back end of September too.
We ordered on 2nd September. A couple of weeks later we were told week 45 for build, which is the 1st week in November. Delivery to Liverpool should be mid December. A rather luxurious Christmas present!

Much quicker than the window we were initially given.

Last edited:
We ordered on 2nd September. A couple of weeks later we were told week 49 for build, which is the 1st week in November. Delivery to Liverpool should be mid December. A rather luxurious Christmas present!

Much quicker than the window we were initially given.

Excellent! Superb Christmas pressie. Would love to see some pics when it arrives. Looking at my order form, they have given me an expected delivery date of 11th February. He did say more than likely it would be the end of January. I'm quite happy to wait till February if that's the case though.

that sounds a great spec, and (to me) it's equally vital that you're both bought-in - it's a tough sell to get a reluctant camper along & rarely ends well IMO.

enjoy!

What have you done? The right thing! Sounds like you'll have lots of fun.

Congratulations!

We get back from a trip, clean it up and immediately start to plan and look forward to the next one. It’s a way of life really for the two of us plus Daphne, the Vizsla. So flexible and augments other interests so well that we should have bought one decades earlier in life. Enjoy it when it arrives, i am sure you will.

Auxilary heating... draws fuel from the fuel tank to heat the inside when you are parked. Programmable and controllable. Suspect you'll find lots of threads about it on this forum but I wouldn't be without it. Amazed that I can't see any people mention it as it is a key option.... if you don't get it then you'll remember this post with regret next time you are shivering and wondering why your Cali does not feel that warm and cozy in the xcolder seasons.

Welcome here and wonderful post!

So we soon get pictures of your vand AND birds? Did you get the front zipper poptop roof and aux heater?

Happy camping!

At least you got a nice place to return after carrying heavy photographer stuff/binoculars.

Auxilary heating... draws fuel from the fuel tank to heat the inside when you are parked. Programmable and controllable. Suspect you'll find lots of threads about it on this forum but I wouldn't be without it. Amazed that I can't see any people mention it as it is a key option.... if you don't get it then you'll remember this post with regret next time you are shivering and wondering why your Cali does not feel that warm and cozy in the xcolder seasons.
It’s standard on Coast and Ocean models, hence not mentioned

Back