Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What makes the Cali such an outstanding camper?

• Thread starter cpjb@btinternet.com
  • Start date
cpjb@btinternet.com

cpjb@btinternet.com

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I was idling the time away the other day trying to distill the key items that makes the Cali such a great vehicle from a camper perspective, ignoring things like driveability, engine power, high driving position, lower depreciation etc...

1. The front seat rotate to create a "comfortable" sitting room
2. The roof lifts to create additional head room
3. The rear seat adapts to become a lower double bed
4. The "upstairs space" adapts to become an upper double bed
5. There are plenty of clever compartments for storage, and the boot space is ample
6. It has running water and a sink
7. It has double gas burners and a compartment for the gas
8. It has a fridge which runs of battery or mains
9. It has an independent diesel heater
10. It has built in "black out" blinds
11. It has a built in internal sliding table
12. It has a detachable larger table
13. It has 2 fold away seats
14. It has a mains power input and internal mains socket
15. It has leisure batteries and internal 12v sockets
16. It has internal led lights
17. it has built in awning rails for accessories
18. It has a wind out awning (most do anyway)
19. It can carry bicycles easily if you have the carrier
20. There is an extensive ready made 3rd party accessory list, e.g., internal/external topper, mattress toppers, Brandrup etc

I'm aware that the Beach does not have all of the above, but I'm sure most thing are common, and it probably offers some flexibility in some areas that the SE/Ocean doesn't (Beach owners appeased).

It's a wonder they can knock Cali's out so cheap, given everything they pack into it.

Have I missed anything?

I was idling the time away the other day trying to distill the key items that makes the Cali such a great vehicle from a camper perspective, ignoring things like driveability, engine power, high driving position, lower depreciation etc...

1. The front seat rotate to create a "comfortable" sitting room
2. The roof lifts to create additional head room
3. The rear seat adapts to become a lower double bed
4. The "upstairs space" adapts to become an upper double bed
5. There are plenty of clever compartments for storage, and the boot space is ample
6. It has running water and a sink
7. It has double gas burners and a compartment for the gas
8. It has a fridge which runs of battery or mains
9. It has an independent diesel heater
10. It has built in "black out" blinds
11. It has a built in internal sliding table
12. It has a detachable larger table
13. It has 2 fold away seats
14. It has a mains power input and internal mains socket
15. It has leisure batteries and internal 12v sockets
16. It has internal led lights
17. it has built in awning rails for accessories
18. It has a wind out awning (most do anyway)
19. It can carry bicycles easily if you have the carrier
20. There is an extensive ready made 3rd party accessory list, e.g., internal/external topper, mattress toppers, Brandrup etc

I'm aware that the Beach does not have all of the above, but I'm sure most thing are common, and it probably offers some flexibility in some areas that the SE/Ocean doesn't (Beach owners appeased).

It's a wonder they can knock Cali's out so cheap, given everything they pack into it.

Have I missed anything?
Knock them out cheap?! o_O

I think there is an extra dimension : I've not been able to exactly put my finger on it but in rough terms....
1) at the most general level it's something to do with being in a vehicle that can provide many of the most basic needs (remember Maslow's hierarchy of needs). Knowing you can drink, shelter, have light, drive hundreds of miles, feed yourself, sleep, stay warm, change scenery. (edit: ESCAPE)
2) at a much more superficial level, our fascination with equipping and organising our Cali's speaks to a human need to be organised and optimised. Achieving perfection is normally is out of reach in our general lives (kids, relationships etc) but in a Cali feels achievable. That's why we spend £70 on a little faux leather storage solution for our herbs.
Brandrup understand this!

Last edited:
For me its because its an original Vdub.

And if you like, you can customise or personalise it with the endless
amount of stuff available for them.
I think the chairs fitting in the rear door is its real party piece.

Knock em out what ????:Nailbiting:Nailbiting

if you have a beach it does one more amazing thing....it shifts huge loads of stuff...I've had fridge freezers....sofas .....the lot in mine...the guy at the tip even lifted the barrier for me and said nice van mate

This deffo has the makings of a Beach/Ocean grudge match.

No kicking, biting or scratching. Nice clean fight please.

if you have a beach it does one more amazing thing....it shifts huge loads of stuff...I've had fridge freezers....sofas .....the lot in mine...the guy at the tip even lifted the barrier for me and said nice van mate
Yes but if you get an Ocean it comes with a fridge/freezer and a nice sofa, the lot really.
The guy at the tip said to me ´nice camper mate´:thefinger

I´ve always wanted to use that emoji.lol

not many people use a cali to give you a quote for tarmacing your drive

What makes a Cali such an outstanding camper?

Just becose it's mine ....

It's our den, just a bit more technical than the ones we played in as kids!

And it's like a Swiss penknife too :)

It's funny, my wife and I were remarking last weekend when we were away in the loan Cali about just how brilliant the vehicle is. I think it was possible the honeymoon period of starting to have a camper of any kind.

We are blown away by the flexibility of having a camper generally. We changed our plans last weekend due to the snow and simply looked in the britstops book and then stayed somewhere different that suited.

I think it's the ability to just drive somewhere in total comfort, then pop the roof, swivel the seats, pull a couple of levers and you've got a bed, in the warm, dry, safe.

It's just brilliant.

There is a magic to a Cali that I feel every time that I get in it.

I think, for me, it is just the sheer competence of the vehicle. You know it can take you anywhere, within the compromises of space it will do everything well, it feels warm, sturdy and reassuring. For me it is just that feel of a friend, a protector, a nest, a shelter.

I will never get over that feeling that I had in Scotland, that week of storms, 8th weather warning coming in at 90 mph, and being out in the open knowing that whatever happens I will be warm and safe. Magic: sheer magic.

Last edited:
On that note,
After a busy day at work when everything seems like its gone wrong and you got nowhere it's always been a pleasure to get back into a new car. Nice ones at that. But I've had a few of those days already this year :rolleyes: and when I get back to the car park and approach my California, the glee & excitement is over and above anything car wise that I can remember. I can't wait for my 1st proper trip (roll on the 29th).

Last edited:
We looked at many campers and the thing that stands the Cali out among the crowd is that they are ....
Simple , uncomplicated and they work.

For me it’s the huge possibilities that the Cali opens up. So many times I’ll be working on the computer only to end up idling hours away looking at routes to Spain, campsites in the Alps, timings to get here or there or simply saying ‘fancy hitting the New Forest this weekend’ with zero reservations or bookings needed in advance. It opens up your world as a Cali owner.

& j just love the 6th gear on the motorway....85mph easy cruising with hardly any engine noise makes transfers v carefree.

For a van that's small enough to be a daily driver but large enough to do everything you need - the Cali to me is just a distillation of all the other and various campervans I looked at. I didn't even know anything about Calis, but as soon as I stepped into mine it seemed to me that I wouldn't have to compromise in any way, and I still feel that way after nearly two years.

Simply the best, it’s an adventure even if we just pop to the shops.

But can't all these things come with any bespoke VW Camper conversion?
or come to that any camper?
where did I put that flak jacket!

No, and my 2 sons who have conversions from respected companies agree.

I nearly bought a bilbo, and they have some great features. But I know I would have always then looked at a Cali with green eyes known Ng I had settled for 2nd best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back