Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What makes the Cali such an outstanding camper?

• Thread starter cpjb@btinternet.com
  • Start date
But can't all these things come with any bespoke VW Camper conversion?
or come to that any camper?
where did I put that flak jacket!

When I was looking I looked at conversions but the California was the only van to meet my basic requirements: Sliding seat rails and fifth seat for flexibility and load space, inboard water tank for winter camping, twin leisure batteries and a good diesel heater. I couldn't get all that in any of the conversions I looked at.

I looked at conversions, with 2 highly recommended companies on the T6 forum and got messed about by the companies wasted time waiting for quotes and generally received poor customer service.
I finally looked at California s and realised it was going to be cheaper buy a ex demo than getting a van converted. Really pleased I did as all the little touches built in to the cali would never have been matched by the conversion. Also some of the conversion companies workmanship is absolutely shocking.

Each to their own I Guess but for me the Cali wins hands down over the conversions I looked at, and the 5 year warranty gives me peace of mind and confidence in the product

I have to confess now...
I too looked LONG and HARD at a Reimo from CMC which was the best of the conversions imho. though I also liked Vanworx stuff..and even had a Reimo all costed and specced up as I wanted...
but at end of day it was the fact it was VW's own factory model based on a Caravelle not a van prepared by factory for conversion, plus so much all came as standard on the SE...plus the fact that all the interior was covered by VW at a dealer if a prob ie no long drive back to convertor...plus a conversion was not really that much cheaper when you specced it like a base SE...and stuff like Alacantara upholstery was actually not really that dear and very, very nice (so much lighter and nicer looking than standard finish)...and I could go on and on here about the pluses...eg residuals (not that that influenced me as not into selling on)...the door on the "wrong side" was NOT an issue, I prefer the proper swivel for the LHD seat ...and the lovely stuff like chairs in tailgate and table in door...
nothing else comes close... and as for the Marco Polo and similar...not impressed at all...and that awful Bilbo roof...yuk!
6 years on and still best decision I ever made (vehicle wise) despite roof corrosion (I was one of lucky ones who had new canvas and excellent service)...
:kiss

I have to confess now...
I too looked LONG and HARD at a Reimo from CMC which was the best of the conversions imho. though I also liked Vanworx stuff..and even had a Reimo all costed and specced up as I wanted...
but at end of day it was the fact it was VW's own factory model based on a Caravelle not a van prepared by factory for conversion, plus so much all came as standard on the SE...plus the fact that all the interior was covered by VW at a dealer if a prob ie no long drive back to convertor...plus a conversion was not really that much cheaper when you specced it like a base SE...and stuff like Alacantara upholstery was actually not really that dear and very, very nice (so much lighter and nicer looking than standard finish)...and I could go on and on here about the pluses...eg residuals (not that that influenced me as not into selling on)...the door on the "wrong side" was NOT an issue, I prefer the proper swivel for the LHD seat ...and the lovely stuff like chairs in tailgate and table in door...
nothing else comes close... and as for the Marco Polo and similar...not impressed at all...and that awful Bilbo roof...yuk!
6 years on and still best decision I ever made (vehicle wise) despite roof corrosion (I was one of lucky ones who had new canvas and excellent service)...
:kiss

David, if you are the same David Eccles of splitty fame, then I’m sure you will know where I’m coming from (if not, I’m sure others will). I am an air cooled enthusiast, through and through. My first camping trip in our split screen van in the evening with our young daughter, the curtains drawn on bonfire weekend and the propex heater on, nothing beats that.

We then bought a 56 plate california when they first came out and used to tow splitties on a trailer to the shows, but always slept in the splitty because they are so special. Sold the california because weren’t using it even though it was amazing, work patterns changed.

Family grows and the splitty became a Westy bay window (need a roof bed and the best bay conversion imo), and loved it.

Sold the bay last year with a tear in my eye because I knew we were unlikely to buy another air cooled camper.

The only choice for me was a new california. When I remember back to the 56 plate which we called Arthur (because it was “arf” a uk van and “arf” a European van with the sliding door in the wrong side) it was a Swiss Army knife on wheels. We did decent mileage, towed other vans on trailers with ease (174 bhp tip Tronic at the time), used it as a daily driver, held meetings in it, when away from home had somewhere to work in comfort, the list goes on. This is before mentioning what it did as a camper!

The air cooled vans started the whole thing off, and the freedom and enjoyment they offered us over the last 20 years was without compare. The final straw was a trip we did to the alps in our ‘71 westy. On the climb into the mountains, we kept stopping to let the engine cool which was part of the trip, you take a more leisurely pace. In reality, that van was never designed to carry the amount of stuff we had with a family of four and four mountain bikes on a towball rack. But it did it.

The California offers exactly the same as every other Vw camper. The ability to get out there, no matter how you choose to do it. It has just evolved to the best it can be for today. No matter what you want it for, it does it all so well.

Just hope mine arrives soon!!

Had a Transit then a T6 Bilbo, now in a high spec Cali, wasted a bundle wish I had had listened to my mate. ‘No matter how good a conversion it’s just that a conversion’
Love every drive in it.

David, if you are the same David Eccles of splitty fame, then I’m sure you will know where I’m coming from
The California offers exactly the same as every other Vw camper. The ability to get out there, no matter how you choose to do it. It has just evolved to the best it can be for today. No matter what you want it for, it does it all so well.

Just hope mine arrives soon!!

Yup that's me! 34 years with the same Split then a move to a Cali (aka the Darkside by my split owning friends!) you sum it all up neatly above!
For many of us it's also about being part of a VW Bus community, and gathering at shows to share passion. Even if I sometimes feel a bit odd camped up with all the split buses!

Back