Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What is bad driving?

Which of these motoring habits irritate you the most? (Choose up to 3)

• Permanent occupation of the outside lane on the motorway because the speedo says 70

• Sitting in the outer lane of a dual cariageway at 60 because it's an A road

• Slowing down to a crawl at roundabouts when nobody is coming

• Slowing down to a crawl at a green light because it may change to red

• Leaving a 100m gap in front in a queue of crawling traffic

• Nudging 1m from cones into merging traffic that had already politely merged 200m back

• Pulling out from a junction in front of traffic, when there is a large gap further back

• Slowing down on a main road to wave someone out when there is nobody behind

• Reducing speed to 5 MPH because the scene of the accident causing the jam is too interesting to miss

• Stopping on the hard shoulder for a wee or to get a twix from the boot

Results are only viewable after voting.
If I undertake I will be committing an offence and potentially causing an accident, so I would move to the outer lane to overtake.
My thinking is that in this country undertaking is not allowed (in this context) so we do not expect traffic to be passing on the left so there is a danger that the middle lane hogger could move across into the slow lane and collide with me.
Incorrect I'm afraid. There are circumstances where it is acceptable and not illegal.

Scenario.
Motorway. You can travel at 70 in the inner lane. Cars are whistling pass in the outer lane in excess of 70 mph.
You come across a vehicle in the Middle lane doing 60.
Question. Do you continue at 70 thus undertaking the vehicle or do you cross to the outer lane overtake then pull back into the inner lane?
If I was already in the left hand lane, then I would undertake; If I was in any other lane, overtake (whilst passing the BMW driver sat 2cm away from the 60mph cars bumper)

Early one morning, travelling at quite a high speed on a dual carriageway, with no-one else around, I rapidly approached a dark blue Volvo driving in the right lane with no traffic in the left lane. In @TripleBee style, I set about persuading the driver to pull over by letting them know that I was there behind them. Just before I drove too close, a big sign flipped up in the rear window of the car saying "SLOW DOWN" in large blue coloured lettering. I slowed down.
After following the car for about a minute, it pulled over into the left lane allowing me to pass. The uniformed police driver smiled and gave a thumbs up as I did so. A lesson learned.
Just in case you want to know, I was driving a BMW 5. I promise that I am now a reformed character.

Incorrect I'm afraid. There are circumstances where it is acceptable and not illegal.

Exactly, which is why I said “in this context”. Referring to your example.

The Highway Code, Roadcraft and your RAC link all clarify the circumstances where it is acceptable to “undertake“ but in the scenario you described I still think you would be in the wrong.

Early one morning, travelling at quite a high speed on a dual carriageway, with no-one else around, I rapidly approached a dark blue Volvo driving in the right lane with no traffic in the left lane. In @TripleBee style, I set about persuading the driver to pull over by letting them know that I was there behind them. Just before I drove too close, a big sign flipped up in the rear window of the car saying "SLOW DOWN" in large blue coloured lettering. I slowed down.
After following the car for about a minute, it pulled over into the left lane allowing me to pass. The uniformed police driver smiled and gave a thumbs up as I did so. A lesson learned.
Just in case you want to know, I was driving a BMW 5. I promise that I am now a reformed character.
Since getting a Cali the fear of police faded with the relaxed style as a result of the handling and the fuel economy I willing accept. ( target 40+)
The ACC has taken the stress out of the variable speed highland tourist driving, no where to overtake and will not pull over unless the BMW / Audi /Volvo had blue lights.

Used to drive me mad, now just click and chill :)

Exactly, which is why I said “in this context”. Referring to your example.

The Highway Code, Roadcraft and your RAC link all clarify the circumstances where it is acceptable to “undertake“ but in the scenario you described I still think you would be in the wrong.
I would beg to differ. Pulling across the lanes to overtake in the outer lane, in my scenario would mean possibly speeding up, over 70 , to get into the outer lane safely where cars are overtaking at greater than the speed limit. Thus I would be breaking the law.

I would beg to differ. Pulling across the lanes to overtake in the outer lane, in my scenario would mean possibly speeding up, over 70 , to get into the outer lane safely where cars are overtaking at greater than the speed limit. Thus I would be breaking the law.

I disagree.

You manoeuvre into the middle lane, and wait behind the pillock in the middle lane until safe to overtake.

I disagree.

You manoeuvre into the middle lane, and wait behind the pillock in the middle lane until safe to overtake.
Highway Code says you should drive in the L hand lane unless overtaking, so the pillock is already driving contrary to the Highway Code. There is no Road Traffic Law on the statue books that says you must always overtake on the Left. So if you can accomplish the maneuver safely it is perfectly legal.

Highway Code says you should drive in the L hand lane unless overtaking, so the pillock is already driving contrary to the Highway Code. There is no Road Traffic Law on the statue books that says you must always overtake on the Left. So if you can accomplish the maneuver safely it is perfectly legal.
Be careful what you say about the ‘pillock’ in the middle lane…

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should
[…]
-only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so
[…]

This is a should, not a must, so unlikely to be illegal. But if something goes wrong, you’d have a hard time convincing an insurer that you were in the right.

[…]
-only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so
[…]

This is a should, not a must, so unlikely to be illegal. But if something goes wrong, you’d have a hard time convincing an insurer that you were in the right.
As I said. There is no Law regarding the legality of which side to overtake a vehicle. However laws relating to Dangerous Driving or Driving without Due Care and Attention are on the Statute Book.

[…]
[…]

A lot of folks get confused about the relationship between the Highway Code and the various criminal laws. While the HC isn't law, in practice it's often the key point of reference for a prosecution, very often in careless driving cases. However some specific contraventions, eg failing to comply with traffic signs/signal, are charged under specific corresponding offence codes within the Road Traffic Act.

Maybe spin this around and discuss good habits people do when driving their California :)

No that’s Daddy Duck. Just like Peppers Daddy pig. How do I know this ? I’m a Grand Daddy.

Back